Pure Biological Filtration

yazid

• SRC Member

I have read many articles on the internet from experienced reef keepers on how they could keep an excellent reef tank without mechanical devices such as skimmers, Ionizers, denitrators etc. I'm really amazed by it.

They basically employ natural biological filtration using DSB/Plenum, refugium, live rocks etc.

I have been observing my upgraded tank which employ DSB, refugium and live rocks for the past 1 year. My tank have been around for 2 years+.

After more than nine months, my previous AquaMedic Turboflotor does not seem to give me a good skimmate anymore, thinking that it might be underrated. Got myself AquaC EV-240 and it still doesn't seem to get that continous quality skimmate even after months of patience tweaking. Imagine only to have to clean the skimmate cup every 1 month. Even than, it is only 5% fill.

My recent readings shows a good water parameters, Ammonia, Nitrite, pH, KH, Ca and Zero Nitrates. Although I'm still trying to get zero Phosphates.

Is it really possible that one day, confidently I could turn my Skimmer off.

These are some of the question that may influence that decision.

a. Will the DSB capability diminish after a number of years?

b. Macro Algae goes asexual? A skimmer will definitely be helpful.

Maybe, the skimmer need not run 24/7. Maybe it could run 7 days and off another 7 days. Saves electricity.

Have anybody come to a stage where you don't need skimmer anymore?

• SRC Member

Erm.. I haven't reached that stage but my nitrate is 10-20 without a skimmer. I'm using a 5" DSB and algae as nutrient export. But i don't think my DSB is matured enough yet. Its about 2-3 months only...

I'm getting a skimmer though. Hope that it would further lower nitrate levels in my water. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I seriously doubt about your mangrove tree impacting your nitrates at all.

Reefers are abandoning using mangroves because:

1. They are very slow growers.

2. They need a lot of strong lighting eg. metal halides to grow.

3. They take up a lot of space.

4. Their uptake is very slow and you need a LOT of mangrove plants to see any impact.

5. They grow best in very shallow sumps and in muddy substrates.

6. They contribute a lot to yellowing compounds in water.

:)

I have read many articles on the internet from experienced reef keepers on how they could keep an excellent reef tank without mechanical devices such as skimmers, Ionizers, denitrators etc. I'm really amazed by it.

They basically employ natural biological filtration using DSB/Plenum, refugium, live rocks etc.

I have been observing my upgraded tank which employ DSB, refugium and live rocks for the past 1 year. My tank have been around for 2 years+.

After more than nine months, my previous AquaMedic Turboflotor does not seem to give me a good skimmate anymore, thinking that it might be underrated. Got myself AquaC EV-240 and it still doesn't seem to get that continous quality skimmate even after months of patience tweaking. Imagine only to have to clean the skimmate cup every 1 month. Even than, it is only 5% fill.

My recent readings shows a good water parameters, Ammonia, Nitrite, pH, KH, Ca and Zero Nitrates. Although I'm still trying to get zero Phosphates.

Is it really possible that one day, confidently I could turn my Skimmer off.

These are some of the question that may influence that decision.

a. Will the DSB capability diminish after a number of years?

b. Macro Algae goes asexual? A skimmer will definitely be helpful.

Maybe, the skimmer need not run 24/7. Maybe it could run 7 days and off another 7 days. Saves electricity.

Have anybody come to a stage where you don't need skimmer anymore?

Yazid,

Interesting subject!

I believe that once a tank's biological filtration system is matured and adapted to the tank's bioload and not significantly strained, that the reliance on skimmers will diminish. However, I would not dare pull out the skimmer from the system because it is a very good insurance in case anything happens. If not, I'll leave it in there for the high oxygenation it gives to the tank! ;)

The debate still rages on the long term viability of DSBs in becoming nutrient sinks and causing significant problems later on. However, there are so many sides to the equation that are so uncertain... it's a headache trying to figure out what to do.

As it is, the benefits of a properly setup DSB cannot be ignored.

I'll keep my DSB. :)

Turning on/off your skimmer every week could be an interesting experiment... but unless you are using a skimmer like mine, the electrical savings is insignificant.

AT