Mussels as biological filters

Fishyfish

Good to learn from own experience, as that will confirm what others have warned against.... ;)

Good thing your tank didn't crash....

Mussels grow best when the seawater is green with plankton... something a reef aquarium shouldn't look like! :D

• SRC Member

I'm still hanging hope for the last 5 piece of green mussels... :rolleyes: I have moved the remaining in a small basket hanging at the side of my main tank for close monitoring. It's been 3 days for now and still alive.... I think it may take a while even if the nitrate thingy going to work 'cos the nitrate level was really horrible at present moment due to half kg of lailai even after my usual water change....

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member
I'm still hanging hope for the last 5 piece of green mussels... :rolleyes: I have moved the remaining in a small basket hanging at the side of my main tank for close monitoring. It's been 3 days for now and still alive.... I think it may take a while even if the nitrate thingy going to work 'cos the nitrate level was really horrible at present moment due to half kg of lailai even after my usual water change....

so when are you start eating your pets lala?

• SRC Member

When my mussels were dying, I noticed that my fishes were having a good makan picking out the meat from the shells. Nitrate level spiked, but not that high considering a lot of decaying was going on. Around 20ppm using Tropic Marin test kit.

• SRC Member

Hi all;

One point of interest that I ponder is the worthiness of nitrate removal. Isn't Nitrate something that establish tank worries least of?

Isn't bacterial suppose to handle that? How abt the biological food chain? Mussel feed phyto/nutrients -> Mussel shits -> back to tank -> some one else eats it...

There is no export of waste again... In fact more waste.

Mussel/Lailai need high nutrients to do well... How abt massive spawning??? It happens when lailai/mussell are stress, they spawn massive like clam, cloud water, another possiblilty of crash? I did experience a clam spawn when I introduce 5 clams into my tank at one shot. It is not fun.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member
One point of interest that I ponder is the worthiness of nitrate removal. Isn't Nitrate something that establish tank worries least of?

I guess it's the level... when it tip over the scale....

Isn't bacterial suppose to handle that? How abt the biological food chain? Mussel feed phyto/nutrients -> Mussel shits -> back to tank -> some one else eats it...

There is no export of waste again... In fact more waste.

I don't know... but from the info I gathered at the moment seems to be helpful in reducing the dissolved organic though... Do mussels shit? Hm... never cross my mind... if they do then :unsure:

Thanks nakazoru. U bring up something that somehow did not cross my mind. For now, let's see how the remaining 5 do...

When my mussels were dying, I noticed that my fishes were having a good makan picking out the meat from the shells. Nitrate level spiked, but not that high considering a lot of decaying was going on. Around 20ppm using Tropic Marin test kit.

For my case, it was two weeks later that I checked on them and therefore there were decaying. The nitrate level spell 80ppm after my 20% water change.... half kg worth of lailai... none survived... in number, its about 20 over pieces. There was about 7 pieces of mussels when I first start with.

so when are you start eating your pets lala?

:lol: they died... left with mussels only. U like? come my hse I cook for you... with 1 class hotel charge lor.... :lol:

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

I guess it's the level... when it tip over the scale....

I don't know... but from the info I gathered at the moment seems to be helpful in reducing the dissolved organic though... Do mussels shit? Hm... never cross my mind... if they do then :unsure:

Thanks nakazoru. U bring up something that somehow did not cross my mind. For now, let's see how the remaining 5 do...

For my case, it was two weeks later that I checked on them and therefore there were decaying. The nitrate level spell 80ppm after my 20% water change.... half kg worth of lailai... none survived... in number, its about 20 over pieces. There was about 7 pieces of mussels when I first start with.

:lol: they died... left with mussels only. U like? come my hse I cook for you... with 1 class hotel charge lor.... :lol:

died, not fresh anymore, LOL. after eating will sleep in the toilet bowl.