Piero's Cheapo Tank

piero

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
My wife loves yellow tangs. Can I have 3 of them? one Salfin, one cheron and one sohal? Bioload too high?

Whatever you do, make sure u get a small sohal and get him in the tank last. He'll beat the crap out of any other tang u put in later, that's smaller or equal size to him.

my two cents :P

Actually, if ur lookin at a sohal (abt 3-4 inches), i might be letting go of mine within the new few months...so lemme know... ;)

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

small small.. there are 2.5" sohal but its super super rare, usually 3" are the smallest in the shipment. they grow fast too. so are you saying that your other tang will be like 4"? if so i think your tank bioload will be super high with 5 4" tang 1 3" tang.

IMO, i would say forgo either the sohal or just keep 1 yt.

Member of

n34281892381_7606.jpg

• SRC Member

angel are the nicest center piece. but doubt you will want them. achilles tang? moorish idol fare better in reef tank althought they are not reef safe but then they are hard to keep. you will have to put it in before the tangs and let it establish so to ensure they will snatch for food but then when they are established, they will be aggressive..

Member of

n34281892381_7606.jpg

Also to add... I will be starting my cycling soon.

Shd I run my two FR? For Phoshate removal and also carbon.

And also skimmer should be on?

Depends on the state of your LR bro... if your LR are already matured (cylced in someone else's tank) perhaps skimmer is not a necessity... but running of PO4 remover is essential :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

What brand of carbon are you using if any?

I am currently using Aquapharm BlackGold :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

I am currently using Aquapharm BlackGold :)

From AM????

I think I settle my salt first... I bought Oceanic... Was told that its pretty good yah??

Anyway replacement tank coming tml. Going to be on leave till monday to fill it up with DI water and to scape the LR!!!

Yeah!!!

• SRC Member

some busy day expected when tank's coming..... Think u can't wait much longer to start ur tank :P But a good slow cycling start will ensure a better tank with lesser problem B) way to go bro ........

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

• SRC Member
some busy day expected when tank's coming..... Think u can't wait much longer to start ur tank :P But a good slow cycling start will ensure a better tank with lesser problem B) way to go bro ........

Yupz. Understand that. Planning to get life stock only when I get my pay next month. This month's pay for additives or equipments. Will get my first piece of lifestock only after mid of next month.

I am using LR from a fellow reefer who has had it in her tank for 4 years. Should help in hastening the cycling process I hope.

• SRC Member

Yeah!!! Tank arrive on friday and I have been working non-stop to clean the tank, rinse it with tap water.

And spent almost 8 hours to fill up the tank with DI water.... Now waiting for the salt to fully dissolve before moving my sand and LR in.

Anyone has any idea how to tune a beckett? My Iwaki MD 55 seems a tad too strong for the skimmer. Water level always bursting through the top.

• SRC Member
Yeah!!! Tank arrive on friday and I have been working non-stop to clean the tank, rinse it with tap water.

And spent almost 8 hours to fill up the tank with DI water.... Now waiting for the salt to fully dissolve before moving my sand and LR in.

Anyone has any idea how to tune a beckett? My Iwaki MD 55 seems a tad too strong for the skimmer. Water level always bursting through the top.

Valve?

PIx Pix Pix :yeah::yeah::yeah:

• SRC Member

OK all up. Skimmer is producing nice bubbles after I adjusted the value and air intake. Salt finally dissolved fully too after one day of running my return and tunze.

Problem now is the tank is super cloudy after I dumped in the sand.

I am now having grade "o" sand. Should I add a grade 2 layer on top? A bit worried about the fine sand being too light and kenna blown to one side by my return and tunze.

Will take some pics after I move the LR from my parents place over.

A bit busy these days, undergoing a career and house move at the same time. Super tired manz...