seahorses newbie

jOwy

hi guys. im new to keeping seahorses. in fact, i only rem seeing them around when i was young. recently, i have been tryin to look for them but to no avail. then i saw this forum which got me realli elated.

1stly, where do i get seahorses?? i ask ard, heard that its been ban in spore.

2ndly, is the common tiger tail the hardiest of all? wana try wif sumtink hardy 1st b4 venturing into others.

3rdly, is sum1 kind enuff to give me a basic set up guide? and hw to care for them? i have been reading around but almost every website gives a different view on how to keep them. so i'm hoping to get sum real good help here.

thks so much for helping. =)

cheers,

Seahorses are not banned for sale.

The LFS here just need to ensure that CITES permits are in order when importing seahorses. They do occasionally come in, like Reborn, one of our sponsors. Give them a call.

The best seahorses are captive bred seahorses which are adapted to marine tanks and feed readily on frozen brine or mysis shrimps, unlike wild caught ones which need a lot of training or even refuse to eat except live foods.

Basically a species only tank for seahorses is best. Get one that is 3 times the height of the seahorse for comfort. structures for them to grasp, no boisterious tankmates, no micro bubbles in the tank. Good liverock with ample microlife eg. pods... no stinging hydroids present. This should get you off started well.

Cheers! :)

oh icic. hmm a few more questions.

i read that having macroalgae in the seahorse tank is good.so is macroalgae easy to keep? and is live rock a must? and is the common tiger tail the hardiest of all? whr do i get captive bred seahorses?

• SRC Member

marcoalgea is good however get those with branches. ur SH wil simply love it and hook up on it. grapes marcoalgea will come with rocks.. so there is no need to get anymore rocks if ur not intending to place any LR in.. Common tiger tail for me i think its more hardy and easy to keep.. less fussy eater also.. LCK110 do sell SH.. AM sometime will have too..

• SRC Member

tiger tail is the most fussy sea horse leh.. it's the most difficult to make it feed..

lck mostly come in kuda and reidi.. which most of the time is very ex.. reidi cost about $100+ for 1 and reidi will be cheaper, about $15-$25..

AM i hardly see any seahorses.. ya.. :)

Reefing is like a Relationship, Once you fall in Love with it, You will Love it for Life... :wub:

5a8bbdf6e2308_YUMA16.png.f2e17836611683574a142ad6fbd86466.png

icic....so which kind of seahorse is the most hardiest? and can i have the address of the place in LCK that sells it? wana go down to take a look soon.

last question for now..ani1 have ani set-up advices on the tank? maybe with pictures also?

thks sooooo much...

• 1 month later...

Jowy,

Saw many orange & yellow H. reidi seahorses @ LCK110 last week, very nice colored seahorses and all are feeding with tiny small live shrimps by the boss there.

Their custom-made seahorse display tank is fanatic :bow: , suggest you should go

down to take a look at their set-up and at the same time ask them for some

advices, the boss & staffs there are all very friendly.

H :lol: appy Seahorsing.

icic....so which kind of seahorse is the most hardiest? and can i have the address of the place in LCK that sells it? wana go down to take a look soon.

last question for now..ani1 have ani set-up advices on the tank? maybe with pictures also?

thks sooooo much...

Bro slowly feed them with "gragor" small prawn..

but beef them with selcon.(reef depot have them)

If you want can feed tham with baby brimp shrimp...you can buy the capsules in any dicsus shop...( soak them in water for 1 hr ...tadaaaa you got bbs)

Anyway a seahorse tank set up must not have to strong current...

Must plan your piping to ensure a no dead spot though...

and I use a good skimmer coz feeding prawn will normally pollute the water...thus having good skimmer helps..

can check my signature for my "was seahorse tank" :cry2:

gd Luck....and happy seahorsing...