Suncoral RTN

Tigger

• SRC Member

Hi, last two weeks my suncoral has not been doing well. Their polys has not been opening (even when I spray brineshrimp juice at it). Also observed that one colony of the polys have back stuff(maciam like aglae) on the polys. Last two days was worst, ot start spreading to surrounding polys too. When I use a satay slick to scrape of the "black aglae", I realise that its something like dead tissue. Anyone has similar experience.

PS: It was feeding well when it was at my two feet tank, Now it is my new 4 feet(three weeks old), its not doing well.

• SRC Member

Feed the suncoral well and it will have a good chance of recovery and tissue could be grown back.

I learnt from my sifu to put the coral into a small container of your tank water and add lot of mysis/brine shrimps into it. Stir constantly and make sure that every polyp eat (because they are independent of each other and they don't share nutrients).

My suncoral has new polyp grown when it is well-fed. When I am not feeding it for 2 weeks, I can see some rtn. When fed well again, it recovered.

post-7-1067879727.jpg

• SRC Member

Put them in a container full of mysis/brine shrimp with cyclops and stir up the water till the polyps open? Does it really work? Stiring of water will cause stress to the coral and casue it not to open even more. Can someone clarify this? I only heard of targeting feeding.

Sorry to hijack your thread, just one question: My suncoral (2weeks old) opens half way and closes again despite my affords of squirting cyclops and pellet juices on it. Is my method correct? Or am i supposed to squirt alittle, wait till it's alittle open, then squirt again?

• SRC Member

Hi FireClown

"Put them in a container full of mysis/brine shrimp with cyclops" - the food will cause the SC to open up and eat

"stir up the water" - to ensure that the shrimps are all over the SC so as to ensure that all polyps are fed.

"I only heard of targeting feeding." - quite difficult to target all polyps especially if the SC is in the shape of a ball, and diff to target feed the polyps with LOTS of shrimp.

"I only heard of targeting feeding." - target feed too much in the main tank may cause pollution. That is the reason I use a container and feed outside the tank.

"Sorry to hijack your thread, just one question: My suncoral (2weeks old) opens half way and closes again despite my affords of squirting cyclops and pellet juices on it. Is my method correct? Or am i supposed to squirt alittle, wait till it's alittle open, then squirt again?" - Try the method and you may be surprised by its response :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
"Put them in a container full of mysis/brine shrimp with cyclops" - the food will cause the SC to open up and eat

I try taking it out to a container filled with tank water, and also fill will lots of hatched brimp shrimp. AFter 1/2 hr it still refuse to open. Have I shock it?

Sometimes it open only 1/2 in my tank without me doing anything to it.

Tank 4x2x2.5

• SRC Member

This is what I do to feed my sun coral fortnightly:

1)one small container just slightly larger than the coral, so that the food is very close to the coral. If too big, may have problem to get the concentration of food to the coral

2)use cyclop-eeze and lots of brine/mysis shrimps.

3)heap lot of food over and on top of the SC

4)when it open, half or fully, stir the food and scoop ot over the coral to ensure all polyps feed

5)I leave my SC in the container and stir regularly for 2-4 hours. Be patient and generous with shrimps, it will feed, either with polyp fully opened or half opened.

Wow..removing it from the tank and putting it back...so troublesome....i tried that method before..the polyps were all too stressed to open. I think it would be best to target feed it in the tank. Less stress placed on it. Hint : Make sure their polyps are open before emptying the bulk of the syringe. No point emptying the syringe when they are not fully open yet. Use cyclops to coax them to open. Have a very good skimmer 24/7.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/