Declare your foolish mistake here...

kareen

• SRC Member

Hi all,

I have commit a foolish mistake today thereby causing a healthy yellow tang death.... Here's my experience.... Take note.

After I have caught the yellow tang from my tank, I have used a rather small pail to contain it.... in order for the yellow tang to have more "room space", I have filled the pail up to about 80% level and to prevent it from jumping out, I used a cloth to cover the top. Then I also take the smallest pump to circulate the water.

The weather is fairly warm today, I guess and by the time I reach home, the tang is dead and the water in the pail is kind of warm..... I believe if I did not cover the top and have used a air pump instead, the yellow tang is probably still alive.....

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

Wasn't a newbie then but got cheated by an established LFS who didn't honour a warranty for a defective product. Regretted not making a big fuss over it and reporting it to small claims court. I only just threw away the pump this year after more than 6 years sitting in my room.

it's a personal foolish mistake though ...

got an air stone skimmer then weipro then prizm then biostar flotor then finally settle at deltec ....

it dun end there..

from FL to PL to T5 to 150 MH to 250 MH ....

it dun end there too ...

from ocean free to eden to tunze.....

alamak all my money =)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

Hm... looks like there aren't that many foolish mistakes afterall... I have another one which I feel is.... depending on how you view it.

Believing that coral reef maintainance require minimal or no water change with "advance equipments"... but the amount of money invested in those equipments actually could last years of quality salt mix purchase for water changing regime couple with simple equipment....

I got a mature tank with a BT, YT and Sailfin. For months, I thought everything was too perfect and thus boring, so I went to grab more fish. I go to one LFS and got a pair of pink skunk clowns. They looked healthy. I gave them fresh water dip before putting them in. The next day...

The 2 pink skunk clowns developed ich. I added some medication and thought it was no big deal. Then, the ich looked more like velvet, and soon, all my tangs got it. Within 2 weeks, all my fish died.

Well, I should have quarantined them in the first place but I got too confident. :(

(~ cci[RR]us ~)
A pair of Nemos :: Deep Sand Bed
Solite 2x24W T5 :: Prizm Skimmer with Overflow attachment

Talking about quarantining new fish, I quarantine my newly bought Moorish Idol but on the 4th day, it died.

Measured the Ammonia and Nitrite in the QT which is quite high compared to my water parameters in the main tank.

Should hv just dump it into the main tank and who knows it may survive.

Another silly mistake is putting my 2.5ft tank on a glass top table... after happily filling it with sand, lr and water, the next day the table broke into half... haha it scare my maid who thought there was an earthquake coz of the loud noise.

Spent the whole nite clearing away the water, sand and moving the broken table. ***sigh***

its not my marine tank but.. yeah..

i have 2 side by side FW aquariums, 1 for discus breeding, i move and put the heater in the breeding tank and forgot to move it sensor from the other tank (it was the main tank heater).. the next few hours, i found my discus pair is ready to served.. (medium well i think) :lol:

• SRC Member

Hey guys, please do take the responsibility to own up your mistake so that others can learn...

Another one.... which I still guilty committing at times.... compatability issues among the fish. Eg. have a purple tang, acting like the king in it then you decide to add Chevon tang, yellow tang, etc.... Guess what will happen?

• SRC Member

Mine was a very similar situation like bro cci[RR]us.

Have a mature tank of angels and tangs. Usually i buy fishes only from reefers or reputable LFS that sell stable, quaran. and feeding fishes.

Then went to a fish farm, saw new shipment of common clowns, itchy hands, bought two clowns, freshwater dip and add into main tank after acclimatization and next day..... :shock::shock:

Clowns developed ich, then more like velvet, remove clowns, but already spread like wildfire in main tank, in the end, only manage to save 1/2 of my angels,wrasses & tangs... :cry::cry: A very painful lesson learnt. Felt sorry for the fishes tt perished cos of my carelessness.