The Deep Blue Sea in my HDB! (2'x1'x1.5')

johntanjm

A very good coverage on Suns... not as HOT as a couple of months back though :unsure:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
A very good coverage on Suns... not as HOT as a couple of months back though :unsure:

you're right jervis. I also feel that way. somehow the last time i took pictures of them, it so happened that everyone opened up at the same time. now its like take turns to open up.

there are some that never open up, but yet others have started to produce new polyps. I've also seen patches of orange that might likely become future sunnys on seperate LR so i don't know what's happening. are they dying or are they doing fine.

how ah? anybody got opinion?

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

• SRC Member
that is a very nice Sun corals

how much u buy ?easy to take care ?

after having these sunnies, i would say that i've never seen any more cheerful corals than them. but its hecka ALOT ALOT of work. feed each polyp individually leh. target feed and then must make sure the fish don't come and peck their food.

phyto and snow alone is not enough for food if i'm not wrong. need to occasionally feed these meaty chunks

got them from a bro on src.

• SRC Member
try to increase the flow towards ur sunnine.. during feeding time they will open up nice nice.. as for the dead part might be during the time u got it the tissue is already semi dead.. as long as got new polys come out its a small issue liao le..

hey thanks bro for that assurance. just that quite heart pain to see it wither under your care lar. old damaged tissue or not. thanks

Yes as Xersion mentioned... higher flow will help :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

That one I can confirm. I used to place them at a position when my tunze reflects off the glass. they will open once in a while.

Now I move them to directly infront of my tunze. (Slightly less than 1 ft away) and they open up very nicely very time I dose live phyto that I bought from AM and also Henry's food.

• SRC Member

Agreed tt sunnies are some of the nicest corals.

l used to have one but everytime i target feed, my clown and wrasse will snatch the food away until i gave up keeping sunnies... :angry:

l wonder how other reefers manage to target feed their sunnies, esp those who have many colonies and if each head is to be fed individually...sounds quite siong... :blink:

l used to have one but everytime i target feed, my clown and wrasse will snatch the food away until i gave up keeping sunnies... :angry:

l wonder how other reefers manage to target feed their sunnies, esp those who have many colonies and if each head is to be fed individually...sounds quite siong... :blink:

i believe some reefers flood their tank with food... perhaps u wanna try fully feed ur fishes first... then target feed the sunnies :)

• SRC Member

i believe some reefers flood their tank with food... perhaps u wanna try fully feed ur fishes first... then target feed the sunnies :)

I feed cyclopeeze first and wait for abt 10-15 minutes to wait for the tentacles to come out. Next I will flood the tank with mysis and brine shrimps. That way, the out stretched tentacles of the sunnies will then be able to grab watever food that flows pass :)

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

• SRC Member
l wonder how other reefers manage to target feed their sunnies, esp those who have many colonies and if each head is to be fed individually...sounds quite siong... 

bro dun worry.. u dun need to target feed every polys.. cause their tissue are inter-link. Overfeeding will only kill ur sunnies

• SRC Member
Agreed tt sunnies are some of the nicest corals.

I target feed mine! hahahahha! 46 mouths! i counted! roughly there lar. but some are just new polyps so no count. too small to ingest anything. its SUPER SIONG!

• SRC Member
I feed cyclopeeze first and wait for abt 10-15 minutes to wait for the tentacles to come out. Next I will flood the tank with mysis and brine shrimps. That way, the out stretched tentacles of the sunnies will then be able to grab watever food that flows pass :)

hey will flooding the tank with food like make the water very dirty?

guess what? i discovered even more new polyps. the polyp shells that were dead, i look inside, eh eh! got new baby polyps start to grow! crazy crazy crazy!

no pictures today. sister stole my camera. tomorrow then take picture.

couple days ago. a very friendly refer gave me a block of zoas, they've started to open up. again pictures tomorrow

--------------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in my HDB

bro dun worry.. u dun need to target feed every polys.. cause their tissue are inter-link. Overfeeding will only kill ur sunnies

I didn't know they are interlinked... amazing discovery :bow:

• SRC Member

i agree with what most bros tell u ... feed the fish then the sun.

cyclo is also good ... i would also add daphnia to the list... u can get them from LFS.. comes in frozen packs like brine and mysis...

BUT FOR BEST RESULTS: target feed with mysis and not brine.. brine is not nutritious while mysis is.. twice a week and with good water conditions.. u will soon have a larger colony!

• SRC Member

hey will flooding the tank with food like make the water very dirty?

guess what? i discovered even more new polyps. the polyp shells that were dead, i look inside, eh eh! got new baby polyps start to grow! crazy crazy crazy!

no pictures today. sister stole my camera. tomorrow then take picture.

couple days ago. a very friendly refer gave me a block of zoas, they've started to open up. again pictures tomorrow

--------------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in my HDB

not exactly flood till totally filled with food. anyway, the fishes will also to feed the food too. therefore water will not be polluted in a way or so.

another way is using a syringe to target shoot to the sunny when are opened up. therefore, ensures that do also being fed.

I would also suggest a good skimmer to help skimmed away all the wastes if u are into heavy feeding :heh:

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

• SRC Member

I didn't know they are interlinked... amazing discovery :bow:

Me too didn't know they are interlinked. If so, then feed one or two heads shd suffice right?? Hmm...

Thanks for all the bros' comments, think l want to restart keeping sunnies liao. Cannot resist the colors and beauty of this coral le. :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

sometimes must watch inspect the colony. all though they're from the same colony, you might observe that half of the colony has this tone of orange, the other part has a darker tone. so perhaps they're 2 colonies sharing a same rock and growing next to each other.

• SRC Member
wah.. guess like my info seems fresh to alot of the bros in here.. mysis shrimp i think not a good choice too.. i feed mine with fish fillet

wah feed fish filltet? maybe try McNugget ah. for a change. hahahahhaha!

I'm feeding shrimp bits.

• SRC Member

i just thot of a solution, use henry's food, cut one cube out let it melt. then use a syringe, and directly squirt around the suns. the food particles are chunky, yet too small to be pulled away by fishies :)

merry xmas everybody!