Reefers should go a step further into the hobby

After reefing for quite some time, I noticed that many reefers stay only in the vicinity of the hobby. What I mean is that this hobby is just about maintaining a nice looking tank and it stops just there.

The hobby gets a little boring after the initial setup since its all about maintenance now (well maybe some still enjoy constantly "replenishing" their tank). Then after some time, people just give up or lose their enthusiasm and turn towards the big toys like giant skimmers or that awfully sick looking 5 stage RO/DI you see sitting there in the store corner. Then the fun comes in again working all these monsters and comparing who can get the most advanced, most "efficient" or most *ahem* expensive items on their system.

We are almost always driven by what other reefers tell us and honestly, these information might not be true at all. How many of us had actually seen a reef or even a live marine habitat? I know I had and all the SRC divers had but these are just a minority compared to the other reefers out there. Probably the closest they get to knowing a marine habitat are pictures and NatGeo documentaries.

Have reefers actually spent time to read up on coral biology, to understand why a DSB develops black stuff after some time or merely even thought of how he/she can give back to nature?

The local scene is almost always driven by developments in foreign countries because the experts (as in those doctors and professors) there work with hobbyists and share their knowledge with them. Remember the time when acan lords were the fad or when the revolution of beckett and needlewheel skimmers? I feel that the reefing scene here is just merely tagging along with fads and not developing in itself. While other countries held events like IMAC, the closest we get to that is hosting Aquarama which even features that nonsensical marine tank competition. While RC has professionals such as biologists in their forums, we only have people who had been into the hobby for a long time sharing their experiences.

I strongly feel that reefers should head out and explore the boundaries of this hobby and yearn to learn more about our precious marine life rather than sitting around watching your skimmer churn out nasty gunk. Go for guided intertidal walks by Blue Water Volunteers and Raffles Museum and join volunteer programmes like TeamSeagrass or get books that feature Singapore's marine life like the newly launched "Singapore's Splendours" by Dr Chua Ee Kiam, our reknown nature photographer.

Think about it, you are the one who can make the hobby more exciting.

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

I agree with you bro, then again this hobby stems from 2 skool of thot:

1. people who are really interested in marine life

2. people who just want pretty tanks

i'm sure there are bro.s out there who are really interested to understand more. maybe can use this forum to grp everyone together and start something meaningful.

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

• SRC Member

Funny, they were jus discussin this over in RC... see here what happened to SPS forum?.

My two cents is... jus go where your interest takes you. Don't always follow others, don't feign for affection, don't forget your boundaries... there are lots more impt things in life that sea-life. If situation calls that its time to throw-in, then heaven's sake do so. The oceans and all its life does not owe it upon you for its survival. :lol:

Jus a thought, over here going a-step-further doesn't mean going with the latest & the greatest... to go forward, it helps alot if you go 'backwards' first.. :)

• SRC Member

hahaha.. :lol:

I am definitely more interested in marine life. Have spend a lot of time answering questions and providing help with ppl online.I don't even really utilise a skimmer for my tank. just a lousy skimmer. and utilising mostly on biological methods(the berlin way).

Not gonna waster my money on that skimmer, will DIY one soon. :D

Have been hanging around around wetwebmedia in the past. only came here after bob fenner mention abt it. I have find too many mistakes here in Sgreef.

The reason here for the scene to be like that.

partially is due to the LFS. lack of information and knowledge. most of them start up as freshwater shop so most dun really have much scientific knowledge for marine fish. and most just know more abt equipments. :blink:

ppl in singapore just wan the luxury of convenience. ppl are working and busy.

who will wanna spend the time to sit around and really read abt them ?

They just rather spend more money to made sure their beauty is secured.

u can't blame them. :lol:

u also need to consider the price of livestock there. the high price made it a highlight and a point for biologist and doctors to study it. It's not like u can buy a damsel for one dollar there.

who will bother why ur damsel died here ? with one dollar u can get another one easily.

That's the mentality here.

there with higher price and funds, research is possible. we are lacking of funding here.

But i guess the scene will change, as the price is rocketting already.

in the past, hahaha...things are more cheaper and more selection.

Guess when we step in the next generation with more marine fish lover, the price will raise and the government may impose CITIES and strict law to control the demand.

Just like our COE. :P Naughty government.

That's why when it's time like this, I am conducting a lot of experiments to improve the scene here and the way ppl reef here. :D

Singapore is always a pioneer in this and that. We can do it one. The next generation...

The scene will change but will take time. Wun happen like "Hey, today is diff. from yesterday."

. X-Nature . Something Xtravagant for everyone .

links:
our website: http://www.xnature.net.tc
sgreef forum: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=83

Providing premium delicacies for marine fishes and corals.

guys don't be dishearten, u don't see it happening does not mean is not there..

many sps keeper like myself does not participate actively in forums.

in sps keeping , setting a high standard is paramount. it's boils down to 2 things discipline & more reading. in 2003,my first reefing material was " anthony calfo",< book on coral prog.>. in fact every now & then , i pick it up & read between the lines. getting the concept right is especially important in times of adversity.

during the 2005 aqua-rama, i ever ask him what do you think is better. he openly says "change water ".

well , as for me that is my key to success.

Forget about expensive equipment, get what your bugdet can afford. paying more is not necessary a must. as most of the stuff that i use belong to the DIY class. Give our local talent a chance.

in 6 years i can come close to this, if i can do it , so can you. keep it up..

i went to bali & went snorkelling in coconut island ( can't remember) / the table acro. amaze me. i will challenge myself to get there.

here a picture , i like to share with u guys.

post-22-1174978947.jpg

• SRC Member

I guess some people just want to kick back and relax in front of the tank after a hard days work.... The majority of the reefers belong to that category... We simply are too tired or cant afford time to pursue into it deeper.... Perhaps thats a taught i will keep for my retirement years.... my 2 cents