Project Reef: Ocean's Three

redmushroom

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
actually... once ur tank stabled, its better not to put anything in ur filter area as it will hold the dirty left over foods or poo... a filter sponge is good enough...

I've thought of that bro, but then again i was hoping that the LR's in the sump compartment will serve the same purpose of filtration and de-nitrifying as the rest of the LR's in my main tank.. instead of using plastic bio-balls. ;)

However, will still monitor my tank parameters regularly and see how it goes. Point noted anyway, and thanks bro! :D

Keep the comments coming!

• SRC Member

cool! such a supportive gf to arrange ur LRs. mine will be long gone even if i ask her to touch the water. :(

Project R.E.

Main Tank: 48" x 18" x 24" 12mm with external overflow piping

Sump Tank: 28" x 14.5" x 12" (3 compartments)

Lightings: T5 HO - Hopar 3* 39w + ATI 2* 54w

Skimmer: Skimz Bullet Beckett

Chiller: Resun CL-650 (28 - 29 °C)

Wavemakers: 2* Seio M620 + 1* Hydor K2 (7100 litre / hr)

Fluidized Reactor: Skimz FR (currently empty)

Pumps: 1x Rio 32HF (Skimmer), 1x Rio 20HF (Return & Chiller)

Filtration: more than 80kg LRs, chaeto

Water Circulation: ~ 4000 litre / hr

Future Plans: additional wavemaker, DIY algae scrubber, DIY overflow box

Previously:

Project R : 36" x 12" x 24" 10mm reef

• SRC Member
cool! such a supportive gf to arrange ur LRs. mine will be long gone even if i ask her to touch the water. :(

Haha..... that's true... i am very lucky that my gf likes this hobby too, which is why i decided to set-up this new 3ft tank. This way, we'll both have fun doing things we both enjoy! :lol:

Anyway, she will be in charge of the scaping of my tank. :eyebrow:

Will get it done this saturday... can't wait!

• SRC Member

Like most reefers, l also envy tt you have a supportive GF who is actually interested in this hobby.

Actually those LR in yr sump have pretty nice shapes and sizes for scaping. Why not have them in the main tank instead and leave the sump empty?

• SRC Member
Here's the finished product! :evil:

Thought it looks damn cool... what do you say guys?

i think you should have the filter wool wrapped upwards since the overflow splashes to the sides of the compartment, you will be able to "catch" more dirt and blah blah on the way down.. hope i can be understood... B)

anyway, the fellow reefers is correct to say that in time to come you will realise that a lot of detritus will be caught among the liverocks in the sump which is not a good thing, and when you decide to clear them later on, you will have a

detritus-filled tank; which happened to me... :angry:

just my 2 cents... :angel:

• SRC Member
Like most reefers, l also envy tt you have a supportive GF who is actually interested in this hobby.

Actually those LR in yr sump have pretty nice shapes and sizes for scaping. Why not have them in the main tank instead and leave the sump empty?

Hahaa Bro Underwater, if u have realised, the LR's in the sump are very small pieces which i purposely chose.

I'd probably need like a hundred pieces to scape my tank if i were to use them! :shock:

Anyway, i dun intend to leave the sump empty, firstly because of the splashing and dripping noises it will make, and secondly, i want to make use of that space for some natural filtration and de-nitrification. Thot it looks nice and cool too.. with the LR's in that compartment! :evil:

• SRC Member

the way u kept the rocks in the sump, resembles those at Coral farm :lol: I too have Live rocks as the same wat as u , but its submerged in the sump water. It is dead rock when i put them in, now they have all turn purple and cured.

