Acro exposure to air

I have seen many photos with acro colonies exposed to the air and sun during the lowtides. I was just curious how come I have'nt heard of anyone trying to mimic this daily phenomenon in their home aquariums? Will exposure to the air and direct light have any possible benefits? Could there be some hidden secret? If Acros do not like being exposed during low-tide why have they not all evolved to live deeper down? Anyway..the production of mucus to protect them from UV radiation from the sun is not really cost effective as it is metabolically taxing to produce mucus.

Anyway...hope my question does'nt sound stupid... :D

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Believe me, the SPS nuts here in SRC have talked about this many times.

Unfortunately, I think the reason why its not practical is because you need to have some form of mechanism to lift the LR and the corals up out into the air or have some form of water drainage to lower the water level, exposing the corals.

No. 2 is because our MH bulbs are very hot and high in UV... its highly possible that you may burn your corals and how do you know when enough is enough if you want them exposed?

No. 3... do you really want to deal with all the mucus slime produced after you dip them back into the water? ;)