Light recommendation for 2 feet tank

cci[RR]us

Hi,

My current 55W PL light set is dying and I feel now is a good time to get a better set of lighting for my 2 feet tank.

I do not have light-demanding organisms but just a few pieces of orange yumas and assorted mushrooms. Hence I think 2x24W T5 would be a good choice. ;) What do you think?

I prefer to have a complete set with stands mountable on the typical 2 feet tank, so I guess DIY kits are out. Any recommendations (e.g. Solite, Atman)? :eyeblur: Where to get them?

:thanks: for the help!

(~ cci[RR]us ~)
A pair of Nemos :: Deep Sand Bed
Solite 2x24W T5 :: Prizm Skimmer with Overflow attachment

Although I have no idea where you can find some of the brands mentioned... but I will recommend getting a 4 tubes fixture... with 2 whites and 2 blues (separate control)... that will allow you to explore other corals when the time comes... instead of being restraint :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Actually I have no brands in mind. I just wanna know where I can get decent lights at reasonable prices. I merely suggested some brands that I remember seeing them somewhere.

I won't be getting light-demanding stuff especially exotic corals (because I feel corals belong to the ocean and not in our tanks; yumas, mushrooms are actually anemones and not corals).

Right now, I need recommendations of complete, commercially-available light sets that are on sale in our local shops. I want to go and grab a set before CNY.

Thanks again. ;)

(~ cci[RR]us ~)

Just an update: I got a Solite 2 feet T5 2x24W (1 blue, 1 white) for $129 from AM. It's not too bad as it comes with a very presentable black casing and very useful stands (you don't get that from DIY setups). Although the given tubes are Solite and they are not the best one can get, it is decent enough to light up my tank.

I must say, it's not a bad buy for a simple tank. :)

(~ cci[RR]us ~)

Thanks for the tips!

I'll upgrade slowly and when the need arises. Right now, I doubt a few pieces of orange yumas and hairy mushrooms warrant a change of T5 tubes! I'll let them wear out first then get the ATI ones. :eyebrow:

MH? Seriously, for a 2 feet by 1 feet by 1 feet tank? I don't wanna scorch my sand bed ok! :D

(~ cci[RR]us ~)

• SRC Member

can try Magnum or Hopar. 4 tubes fixtures. But not sure whether they have for 2 ft. the ones i saw are for 3 ft.

Project R.E.

Main Tank: 48" x 18" x 24" 12mm with external overflow piping

Sump Tank: 28" x 14.5" x 12" (3 compartments)

Lightings: T5 HO - Hopar 3* 39w + ATI 2* 54w

Skimmer: Skimz Bullet Beckett

Chiller: Resun CL-650 (28 - 29 °C)

Wavemakers: 2* Seio M620 + 1* Hydor K2 (7100 litre / hr)

Fluidized Reactor: Skimz FR (currently empty)

Pumps: 1x Rio 32HF (Skimmer), 1x Rio 20HF (Return & Chiller)

Filtration: more than 80kg LRs, chaeto

Water Circulation: ~ 4000 litre / hr

Future Plans: additional wavemaker, DIY algae scrubber, DIY overflow box

Previously:

Project R : 36" x 12" x 24" 10mm reef

• SRC Member
us,Feb 14 2007, 11:48 PM] Thanks for the tips!

I'll upgrade slowly and when the need arises. Right now, I doubt a few pieces of orange yumas and hairy mushrooms warrant a change of T5 tubes! I'll let them wear out first then get the ATI ones. :eyebrow:

MH? Seriously, for a 2 feet by 1 feet by 1 feet tank? I don't wanna scorch my sand bed ok! :D

hang the MH higher. you won't regret it. its not that expensive. DIY i got mine for just $50 150W 20KK pendant iwasaki SE bulb.

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

• SRC Member

hang the MH higher. you won't regret it. its not that expensive. DIY i got mine for just $50 150W 20KK pendant iwasaki SE bulb.

based on your signature, u are using 5v DC fan to cool down ur system, be prepared to get a chiller if you intend to go MH..

Happy CNY!

Thanks for your suggestion but I won't be getting any light upgrades as I am only interested in low light demanding stuff. Furthermore, my tank is very very shallow (1 feet high and I have a deep sand bed) so there is no need for deep-penetrating MH lighting. In other words, 48W is enough and MH is an overkill.

(~ cci[RR]us ~)

• 2 weeks later...