Why not allow ur rocks be at the most bottom area whereby micro organism could breed in the rocks and be transported back into the main tank by the rtn pump ? :unsure: The way u leave it would be another source of detritus collecting area unless u faithfully change the filter wool every abt 5 days ?Also depending how may fishes u have and whether heavy feeding by u and ur Gal B)

Do keep more pics coming, great to see phase by phase set up tank.. Wonderful girlfriend again :lol:

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

• SRC Member

i think you should have the filter wool wrapped upwards since the overflow splashes to the sides of the compartment, you will be able to "catch" more dirt and blah blah on the way down.. hope i can be understood... B)

anyway, the fellow reefers is correct to say that in time to come you will realise that a lot of detritus will be caught among the liverocks in the sump which is not a good thing, and when you decide to clear them later on, you will have a

detritus-filled tank; which happened to me... :angry:

just my 2 cents... :angel:

Hey jasment... nice to see you here in my thread! :lol:

Yeah i DEFINITELY will be putting more filter wool in the compartment, sufficient to cover the whole area to collect maximum dirt, detritus etc. Haha, actually... i have to admit that i have been lazy to fill that part up with more filter wool. :paiseh: That single piece was placed there on the day i mixed the salt, but now with the introduction of LR, i guess its time i do my job and put up more. :P

Anyway, i have also thot of the detritus build-up in the LR's in time to come, but i was hoping that the filter wool will do the job, and if not, that the "escaped detritus" can be removed naturally by the organisms in the LR, which i am sure bio-balls cant do.

Will still keep a lookout for signs of that happening.. but will stick with this arrangement for now. Thanks anyway! :D

• SRC Member
the way u kept the rocks in the sump, resembles those at Coral farm :lol: I too have Live rocks as the same wat as u , but its submerged in the sump water. It is dead rock when i put them in, now they have all turn purple and cured.

Why not allow ur rocks be at the most bottom area whereby micro organism could breed in the rocks and be transported back into the main tank by the rtn pump ? :unsure: The way u leave it would be another source of detritus collecting area unless u faithfully change the filter wool every abt 5 days ?Also depending how may fishes u have and whether heavy feeding by u and ur Gal B)

Do keep more pics coming, great to see phase by phase set up tank.. Wonderful girlfriend again :lol:

Hi fishtalk1517, point noted. :lol: However, as u can see, the most bottom area is actually quite small, and the amount of LR's i can store there will be quite insignificant.

Besides, i think there might be a big problem for micro-organisms to be transported back into the main tank, once u see a updated picture of my sump, which will be posted up tonight. B)

Meanwhile, there has been a new development in my tank set-up, something that i am so excited about. Cant wait to get home from work and show you guys more updated pics! :lol::lol:

Oh, and its my intention to post up a phase by phase set-up of my tank. That way, i can gather more opinions and we can also learn from each other! :)

• SRC Member
Hahaa Bro Underwater, if u have realised, the LR's in the sump are very small pieces which i purposely chose.

I'd probably need like a hundred pieces to scape my tank if i were to use them! :shock:

Anyway, i dun intend to leave the sump empty, firstly because of the splashing and dripping noises it will make, and secondly, i want to make use of that space for some natural filtration and de-nitrification. Thot it looks nice and cool too.. with the LR's in that compartment! :evil:

Oh ya hor...i ###### eye liao...those pics are deceiving...makes me think that those LR are big in size..... :paiseh:

ATI Bubble Master? Can't wait to see some kopi O :D

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Bro where did you buy your ATI BM? It looks somewhat different from my old ATI :o

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

For those who are still unfamiliar with the ATI BM250, here are its features:

Using modified EHEIM / ATI-pumps, it is possible to achieve the exceptional air intake of 2000l/h.

Small footprint and a low clearing height of the skimmer. This will allow the skimmer to fit into the sump without taking too much space

Silent operation of the skimmer attributed by the pump as well as the employment of air-filters.

Ease of maintenance, especially the collection cup which can be easily remove with just one hand

Competitive price when compared to other commercial skimmers with the same specifications.

Measure: 38 x 24cm / Clearing height: 55cm

Anyway, here's the completion of the second compartment (part 2) of my sump. Part 3 will be done soon so stay tuned! :yeah:

post-34-1185456280.jpg

Haha its also from AM bro, and its the older version run by the Eheim 1262, which is the same as yours. :rolleyes:

Ic... your cabinet and sump looks so black and white... nice :D

• SRC Member

Ic... your cabinet and sump looks so black and white... nice :D

Its ok only la dude, nothing compared to yours. :paiseh:

Your thread is an inspiration to us all, especially the product reviews and your generous sharing. :bow: Got alot to learn from you so do keep your comments coming! :lol::lol: