debenise's 3ft reefy world

debenise

• SRC Member
Is your skimmate always very watery? Light in colour? And lots of it?

it is somehow thick not watery. and colour is v brown. i empty my cup once weekly normally by then 3/4

at times i will leave it till the 10th day latest then empty it. dowan to leave it too long though may not fill up to the brim cuz preventting the cup to turn yellowish haha

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

how to make skimmer more thick? i think alot depends on skimmer also leh. if your skimmer dosen't have that much power to begin with, your skimmate can't be all that fantastic. like i'm using a prizm, it will only skim as well as a prizm will. can never beat other more highend products like deltec

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

• SRC Member
how to make skimmer more thick? i think alot depends on skimmer also leh. if your skimmer dosen't have that much power to begin with, your skimmate can't be all that fantastic. like i'm using a prizm, it will only skim as well as a prizm will. can never beat other more highend products like deltec

i think by reducing the water level in the column. the lower the level the thicker the skim mate. bro i dont think using a good skimmer is a good thing also leh, some of the good stuff will get skimmed out as well, pros and cons i guess :lol:

• SRC Member

this is logical ;)

Now it makes sense... you've been using diluted sea water to top-up and change water for the past 2 years... if you can maintain a tank for 2 years within the range of 1.023 to 1.025... perhaps your method works (although a bit uncommon). But on the other hand, by diluting the natural sea water... you will wipe out some if not all the beneficial bacterias that come with the sea water... hence sounds like defeating the purpose... unless of course you choose natural sea water out of convenience sake :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
Now it makes sense... you've been using diluted sea water to top-up and change water for the past 2 years... if you can maintain a tank for 2 years within the range of 1.023 to 1.025... perhaps your method works (although a bit uncommon). But on the other hand, by diluting the natural sea water... you will wipe out some if not all the beneficial bacterias that come with the sea water... hence sounds like defeating the purpose... unless of course you choose natural sea water out of convenience sake :)

yah im aware of wiping out some of the nutrients by mixing haha but cuz 1stly

marine salt is expensive :cry: and i dont use chiller but fan and thus the evaporation which eventually led me to do frequent topups and change of water. but take note though i change frequently every 2days, the quantity is very little. as i imagine in an ocean the changes are non-stop same theory can applies to a small tank. by dosing supplements hoping can restore some lost nutrients lor.

2ndly, always buy seawater very heavy :lol: me old liao cant carry 2 big pkts anymore. so normally just get a pkt=1 pail. this led to almost a weekly regime.

all in all, this method though abit troublesome but save abit $ lar hehe

and since i always cheong LFS to checkout new potential residents , might as well get seawater. :upsidedown:

• SRC Member

hi bigben

yupz before i was on the 3ft then was 2ft and have been using similar.

very stingy of me :lol: but no matter what its best to get good lighting as per advised by fellow reefers here. thus i be getting myself 4tubes of T5 lighting set also. if got more commission then can get 8tubes :D

Ok lah... I don't mean to nag over this particular practice... but dun you think topping up with freshwater... then change with natural sea water (pure with no freshwater added) will probably end up the same in terms of the volume of sea water you will eventually purchase (and carry from CF)? With the benefit of not killing the beneficial bacterias and nutrients :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
Ok lah... I don't mean to nag over this particular practice... but dun you think topping up with freshwater... then change with natural sea water (pure with no freshwater added) will probably end up the same in terms of the volume of sea water you will eventually purchase (and carry from CF)? With the benefit of not killing the beneficial bacterias and nutrients :)

yes sir! i get what u meant ;) will do as per your advise

as long as its benecial then why not hehe moreover i join src to get advises for a better environment and information about this hobby.

thanks alot bro :D

It's very interesting to see 2 pairs of Anthias in separate pix... I wonder if they will do well in my tank since I've already gotten enough headache with my Lyretails... 2 morphed male specimens :cry2:

• SRC Member
i really would like to know the underwater world's tank specs.

the lights.. the reactors. the SKIMMER!.

i think bro jerv sure loose.

aiyoh dun lidat compare lar totally 2 diff worlds

bro jervis is able to create a very fantastic tank and maintaining it super well

with gd equipments and efforts not to mentioned those tedious research!