Sight of these fish

I am looking for the below fish to test the water in my tank before I stock up livestock. Anyone came across these 3 fish kindly let me know which LFS has stock.

Flame Hawkfish

Yellowtail Damselfish

Blue/Green Reef Chromis

Hope I can get one or two fish by this coming weekend to test the tank. :(

Guys,

We are here to teach and guide all who may be uninformed on the proper way to do things... Responsible Reefing is our slogan, right? So lets be humble ourselves and be nicer because he may not know better.

Since he asked, let's suggest nicely what should be done... no need for sarcasm.

Lionfish, our apologies... and please do continue to ask questions so you can learn!

:)

Tank started 2 weeks back to cycle.

Test done is PH so far is maintain at 8 to 8.5. Kh is about 10, Nitrite is nil and Ammonia is nil. Had been doing the test every 3 days for the past 2 weeks. All test results had been the same. The only thing is I need to get a Nitrate test kit.

Well only ask around if there is any sight of such hardy fish and consider to get them. I think I don't deserve to be suan like that right? Better I ask than I straight away go and buy and put in the tank. I think the purpose of looking into forum is ask and learn from here right?

Bro jyoon,

Yes it wil be my dream tank to have a big tank full of lionfish. But I am not so foolish as to go and get 25 lionfish straight away and dump into my tank? As I did declare I am a newbie here there isn't a need to make fun of my nick and to suggest to get 25 lionfish and test my tank water?

Yes I might sound like to spitfire here, but had u thought of how was it like when u were a newbie and ask around and looking for info how to get a tank kick off and stabalised and end up got suan???

I think pls be it an expert in this hobby or a newbie, I think each and all of us as a fellow forum user should be respected. :angry:

• SRC Member

hiz there Lionfish25!

welcome to this great but all about money hobby. dun get so frustrated here as reefers here, i believe, are more humorous. :lol:

your water parameter seem fine but i personally felt 2 weeks its too soon. maybe you might want to wait for another 2 weeks before adding your first fish. i'm cycling my new tank as well its more than 3 weeks old already and water parameter seem fine but still, i decided to wait for atleast 4 weeks old for the tank to settle down abit more before seeding my first fish.

you might want to add the first few fishes that are cheap cheap ones to prevent unexpected situations which i think that's already your intention. and dun get damsel, from what i learnt from reefers, including me, is they regretted getting one at the later stage unless you really love them.

and since you want to have lots of lionfish, please take into consideration of getting larger fish unless you want your smaller fishes to be a meal for ur lions in the future.

feel free to ask any questions as well but in the correct forum of course!

happy reefing!!! and welcome to SRC once again!

warmest regards,

LaW :peace:

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member
Before anything pls take note that most of the lion fish from LFS are picky feeders which means they only feed on live stuff. Not even frozen.

and yes! lions are picky eaters. most of them are only interested in food being alive so take note on that!

but some words of encouragement for you is i use to keep a spotfin lion that eats anything i throw in. be it frozenfood or pallets or cyclop.

best its to buy a lion thats already been "trained" before throwing it in your tank.

i got mine from Marinelife though. Ask the boss Henry for more info on how to tame them.

:peace:

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

HA HA HA, I thought that if you want to keep lionfish, why not just throw in some smaller damsels. Then when later you regret the damsels and have difficulty catching them, juts buy some lionfish and they will have fun catching the damsels for dinner ;):lol::lol:

Sorry lah, just a wild suggestion. Actually better wait for another few weeks, then starting putting in livestock slowly (if possible allow 2-3 weeks between each load so that the fishes will get used to one another and the bioload will not suddenly go into overload. :phone:

• SRC Member

Hi Lionfish

Thousands apologies. I am sorry.

BTW I am also half past six in Marine fish keeping.

Still in the process of planning to have a decent tank. I have given up marine fish for 4 years and now I am back as a newbie too. Technologies move so fast, I am lost ...:-(

Once my tank is setup, will try to post it here for advice. Currently having a 24" x 15" x 18" small tank.

Hi Lionfish

Thousands apologies. I am sorry.

BTW I am also half past six in Marine fish keeping.

Still in the process of planning to have a decent tank. I have given up marine fish for 4 years and now I am back as a newbie too. Technologies move so fast, I am lost ...:-(

Once my tank is setup, will try to post it here for advice. Currently having a 24" x 15" x 18" small tank.

Apology accept. Shake hand and friend firend again liao. Bro at least u had experience before wor...I don't think much will go wrong for your new set up.

• SRC Member

hey sis, be cool. maybe the way u phrase ur search makes pple thinking u r cruel to use fish to test water.

At first when first saw ur post also tot it's some reckless reefer who's using fish to test water stability. except i never join the flaming :)

All of us are in the learning process together. no hard feelings between good reefers here. just beware of scam reefers roaming in this forum who target specifically new reefers.

Project R.E.

Main Tank: 48" x 18" x 24" 12mm with external overflow piping

Sump Tank: 28" x 14.5" x 12" (3 compartments)

Lightings: T5 HO - Hopar 3* 39w + ATI 2* 54w

Skimmer: Skimz Bullet Beckett

Chiller: Resun CL-650 (28 - 29 °C)

Wavemakers: 2* Seio M620 + 1* Hydor K2 (7100 litre / hr)

Fluidized Reactor: Skimz FR (currently empty)

Pumps: 1x Rio 32HF (Skimmer), 1x Rio 20HF (Return & Chiller)

Filtration: more than 80kg LRs, chaeto

Water Circulation: ~ 4000 litre / hr

Future Plans: additional wavemaker, DIY algae scrubber, DIY overflow box

Previously:

Project R : 36" x 12" x 24" 10mm reef

hey sis, be cool. maybe the way u phrase ur search makes pple thinking u r cruel to use fish to test water.

At first when first saw ur post also tot it's some reckless reefer who's using fish to test water stability. except i never join the flaming :)

All of us are in the learning process together. no hard feelings between good reefers here. just beware of scam reefers roaming in this forum who target specifically new reefers.

Thanks bro. I read the 'show' in the old thread and know what happen. Thanks again for the warning. ;)

Well my headcount did not go down and will not go up for the next few months. I have to wait and see. Who knows maybe next week I will post here I will total give up on marine fish and go back to old freshwater.

I am yet to decide to give up or not. I don't to murder more fishes. Hee hee hee... :ph34r:

• SRC Member

Why got dilemma whether to give up?

If keeping FOWLR they are relatively low-maintenance. IMO, not much diff from arowana

Project R.E.

Previously:

• SRC Member

I guess the problem will be cycling process not completed yet, then some fish die then add more nitrate spikes and cycle process cannot stabilise.

Since u have already restarted everything, best would be to leave it cycling for longer time, since u had scrub the LRs as well and die-offs would bring about nitrate spikes.

maybe just test water parameters after 1 month and all shld be fine. Hardier fish to add first would be damsels, but they can be very aggressive and problem adding more fish. alternative would be ocellaris clown, cheap and hardy.

Project R.E.

Previously:

I guess the problem will be cycling process not completed yet, then some fish die then add more nitrate spikes and cycle process cannot stabilise.

Since u have already restarted everything, best would be to leave it cycling for longer time, since u had scrub the LRs as well and die-offs would bring about nitrate spikes.

maybe just test water parameters after 1 month and all shld be fine. Hardier fish to add first would be damsels, but they can be very aggressive and problem adding more fish. alternative would be ocellaris clown, cheap and hardy.

Err..the LR I just took out and rinse with water then put back in the tank and then start cycling process. I did not scrub anything leh.

Err.clown fish? Then got to have anemones right?I always have the thought clown fish die die must goes with anemones.