nitrate and phosphate sponge

• SRC Member

just wonderin as im plannin a tank upgrade and start a new cycling tank. do i add the sponges when im cycling the tank or after the cycling is complete or better yet it doesnt matter? my old tank i didnt use any of the these products....

just wonderin as im plannin a tank upgrade and start a new cycling tank. do i add the sponges when im cycling the tank or after the cycling is complete or better yet it doesnt matter? my old tank i didnt use any of the these products....

Actually it doesn't matter much... but again it depends on how much detritus/rotten organisms your rocks releasing and it might not be a bad idea to remove them... as for sponges, I don't believe there is any sponge specifically designed for removing Nitrate... as for Phosphate, you definitely need a lot of absorbing power right now and PO4 removing granules are much more effective be it in stocking bags or running in FR. So yes, you can choose to run your Phosphate remover now :)

All the best!

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica