KEEP CHAETO IN MAIN TANK

MAG

• SRC Member

GOOD DAY.

NEED OPINION FROM FELLOW MEMBERS ON KEEPING MACROALGAE.

IZIT POSSIBLE TO KEEP A BETA BOX FLOATING IN MAIN TANK WITH MACROALGAE EG CHAETO OR RED BAMBOO IN IT?

REASON IN BETA BOX= PREVENT FISH EATING THEM.

REASON FLOATING IN MAIN TANK=LIGHTS

REASON WHY NOT IN SUMP=NO LIGHT AND IF INSTALL LIGHT MITE CAUSE TEMP 2 RISE.

CAN THIS METHOD BE A KIND OF FLOATING REFUGIUM?I DONT EXPEXT THE CHAETO TO GROW BUT WILL IT AT LEAST HELP TO ABSORD NO3/TOXIC.

I HV 1YR OLD 4FTS FOWLR WITH OVERFLOW BOX. SKIMMER=NEEDLE WHE

EL.13V=UV.RESUN OZONISER.T5 LIGHTS=4TUBES

3FTS SUMP=ONLY COTTON WOOL + CARBON + SKIMMER

CAN ALSO SMS ME @ 98453428 2SHARE SOME OPINION ON THIS.

• SRC Member

MY TANK IS WITH FULL HEIGHT CABINET. TEMP SMTM CAN GO UP TO 32'C. THATS THE REASON WHY I DONT WANT TO PUT ANY EXTRA LIGHT INSIDE SUMP.

DOES CHEATO REALLY HELP TO ABSORD NO3 AND TOXIC?

mag bro , can u switch off the capital letters when you type ?

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

• SRC Member

Possible. I also keep chaeto in my main tank. Not I wish to but got no choice. Got no sump tank :paiseh:

Just that, I dun use betta box, blocking my view as my tank is only 2ft. guess got no a big problem for your 4ft. You got more space to hide the b.box. :peace:

• SRC Member

Mr santa claus

yes u can do that, however u can stick at the the side of the tank instead of floating it around.. After initial acclimation to your tank conditions, it will grow and absorb nitrates. However dun expect it to be miracle plant.

Using caps means you are furious and kind of talking loudly or speaking in a rude manner. :lol: Try not to use it unless you are very angry or keyboard spoilt. :lol:

Yes bro, you can place your chaeto in the floating plastic stuff, butare you using MH? If they are not acclimatise to high level of lighting, they may bleach.

• SRC Member

Dear all. thx alot for the quick respond. Sorry about the caps. Kind of use to using that.

Ok ill try floating the beta box in my main tank with chaeto in it. My lights usually auto on aro 6pm and auto off aro 0030=6hrs++ of lights.

Am i right to say that most of the time the plant will come attach on rocks? If thats the case i dont need any sand for it to survive rite? Excuse me if my question sound abit weird cos im still acually quite new in this hobby despite 1yr already. Trying to make my h20 condition better. Maybe with the green plants in the tank can help to soften up the outlook of fowlr tank and at the same time can help to absord no3 + toxic.

Ill be away for few days and can only reply back when im back in sin. Thx alot again for sharing your experiences.

• SRC Member

Y not place your cheato in your sump, and on the sump light only when your

main light is off. 18 hrs of light for the cheato..Im sure temp wont increase

so much, if that is your concern.. ;)

and if u want to soften the outlook of your FOWLR, u can add in some grapes

in your main tank. They will grow on the rock. Check out bob's tank.

• SRC Member

Dear all. Thx for your respond.

Well the reason why i didnt want to keep chaeto in sump bcos i got to provide light in there. This will definately increase my tank temp. Reason is my tank + sump are inside cabinet(divider concept)

When im at work ill close all windows at home and that will also contribute to high temperature in tank. Worse during the hot season tank temp can shot up to 32'C.

Dont want to use fan2lower temp bcos i heard it will cause salt to crystalise around cabinet + floor.

Chiller is definately out bcos hse too small and there isnt any space for the chiller + noise + hot air from chiller might cause more damage than good.

So i guess the best way is float beta box in main tank. Actually this idea just pop by my mind. Its not a must do thing for my tank. thats why i posted in src for opinion.

Thx alot for your time and sharing of opinion.

Q: does chaeto really help to absord no3? will there be a major different in reading of no3 after putting chaeto? does high temp eg 30-31'c ok for chaeto?