bottle "chiller"

[d]3v|L

• SRC Member

this invention by me is not so practical but useful when doing water changes. ok

1) fill a water bottle [any] to about half

2) put it into the freezer WITHOUT the cap.

3) when doing your water changes float if on the pail of freshwater [which ur gona add] with the cap close.

tts it! helps by bringing the temperature down a little. the bottle will tend to b not so cold when the ice round the circumference of the water had melted. any feedbacks?

ORDed

back to studies and reefing again..

• 3 weeks later...

hmmm... this 'invention' of yours seems to be rather... *ahem* not very unique... but it's ok... keep it up!

My comments: not very practical... get a chiller for constant cool temps... not a temporary plunging temperature drop like ice exposure would give.

• SRC Member

i've been using that method for marine water changes since i started.

devil , u must watch that u don't lower the temp too much to fast & give your tank thermal shock> 1 pail of 8 gallon needs approx 4ltr of ice to cool temp to 24-25c in 30mins. i use ice cream tubs. If u use this temp water, the overall tank temp will drop 3c immediately(takes not more than 10mins)for a tank size 3ft & 4ft. my temp is 28c(lowest is 27c)- so my temp diff of 1c-2c every water change did not affect anything. i pump back the water by a small powerhead in the pail(less sweat)- takes over 20mins so temp drop is gradual.

If u employ a fan, the tank should take abt 4hrs to bounce back to original temp,which id ok-considering your tank is outdoors. mine takes abt 7-8hrs min to go back up from 26c to 28c.(sometimes it stays at 27c througout the nite)

it works for emergencies& very hot days but the whole point is to lower temp slowly to prevent side effects.