Piero's Cheapo Tank

piero

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Its a 4 x 2 x 2 tank on a 5 ft chengai wood stand. Glass is 12 MM, built as a partition between my dining and living room

Sump is 3 ft(L) by 30 inches(H) by 18 inches(B).

the right column houses my 30+ inches beckett skimmer plus external overflow and iwaki md55 pump used to drive the skimmer.

Over all cost around 1.3K+ (depends on what U need and bargaining skills) done by gerrard (cabinet), tank (david). If you think thats a fair price, can pass U the contacts.

Nice looking tank :yeah::yeah::yeah:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

No la not upgrading. Thinking of giving up lol

Give up on your current tank so that can start a larger tank izzit? :eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Giving up your mahjong room and convert into a fish room izzit, I will provide free interior design for you :eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow::whistle

sorry bro piero :off:

Show us your lighting from Dr evil :eyebrow:

He not here yet leh... can see from his website what... I using T5. Going for for fishes and soft corals..

I am not turning on my chiller yet? Do I need to do so when i am cycling the tank?

Wat temp do U all set it at? I was thinking 28C..Is that too high?

yup 28 is okie i think . i think higher temp increase the metabolism and increase growth rate of BB.

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

higher meaning 29C?

I think 29ºC a little too high. If you are running a chiller... a range of 27ºC to 28ºC is ideal :)

Yeah... Was thinking of ard around 28C.

Chiller not on yet... Cycling the tank now. Shd I on it? How abt the skimmer? Turn on also?

Will post pic later today... Bz moving house now... Super shag.

IMO chiller can rest for the time bring unless the tank temperature rise to >30ºC... warmer water is better for bacteria cultivation :)

As for the skimmer... it really depends on the state of your LR and how fast you want the cycle to end. The best is (if you dun mind the longer time and smell) to not on the skimmer... let the rocks "rot"... but the smell can be :sick::sick::sick: ... more easier said than done actually :heh:

• SRC Member

IMO chiller can rest for the time bring unless the tank temperature rise to >30ºC... warmer water is better for bacteria cultivation :)

As for the skimmer... it really depends on the state of your LR and how fast you want the cycle to end. The best is (if you dun mind the longer time and smell) to not on the skimmer... let the rocks "rot"... but the smell can be :sick::sick::sick: ... more easier said than done actually :heh:

Rocks actually no smell cos its 4 year old rocks from another reefer... I dun seem to see any ammonia and nitrite after 1 week. The prawn that was thrown in has fully dissolved. THink later will test for nitrate.

• SRC Member

CYCLE is over!!!

Cant believe it. Its only 2 weeks. Just had my diatoms bloom, now all cleared after adding a few snails and turning on my wave maker.

Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite all zero even though skimmer not on. Think must be the work of the matured rocks... or cos no fish or anything at all.

Calcium is 460 or so using my brand new salifert test kits. Tonight going to test KH and Phosphate.

Will try to get the pics up. Always go to my new house and forget the camera.

Wow bro Piero!!! Good news indeed... all Zeros :bow:

Now comes the exciting part :eyebrow: