Mild Steel/ Stainless Steel Stand

SpiderOne

• SRC Member

is it ok to get mild steel and epoxy paint it? or do i have to use stainless steel? need a 4x2 stand. abt 3 ft high any rough idea how much it will cost ? and where i can get it from? . something like this. will place marine ply on the top and bottom supports for the tank and sump.

post-9-1067634612.jpg

I am using iron square bars, rust-proofed, epoxy-coated for my stand. No probs.

Go to any metal workshop and get quotes from them.

Mine was priceless... as in.. my father-in-law got his shipyard workers to do it for me. :D

• SRC Member

darn . every1 i know has relatives who are shipyard workers to do for them. how do i tell the guy what i want. what are square bars? will he make it straight as in really straight not even a light tilt so my tank wont tilt? i am monolingual.

My FIL runs a shipyard... he's not a worker...hahaha!!

Round bars are round, square bars are square. If there are octogonal bars, I am sure they will be octogonal. :D

• SRC Member
My FIL runs a shipyard... he's not a worker...hahaha!!

Round bars are round, square bars are square. If there are octogonal bars, I am sure they will be octogonal. :D

whahahaha!!!

Tank: 5 X 2 X 2.5

Sump : 3 X 1.5 X 1.8

Tunze 6060

Tunze TF08

Oceanrunner 6500

Deltec AP 902 Protein Skimmer

I-Aquatic Calcium Reactor

Arctica Chiller

• SRC Member

u sounding more and more like me everyday . i am proud to impart upon u my wonderful personality.

look at the pic i drew is that square bars?? where can i get something like that done? is it a good idea? can they make it super straight? no tilt whatsoever?

• SRC Member
Prefer metal frame stand. dunno why. wood is just weak to me.

Spiderone, you can just walk into any metal workshop in those industrial park.

Or to make thing simple, go to your regular LFS and ask them to make for you.

PM me if you need specific workshop, I can provide you with one that I've used before, for other purpose...... :D

(For one, you got a reply that dun sound like yourselves, right.... :P:P:P

• SRC Member
I am using iron square bars, rust-proofed, epoxy-coated for my stand. No probs.

Go to any metal workshop and get quotes from them.

Mine was priceless... as in.. my father-in-law got his shipyard workers to do it for me. :D

wahahahahaha same!!! my dad did it for me using 2" square tubes epoxy coat and marine coat :D:lol::D:lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

hey pal!!

maybe i can answer some of ur questions for u.?? the square mild steel pipes are call hollow-sections. usually 25x25x3 mm ones will be strong enough and i'm pretty sure that the welder can make it real straight.

but for the price is up to them to chop u ... haha good luck!!

how did i noe ... ?? i was in this line metal workshop

• SRC Member

spidey: I tot you gave up marine liao for a new car? you selling the spare tire to start up this tank? anyway, you don't worry lah, they sure can weld perfectly straight structure for you lah, they are damn pro at their job, give them benefit of the doubt, worse comes to worse can always use bubble level to check yourself. but you must really be careful about the rustproofing, cuz if the job isn't well done, all you need is a slight lobang for the metal to be in contact with outside air for your ENTIRE structure to rust.