Piero's Cheapo Tank

piero

• SRC Member

Couple of pics to update the thread.

Did some shopping with the nice shipment from GO and Iwarna.

A blue maxi and some US Zoas....

trying to post pic... Seem to have some problems... Will do it later.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

wow... Finally found my thread..

Anyway, recently things hasn't been too good reefing wise.

I realised that my sump tank is only 2.5ft. Always thot I ordered 3 ft... but that is a small matter. A crack appeared at the hole drilled for my external pump.

Immediately called up my tank maker. He say only can fix it one week later. The last time I had a leakage, my whole living room flooded and I had to get my carpet replaced... Cost me quite a bomb. So when he say he cannot come by for a while in the next few days, I decided to fix the sump myself as well as to order a new acrylic sump from Ian Aquatic. To add, I was super duper pissed. Why service so poor...

Anyway arcylic sump was completed in 1 week but I was clumsy enough to have an accident to knock the tap off the sump. Immediately called Ian up, he was supposed to go for a holiday of sorts... But knowing that I have to replace my cracked sump, he obliged and asked me to bring back the sump during deepavali (yest) to his workshop. Fixed up everything cost free and within an hour.

Thumbs up!!!!! :thanks::thanks::thanks:

Will consider an acrylic tank from him the next time I upgrade. :peace:

Here are some pics. Moved my deltec skimmer out of sump into the first chamber. The outout placed in this way, reduces noises dramtically.

Also added a refugium which was my initial plan for my old sump except that the sump was not built to my design so cannot have a refugium. Another minus point for my initial tank builder.

And lastly, quick release taps suggested by Ian for easy removal of pumps for maintenance.

Overall very happy with the service, though price can be more affordable :lol:

But both myself and my wife agree that its money well spent and with good service, why not.

post-34-1194573201.jpg

• SRC Member

Looking to replace my resung C500 chiller in the next upgrade.

Currently able to chill my 4 2 2 tank and 2 feet sump within 20 mins and kicks in only once in 2 hours. From high 28C to 27 C so around 1C+ drop.

Anything comparable? Need something more energy efficient.

• SRC Member
Looking to replace my resung C500 chiller in the next upgrade.

Currently able to chill my 4 2 2 tank and 2 feet sump within 20 mins and kicks in only once in 2 hours. From high 28C to 27 C so around 1C+ drop.

Anything comparable? Need something more energy efficient.

20 minutes quite efficient oredi.... <_<

Emm... it's interesting that your water temperature is within 27ºC to 28ºC... your corals are looking good!

Perhaps I have brought my tank temperature too low (25ºC) which may not be necessary... more a luxury :unsure:

Keep the updates coming bro!

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
wow... Finally found my thread..

Anyway, recently things hasn't been too good reefing wise.

I realised that my sump tank is only 2.5ft. Always thot I ordered 3 ft... but that is a small matter. A crack appeared at the hole drilled for my external pump.

Immediately called up my tank maker. He say only can fix it one week later. The last time I had a leakage, my whole living room flooded and I had to get my carpet replaced... Cost me quite a bomb. So when he say he cannot come by for a while in the next few days, I decided to fix the sump myself as well as to order a new acrylic sump from Ian Aquatic. To add, I was super duper pissed. Why service so poor...

Anyway arcylic sump was completed in 1 week but I was clumsy enough to have an accident to knock the tap off the sump. Immediately called Ian up, he was supposed to go for a holiday of sorts... But knowing that I have to replace my cracked sump, he obliged and asked me to bring back the sump during deepavali (yest) to his workshop. Fixed up everything cost free and within an hour.

Thumbs up!!!!! :thanks::thanks::thanks:

Will consider an acrylic tank from him the next time I upgrade. :peace:

Here are some pics. Moved my deltec skimmer out of sump into the first chamber. The outout placed in this way, reduces noises dramtically.

Also added a refugium which was my initial plan for my old sump except that the sump was not built to my design so cannot have a refugium. Another minus point for my initial tank builder.

And lastly, quick release taps suggested by Ian for easy removal of pumps for maintenance.

Overall very happy with the service, though price can be more affordable :lol:

But both myself and my wife agree that its money well spent and with good service, why not.

You are very correct on the service. I hate when something leaks.

Seems Ian is very professional.

gerrard ar... i heard a lot of complaint on his services and tank quality. very poor ... i think ur tank he change only one panel for u... he nv change the whole tank for you.

some of my frenz also order tank from him....veri poorly made tank and services. Poor quality tank. the way he deliver the tank to buyer...not professional at all!!

All my frenz regret too.

Not worth the money paid for.

• SRC Member
gerrard ar... i heard a lot of complaint on his services and tank quality. very poor ... i think ur tank he change only one panel for u... he nv change the whole tank for you.

some of my frenz also order tank from him....veri poorly made tank and services. Poor quality tank. the way he deliver the tank to buyer...not professional at all!!

All my frenz regret too.

Not worth the money paid for.

Well lesson learned...

NExt time I will have an arcylic tank.... But not anytime soon if not my wife will kill me....