What do you guys feed herbivore fishes?

• SRC Member

bum: my sailfin tang doesn't touch any of the BS but grazes on caulerpa and red bamboo algae, so that's why worried cuz I don't know if thats enuff for it to be healthy, being a carnivore myself, just can't get used to not feeding any "meaty" stuff like BS... heh. It doesn't eat cyclopese either.

spidey: thanx will look out for the spirulina food.

• SRC Member

I am trying this snake oil stuff from Zoolife called Colorfin. It is supposed to give fishes the necessary color enhancers to help them retain their colors.

Here is a quote from Practical Fishkeeping.

"TMC are about to launch the Zoolife range. Judging from the colouration and health of the fishes we saw on a recent visit to one public aquarium which uses these products extensively, they certainly appear to be extremely effective. And we’ve also heard some excellent reports from professional aquarists.

Fishvits Color Marine from Zoolife contains essential (and natural) carotenoid pigments which act as antioxidants and promote vivid colouration. It’s designed to be added to frozen, dried, live or natural foods (including nori) to enhance natural levels of carotenoids, and is claimed reduce stress and tissue damage and can be used with all fishes and inverts. "

• SRC Member

wow thanx for all your replies! :P Greatly appreciated! Will go hunt for herbivore flakes soon!

pospeh: heh... you call it snake oil but you still buy? but sounds like the product comes highly reccomended tho, how much is it? personally I"ve always wondered if those colour enhancing fish food really do enhance colours or is it just that with good nutrition the fish would get good colouration anyway.

• SRC Member

I am a sucker for products that claim to do weird things, so I will try them unless there is a danger of them harming my tank. Food additives seem pretty safe.

What I like so far is that you mix it with your frozen food and water, and it becomes a gel-like lump that you can stick on rocks, like epoxy. So the fish can constantly nibble on it.

So far, the fishes seem to like it.

It is 50 bucks for 100 grams.

• SRC Member
I am a sucker for products that claim to do weird things, so I will try them unless there is a danger of them harming my tank. Food additives seem pretty safe.

What I like so far is that you mix it with your frozen food and water, and it becomes a gel-like lump that you can stick on rocks, like epoxy. So the fish can constantly nibble on it.

So far, the fishes seem to like it.

It is 50 bucks for 100 grams.

wow $50!!!! :blink:

but hahah I like the idea of putting a blob on your LR! maybe the crabs can be lured out of the LR this way too!