Jervis' 6th Tank

jervismun

Have you tried keeping Seahorse before?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Have you tried keeping Seahorse before?

• Yes, a success!
    • Yes, but not a very good experience
    • No

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but do take note seahorse are very demanding

gotta feed them constantly cos they dun hv a stomach to store food :(

Yupe... gotto feed them in small portions constantly... be prepared :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Btw, what did you add to help finish off those uneaten mysis/food? Cleaner shrimps?

Well... the uneaten food will settle to the bottom (for the time being)... I am slowly introducing critters and cleaning crew to take care of that... and due to the low flow in my tank... diatom and algae are somewhat inevitable (at least for the initial phase).

Here's a WAKE UP CALL :(

post-34-1184932436.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Went LFS shopping today... bought a piece of Green Grape to help keep nutrients in check... immediately my male SH grows a fondness towards it :D

post-34-1184932661.jpg

Introduced 2 relatively large Glass Anemone Shrimps to help maintain the sandbed a little :P Gotto look for the largest specimens to avoid looking like SH bite-size :pinch:

post-34-1184934826.jpg

A Blue Neon Goby to help clear up any left over food on the sand bed :)

post-34-1184934881.jpg

Latest FTS... stirred the sand bed a little :)

post-34-1184945488.jpg

Get a sea cucumber for the sandbed. Saw some small ones at Iwarna, black ones.

Intereting... I might consider that actually since I do not have any wavemaker :):thanks:

Intereting... I might consider that actually since I do not have any wavemaker :):thanks:

From my experience, black sea cucumber may not stay on sands bed only. They like to move vertical too. My was once blocked my overflow and one was killed by pump.

You may like to try tiger tail cucumber that do not have such problems. They usually stay on sands bad only. I have 3 in my tank for 2 years. CF have very small ones around 3" only.

• SRC Member

His seahorse tank got no wavemaker. I also got a tigertail sea cucumber but the black sea cucumber ones I saw at iwarna are small, like the length of a thumb, better for his setup. Tigertail usually are bigger when they are for sale, longer than the length of a palm and could be an eyesore for his sea horse setup. Scared everytime he took a pic of his seahorse tank can see a part of the tigertail sea cucumber. B)

l always like the green grapes...too bad i don't have with them as they always gone into asexual reproduction. :(

And what a nice & cute little neon goby you have. ;)

Oh my! I hope mine will not turn asexual anytime soon... dun think the system can take the excess toxin :sick: Yeah will try to collect more cute little gobies in the coming months :)

I feel your tank is perfect to add a few nice micro size gobies. :D

Like Catalina Goby? :cry2::cry2::cry2:

• SRC Member

hi jervis! Wow.. hmm do those green grape and red grape algae help keep nutrients in check? Currently have a light for sump.. u think it can support 2 or 3 rocks of green grape algae? Hopefully can help bring down no3 and po4 :)

hi jervis! Wow.. hmm do those green grape and red grape algae help keep nutrients in check? Currently have a light for sump.. u think it can support 2 or 3 rocks of green grape algae? Hopefully can help bring down no3 and po4 :)

Yes almost all macroalgae (if not all) will consume PO4 and a smaller amount of NO3... try to buy a piece first... if it grows well... get more :) You can consider Chaetomorpha and the fast-growing Caulerpa (spiky leaves) :)

Don't cry Don't cry! I heard one Reefplayer guy has one extra pc. :P

Really? :paiseh::paiseh::paiseh:

Washing the skimmer collection cup for the first time... the neck is well covered with dark thick gunk :sick:

220702.jpg

But the amount and quality of skimmate is not up to expectation... no wonder I'm facing increased algae growth :( Will have to monitor both the skimmer and my feeding regiment :erm:

post-34-1185120709.jpg

l always like the green grapes...too bad i don't have with them as they always gone into asexual reproduction. :(

Was shocked today as the Green Grape turned pale and rotten :cry::cry::cry: I quickly removed it from the tank and did a 30% water change... due to urgency, I've no choice but to swap water with my main tank :nc:

Transferred a Blue Linckia over from my main tank to help take care of uneaten food on the sand bed... this Linckia has been with me for more than 1 year :)

post-34-1185120944.jpg

Went to Cutejojo's place to collect the 2 SH this morning... nice meeting you :D

A mysterious pix (moonlight) of the 2 SH... I suspect they are Tigertails :)

post-34-1185195550.jpg