Janitor to clean up my tank!

johntanjm

• SRC Member

just started at tank and its cycling for a month. now its time looking around for LS and i want to start with the clean up crew. was hoping you bros can give me some suggestions so i can widen my options.

What i have in mind:

Cleaner Shrimp

Chveron Tang (so expensive!)

Tomini Tang

help help! :)

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

just started at tank and its cycling for a month. now its time looking around for LS and i want to start with the clean up crew. was hoping you bros can give me some suggestions so i can widen my options.

What i have in mind:

Cleaner Shrimp

Chveron Tang (so expensive!)

Tomini Tang

help help! :)

Well you can start with some snails... some tiny hermits... sally lightfoot (maybe)... sand dollar... sand sifting star... they are all good stuff for controlling algae :P

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

bro i got no sand leh. the hermit crab and the SAND shifting star, SAND dollar can take it or not? hahahahahha!

hey ask you ah.. last time the LFS keeper tell me to keep rainford goby. say it eats algae. is it true?

• SRC Member

hi there bro johntanjm,

do try hopping by henry's to check out the small blue tuxedo urchins he's carrying. they have stiff bristly spines, as opposed to the hard sharp spines of other urchin species, and they do a great job clearing algaes on the liverocks, and best of all, do not need sand, and can handle high flow rates.

i find the halloween orange banded hermits to be quite diligent, but they need lots of spare shells of different sizes to prevent them from fighting, whilst seahares dont do terribly well in high flow conditions. a cleaner shrimp is good too, for general detritus consumption and for cleaning your fishes. i also have seven ###### shrimps that ive never fed and all have grown to twice their original size so i find them to be pretty good cleaners of spare food and detritus too, though be sure not to introduce them in a tank with fish that might eat them.

as for tomini tangs, i find them way too aggressive for use solely as cleanup crew. a tiny sailfin has a better temperament in my opinion.

well, just my two cents worth ya. hope it helps.

cheers,

ian

cheers,

ian

Bro Ian with his ever informative postings :bow::bow::bow:

Oh yeah... without sand... dun introduce Sand Sifting Star and Sand Dollar. They will not do well. Oh you might wanna consider Algae Blenny... of all fishes I've kept... my Algae Blenny is the only fish that still prefers algae over my feeds :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

hahaha thanks guys for all those comemnts.

Does the sailfin tang graze on algae? If it does i might consider one.

some hermit crabs look really cool but don't think i can be dilligent enough to provide them new shells.

I think my mum will freak when she sees the sea urchin!

Also i'm thinking of getting a pair of rainford gobies.

right now i've got diatoms, and i've got average filamentous algae.

did water change and introduced rowa as well as nitra lock today. hope these will curb the growth while i source for a clean up crew. :)

----------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in my HDB

• SRC Member

so i didn't wait, itchy hand go buy a SF Tang. a baby one at $8 so i thought was a pretty fair deal. wah seh, moment i put it into the tank it peck the algae already. few hours later, one bare patch on the glass. now im in skool studying. go back home later see whats the outcome.