The Deep Blue Sea in my HDB! (2'x1'x1.5')

johntanjm

• SRC Member

i remember a few weeks back i sian sian go school library read mag, saw a pic of a shipwreck. one side of the ships railings completely encrusted with orange suns. :shock: wanted to tear out that page and bring home man.. haha

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
i've already built sort of like tower using LRs on one side of my tank. so far only glued 3 orange suns to it. best will be a mixture of sunnies.

interesting stuff andy! hey show picture leh!

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

• SRC Member
very nice and clear picture u have there and the sunnies is the center attraction ya . well done on the sunnies since some reefer even have problem to make them bloom :) very good buy indeed .

does the sunnies take up a lot of ur tank space ?

the pictures is thanks to my semi pro photographer aunt.

do you think it takes up alot of tank space? actually i did think of that that's why initially i felt like selling it. then now... the more i keep, the more i like ah.

• SRC Member
i remember a few weeks back i sian sian go school library read mag, saw a pic of a shipwreck. one side of the ships railings completely encrusted with orange suns. :shock: wanted to tear out that page and bring home man.. haha

the last time i went diving off kusu, i saw one branch, fan shape black suns! super super big! I wanna pluck it up and bring home!

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Added a cup coral. somehow it doesn't seem to be responding well. maybe still not used to tank condition. shop keeper also gave me a half broken plate coral and that one is doing fine and fully extended so i wonder what's wrong with the cup.

oh yes anyone can help me ID that black fish? i call it the black tang wannabe. its in the tang family.

post-34-1173372080.jpg

• SRC Member
take a bettter pic of the tang,but i believe its a bristletooth family.

how much u pay for it ? might be a very dark scopas ? btw ... wad equipment u using ?? ur coraline growth is great ...

ok here's a picture of that tang. i believe it to be from the bristletooth family too! paid around $12? forgot already. but it was from one of those expensive shops so might actually be cheaper.

description: black/grey with white tail. lips seem to be like that of a bristletooth but maybe still young so not well defined. has a electric blue lining on its bottom fin.

post-34-1173414506.jpg

• SRC Member

coraline growth is triggered by high MG levels and of course a very healthy sample of coraline that i used to seed the tank.

equipment as with the earlier post in the beginning, nothing changed.

1. eheim 2227 wet/dry canister

2. eheim 2224 canister

3. inside i use eheim substrat pro, biohome, rowaphos, chemipure

4. 150W 20KK MH

5. prizm skimmer

6. Teco RA200 chiller

Very large Black Sun... keep it up! Try to entice the Cup Coral just the way you do for your Suns :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

sorry for delayed replies to post. been very busy and a little bit of matters of the heart lar. headache.

bluezing: can can no prob. over a cuppa coffee ur treat!

cjh: eh not just i have nice sunnies. look at bluezing's avatar above!

jervis: heck yeah! thats what i did and i guess the cup has slowly acclimatized. its opened up! thanks for the tip!

jacobus: its some tang, hahahaha so it must be a pretty uncommon tang eh since nobody seen it.

newmarine: well u need healthy coraline to begin with. afther that, u trigger their growth with high MG! thats all. very simple. if it doesn't work, then somewhere along the tank something is wrong.

cheers guys! a rose brain just arrived to stay for 2 weeks today!

If the Tang is a full white tail, den it is a Thompsoni Tang, else if the tail is grey with a band separating the body and the tail, den it is a Ringtail Tang... Either case, they are BIG tang and normally dun tolerate other Acanthurus species...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

bluezing: wahahahhaha! cheater bug! i thot its yours lar, bloom until so nice. u look me up lar.

lorensia: hahahha, not so uncommon tang after all. my bad

terryz, its got a distinct strong white band at the part where the tail joins with the body, but the rest of the tail is also white leh, just that its translucent.

• SRC Member
bluezing: wahahahhaha! cheater bug! i thot its yours lar, bloom until so nice. u look me up lar.

terryz, its got a distinct strong white band at the part where the tail joins with the body, but the rest of the tail is also white leh, just that its translucent.

terryz used to keep a similar tang as urs if i'm not wrong.. :lol::lol:

Reefing is like a Relationship, Once you fall in Love with it, You will Love it for Life... :wub:

5a8bbdf6e2308_YUMA16.png.f2e17836611683574a142ad6fbd86466.png

• SRC Member

Guys, I need some advise here. Seems like nothing on the internet is consistent so i'd appreciate practical experience and advise from you helpful reefers :)

It's been quite some time that i've been thinking of increasing my fish. These are my choices and issues:

1. 6 line wrasse, seems to be an interesting fella but i'm afraid it might attach my tangs and dr. shrimp. will getting a smaller size help? I want it to clear off some copepods and hunt some stray living stuff in the tank.

2. purple dartfish and firefish. will the 6 line wrasse upset them? i'm thining of maybe a pair of each.

3. mandarin Goby

4. butterflies. do butterflies nip corals?

Don't worry i'm not going to buy all. just keeping my options open.

Also i would want to buy a maze coral. anyone seen a maze?

• SRC Member

the option 3.mandarin goby ? or u mean mandarin dragonett?

if u r keeping mandarin dragonett.. u tank need to be mature n lots of pods in ur tank will keep it healthy n happy ;)

and yes, most buttlefly will nip at corals

Den it is Ringtail Tang... Once my favorite tang but soon became my most hated, cos very aggressive to any fish even bigger than it...

Member of:

Guys, I need some advise here. Seems like nothing on the internet is consistent so i'd appreciate practical experience and advise from you helpful reefers :)

It's been quite some time that i've been thinking of increasing my fish. These are my choices and issues:

1. 6 line wrasse, seems to be an interesting fella but i'm afraid it might attach my tangs and dr. shrimp. will getting a smaller size help? I want it to clear off some copepods and hunt some stray living stuff in the tank.

2. purple dartfish and firefish. will the 6 line wrasse upset them? i'm thining of maybe a pair of each.

3. mandarin Goby

4. butterflies. do butterflies nip corals?

Don't worry i'm not going to buy all. just keeping my options open.

Also i would want to buy a maze coral. anyone seen a maze?

1) Never add a Six line wrasse in a small tank... It will prevent you from adding any more fishes,wrasse... A aggressive fellow...

2)The 6 line will harrass them if the purple fire goby and the fire goby is added after the 6 line...

3)Mandarin is not really advisable for small tank but if you have a lot of pod population and matured tank, can go for it...

4)Butterflies do nip at corals,although there are few proclaim reef-safe one... But still not 100%...

Member of: