Nutrient Export

newdamsel

• SRC Member

Hi all, I saw this maiden hair (Chlorodesmis sp.), issit alright as a nutrient exporter?

This is what LiveAquaria says "Chlorodesmis is a green filamentous algae whose appearance is similar to thin blades of grass or tufts of hair. Its common names include Maiden's Hair Plant and Turtle Grass. It contains a toxic substance which deters herbivorous fish from eating it"

Would that whatever toxic thing harm corals??? Any of you have experience with this plant? Wonder if its alright if corals do touch these plants... will they sting one another like in cases of 2 corals put together?

Already got a bunch of red grape algae in the sump, is there other better kind of caulerpa which can i get?

Thanx guys

• SRC Member

They're classfied as pest algea on http://www.wetwebmedia.com/greenalg.htm

for growing too fast.

Sounds good for nutrient export.

Heard they need to be given strong/medium current or else they'll turn white.

Will prob try it soon.

Any idea whats the name of that ferry looking algae commonly sold in LFS?

The one that looks like Bryopsis

• SRC Member
turtle weed is too fragile to be kept for nutrient export

I have a small tank delicated to them, fish wont eat them as its said to be bitter in taste but they wont sting corals

Barracuda,

too fragile as in the thin threads will break off easily or they'll die easily? Actually it looks quite nice to me leh.. provided they are long and grow in a whole bunch and not strands sticking out here and there.. haha :lol:

CKS

I think i know which one you referring too.. but i also cant find a suitable match online for it leh...its dull green and usu in the lfs, there's alot of dirt sticking on it right? But it doesnt look furry,... more of like ferns...

The best algae that has been getting rave reviews is Chaetomorpha.

I used to think they were hair algae and threw them away a long time ago! :D

Chaetomorpha apparently doesn't bleach at all... and are good nutrient uptakers. I hear they require good light or they won't grow much.

post-7-1039364157.jpg

• SRC Member
The best algae that has been getting rave reviews is Chaetomorpha.

I used to think they were hair algae and threw them away a long time ago! :D

Chaetomorpha apparently doesn't bleach at all... and are good nutrient uptakers. I hear they require good light or they won't grow much.

AT,

you sure they are suitable for tanks? I just removed a huge bunch from a buoy few weeks ago