Piero's Cheapo Tank

piero

• SRC Member

Hi bro, ur tank cabinet color looks like mine. but wanna check wat material u using for the skimmer stand tat u DIY ? When the skimmer gets fill up with water , can be quite heavy, So its important to get a solid stand for the skimmer. Keep ur pics rowing in :lol:

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

the whole setup has been tested with freshwater. Nice and steady. its made of PVC pipes... Same structure as what I use for the LRs in my main tank. Think if they can hold the super heavy LRs, should be able to hold my skimmer. No problem so far.

• SRC Member

Now I know why Gerald is so busy. :P A nice tank setup in the making.

I'll prefer to have a slightly overrated pump. In any case, if its too strong, u can always try to have more output at ur main tank which can add as wavemaker. Else u can always tee-off to ur sump.

Have u tried the skimmer with pump running? Any vibration?

Cheers

JC

I kind of know that... Is it a must to have 10 times the flow in the tank? I am going for LPS only with no intent of doing SPS.

If that's your intention... I think you can proceed with your plan... the 10 times turnover is just a rough guide... personally i prefer a more manageable return pump taking power consumption, heat and noise generated into great considerations...

Another concern... do you have any electrical components beneath your skimmer? In case an overflow is to happen... the destruction may be fatal :nuke:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Only my iwaki pump. Which is alleviated with 3 pieces of foam. Think when it flood, water will just flow the gradual slope of the floor into the kitchen. So not too worried.

I more concerned about power outrages... U found your solution?

• SRC Member

If that's your intention... I think you can proceed with your plan... the 10 times turnover is just a rough guide... personally i prefer a more manageable return pump taking power consumption, heat and noise generated into great considerations...

Like Jervis mentioned, the 10 times turnover is merely a gauge. At the end of the day, the turnover between the main tank and the sump is to ensure that water is processed by the skimmer and chiller and whatever other equipment you have in the sump.

For example, if your skimmer turnsover 2000litres per hour, having a turnover rate of less than that from the sump to maintank is not going to be effective as the skimmer would be processing more sump water than main tank water (figuratively speaking). At the same time, having turnover rates of beyond 2000 at say 4000 litres per hour etc doesn't quite give that much benefit either as the skimmer is still only processing at 2000 litres per hour. So the other 2000 or so litres is just going to be directed back into the maintank for the purpose of additional flowrate.

So at the end of the day, if it's cost that is your consideration, two main things to consider is, 1. Ensure you have a sufficient skimmer for the tank volume. 2. Ensure that sufficient turnover is present that matches the skimmers processing volume. Hope i'm making some sense. :P

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

mind you, different skimmers have different ways of effectively processing the water, and generally, becketts come with much higher flowrates but lesser contact time, as opposed to needlewheels which are the opposite.

In ur case, looks like the becket would be having a significant amount of flow (with the iwaki)...and if the tank-sump turnover ends up becoming less than the flowrate of the skimmer, the other way to look at it would be that the skimmer would be a pseudo recirculating skimmer, ie. recirculating the sump water before hitting the main tank...

*gotta work on my explanation skills*...sorry if i'm not makin sense... :P

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

Only my iwaki pump. Which is alleviated with 3 pieces of foam. Think when it flood, water will just flow the gradual slope of the floor into the kitchen. So not too worried.

I more concerned about power outrages... U found your solution?

No i have not found a solution...will continue to search for it this week :unsure:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

OK Understand.... But the amount of water entering the beckkett is not directly equal to the amount of water that is processed?

I think that is what I was told, thats why the water flow rate required is higher for a beckkett.

Nevertheless, lets say that the flow rate is around 4000L/H from the output. I would require 4oooL/H acting as a return?

OK Understand.... But the amount of water entering the beckkett is not directly equal to the amount of water that is processed?

I think that is what I was told, thats why the water flow rate required is higher for a beckkett.

Nevertheless, lets say that the flow rate is around 4000L/H from the output. I would require 4oooL/H acting as a return?

You need perhaps a 5000 L/h pump to minus off the head loss and resistance etc.

Actually had a aquabee 7000 but sold it off thinking that its too powerful. its ok. Will see how things go before I make another purchase.

Actually the Aquabee 7000 would be an ideal pump... yeah don't rush... plan carefully :)

• SRC Member

You are correct, which is why beckets have a much higher flow rate than needlewheels...i guess we'll be going into processing efficiency of skimmers if we start talkin about that....

I guess my comments were more to be taken on a general basis....but to answer ur question, yes, it's difficult to measure actual headloss so generally speaking, getting a turnover rate to be a little over the skimmer rate would be advisable.

cheers! ;)

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

hi piero, another good quality of product from gerrad the tank maker. do u ever consider a pressure rated pump for ur tank?eg MDs 55/70 etc etc.. if u hv some space to spare in the cabinet, u can opt for it. imo, its good for such big tank like yours(considering the head loss) n can also do some T-Off too. its just my 2cents. :D

• SRC Member
hi piero, another good quality of product from gerrad the tank maker. do u ever consider a pressure rated pump for ur tank?eg MDs 55/70 etc etc.. if u hv some space to spare in the cabinet, u can opt for it. imo, its good for such big tank like yours(considering the head loss) n can also do some T-Off too. its just my 2cents. :D

Thot of that too... Still deciding. Will not make a purchase till Gerrard comes back with my new tank. Now Luan....

• SRC Member

Sad man over here... More than 10 days... Tank still not here... Saturday then replacement tank will come...

Decided to do some planning while waiting. Going to go for a LPS tank with some corals but more emphasis on fishes.

Anyone can help me with the type and numbers of tangs I can keep in my 4 2 2. Have to be nice nice colour one... My wife not appreciative of black or even purple tangs.

Anyone can help me with the type and numbers of tangs I can keep in my 4 2 2. Have to be nice nice colour one... My wife not appreciative of black or even purple tangs.

Haha... yeah most people will not appreciate Black Tang :lol::lol::lol:

I will recommend a school of small Yellow Tangs... 4 to 5 of them. Blue Tang also nice, but I find them grow too fast.

How about a highlight Tang... like a Chevron Tang or something.

• SRC Member
My wife loves yellow tangs. Can I have 3 of them? one Salfin, one cheron and one sohal? Bioload too high?

A school of YT will look nice.. saw that in acidjazz thread.. :D:D

Main Tank: 5 x 1 x 1

Return from overflow: Eheim compact+ 5000

Lighting: 2x 54W T5

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1350

Chiller: Arctica 1/10

Wave Maker: Tunze Nano Wavebox & Tunze 6055 with Photocell
Monitor 1: American Marine Pinpoint pH monitor
Monitor 2: American Marine Pinpoint Temperature monitor