No need to cycle tank if using NSW??

• SRC Member

your filter's bio stage leh? unless u fill that bio stage with LR then 3-4 days put LS, ok lor. if not u need time for the bio filter to mature.

but as with all other reefers and dumdum says, patience.

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

your filter's bio stage leh? unless u fill that bio stage with LR then 3-4 days put LS, ok lor. if not u need time for the bio filter to mature.

but as with all other reefers and dumdum says, patience.

my filter i always put pur 2 carbon, biohome and rowaPhos.. so u think enough to put fish into tank with NSW after 3 4 days?

By cycling it doesn't mean to put new salt water or natural salt water in and run. The main purpose of cycling tank is for beneficial bacteria to grow on sponge, filter, live rocks, sand etc. If you did not produce ammonia for the whole cycle, your cycling is useless. You did not start the whole cycling at all. The best way is to use dead prawns from market.

Why someone success whthout cycling? Because their LRs from the old tank have enough beneficial bacteria to support the new bio load, meaning the fishes he added is just nice, when the BB needs NH3 and NO2, the fishes produce them, and just the right amount. But it is too risky, and not recommended.

Why you tank crash after cycling for few months? Because either you did not introduce ammonia at all, or you introduce too many fish at one go. 3 fishes per introduce is already a lot if tank size is small.

• SRC Member

What is the meaning of tank crash?

mr. surfer ok yes u have very good stuff in your filter. but you see, you need time for bacteria to grow in the biohome. biohome don't come with bacteria. mr. mansiz brought up a good point. did u introduce ammonia to cycle it?

I always like to make a distinction between biofilter and LR in the maintank. many will claim that mature LR in the main tank can serve as biofilter. but let me suggest that there is no way to control the flow of water in the tank. It cannot be guarenteed that an arbituary molecule in the tank will necessarily flow through the LR and thus be 'cleaned' so we cannot rely on it to cleanse the water. On the other hand this is not the case in a filter. Filters are designed such that ALL the water flowing through it will necessarily flow through some form of filter media at a 100% probability and thus all the water will be 'cleaned'.

We cannot rely entirely on LR in the display for bio filtration. those LR will support and boost biofiltration, but it must not be the main engine driving it.

If you examine the filtration designs of aquamedic's sets, or you look at LFS with long standing successful reef tanks, you will see that all these tanks follow this principle. Many of us keep our sumps empty, only for equipment, some load it with super expensive equipment somemore but at the end, things still go wrong.

mr. surfer if you did it right, cycling can complete within a couple of days. if not just be a lil patient. use ur test kits. cheers!

I totally agreed with the last line... use your test kits!!! That's the only way you can tell if the tank is ready or not... personally... 3 to 4 days cycle is possible... but you will have to spend a lot of money making that possible... if you are really can't wait that long... do PM me... I will share with you some ideas on how you can use money in exchange for shorter cycling time :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

I totally agreed with the last line... use your test kits!!! That's the only way you can tell if the tank is ready or not... personally... 3 to 4 days cycle is possible... but you will have to spend a lot of money making that possible... if you are really can't wait that long... do PM me... I will share with you some ideas on how you can use money in exchange for shorter cycling time :lol:

$$$$$$$$$$ for shorter cycling period......... stability?

hi guys,

thanks for the info. actually i have a 1ft fish tank with 2 true percular clownfish in it only and they have been with me for about 9mths already.

i believe they are happy in this 1 ft fish tank cos it nice to see them actively fighting for food whenever i feed them! =)

now problem is i find it damn difficult to contain algae growth and cos it is a 1ft tank, i find it difficult to clean the walls of the tank because my live rock are pretty close to the glass due to limited space...

therefore would like to upgrade it to a 2ft tank. tat why was wondering whether i can buy NSW and use my current live rock and migrate my fishes over.

now wat introduce algae n cyano growth? i no space for skimmer.... i suspect it the temperature of my tank which is around 29 degree...

• SRC Member

use rowa to reduce PO4. you will see significant drop in algae. for that amount you pay for rowa, i'd say its one product u can expect something from

No problem... as I've mentioned... if you guys are REALLY keen to know more... just PM me :lol:

Btw Dr Evil... how's your tank? Since your tank took 6 months to stabilize... I hope all your beautiful Angels and Tangs "can make it" since you introduced them during the 1st month :nc:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Sponsor
No problem... as I've mentioned... if you guys are REALLY keen to know more... just PM me :lol:

Btw Dr Evil... how's your tank? Since your tank took 6 months to stabilize... I hope all your beautiful Angels and Tangs "can make it" since you introduced them during the 1st month :nc:

Hi bro Jervis,

isst it good to share since this in an open forum and reefers here can benefit from your experience?

Why only share in PM or it is a trade secret :D cummonlah, everyone here is still learning even for someone who have reef long enough

As for my tank, it had gone through 2 major itch outbreak which had killed some of my establish fishes.

As of today, thank god my tank is more stable now after running more than 6mths...Pop overlah, since im staying woodlands too

From my experience, 2-3weeks can never achieve an establish tank no matter what u add into your tank....if u refering to the "N cycle", yes that is easily achieve.....

To have a full Reef in less than a mth time, its merely impossible.

i am also keen to know how to set up a marine tank in 3-4 days. :D Dr Evil, u reef so long already, nvr heard of speedy tank set up?

Why all trade secrets. . share ur experience with us.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

:whistle

jus wondering.... if your tank suffer a itch outbreak, then how to remedy it??

and how u know the itch virus is no longer in ur tank and u can start putting fishes in it??

if it me who encounter the itch outbreak in my tank, i think i might as well restart the whole tank to totally clear the virus... wat about u guys??

• Sponsor

and how u know the itch virus is no longer in ur tank and u can start putting fishes in it??

if it me who encounter the itch outbreak in my tank, i think i might as well restart the whole tank to totally clear the virus... wat about u guys??

parasite are always in your tank so even if you decided restart it, it will not mean that the parasite will go away.

If u are having a tank like mine @ 200 gal, to drain down ur water means u will need another 2 pails of salt to restart it....Not to mention, u need to cycle your tank again which will take some months<_< unless u know the trade secret :P

The only way to contain it is to feed ur fish well, quarantine all new fishes, run ozone etc.....

that will help to battle itch....there are no easy way out

my 2 cents

What is the meaning of tank crash?

mr. surfer ok yes u have very good stuff in your filter. but you see, you need time for bacteria to grow in the biohome. biohome don't come with bacteria. mr. mansiz brought up a good point. did u introduce ammonia to cycle it?

I always like to make a distinction between biofilter and LR in the maintank. many will claim that mature LR in the main tank can serve as biofilter. but let me suggest that there is no way to control the flow of water in the tank. It cannot be guarenteed that an arbituary molecule in the tank will necessarily flow through the LR and thus be 'cleaned' so we cannot rely on it to cleanse the water. On the other hand this is not the case in a filter. Filters are designed such that ALL the water flowing through it will necessarily flow through some form of filter media at a 100% probability and thus all the water will be 'cleaned'.

We cannot rely entirely on LR in the display for bio filtration. those LR will support and boost biofiltration, but it must not be the main engine driving it.

If you examine the filtration designs of aquamedic's sets, or you look at LFS with long standing successful reef tanks, you will see that all these tanks follow this principle. Many of us keep our sumps empty, only for equipment, some load it with super expensive equipment somemore but at the end, things still go wrong.

mr. surfer if you did it right, cycling can complete within a couple of days. if not just be a lil patient. use ur test kits. cheers!

are u sure i can't use my main display rock as my sole biofilter ? :D

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member
are u sure i can't use my main display rock as my sole biofilter ?

yes you can but its just a logically not so good design i feel. in a filter, ALL water flowing through it will be directed through the filter media. However in the case of using LR in the main tank. there is poorer water direction through the LR. you cannot ensure all water molecules will pass through an LR given a certain period of time. whereas in a filter, ALL water moledules in it will 100% CERTAINLY go thru the filter media given the same period of time.

• SRC Member
am also keen to know how to set up a marine tank in 3-4 days.  Dr Evil, u reef so long already, nvr heard of speedy tank set up?

Why all trade secrets. . share ur experience with us.

Bro Jervis has his reasons lar. you PM and he will explain to u and u will also understand his rationale. Bro Jervis lao jiao here already, he got his reasons one. haha!

• SRC Member

I just had one outbreak. in the process loss $30 to a reef safe tabasco sauce smelling medicine that didn't work and made the ich even worseand also lost a Kole Tang.

there's one LFS out there don't wanna mention name. boss is super obnoxious and many don't like him. but he gave me one advise. he said why i so stupid buy medication. and he said disesase is always in the tank no matter what you do. so the solution is simple, feed garlic to the fish to boost their immune system. i heeded his advise, manage to nurse all my other fishies back to health within a matter of days.