DSB

orgasbt

The bummer about DSB is that it takes up a lot of depth.... in your case, you have a 2 and half feet height... so no probs!

For grade #0, 4 inches should be sufficient... if you don't mind losing 2 more... go for 6 inchs! :)

• SRC Member

actually it depends on ur preference.

supposingly u have a sump. mayb u can create the DSB in ur sump like most of the guys did here. in the main tank u can do a 3 " SB just purely for asthetic reasons...

i read somewhere with #0 sand its possible to have DSB till 5 inch ...

but i dont really noe whether its true a not..

actually its best to have #0 below abt 4 inch with a mesh on top of the SB and then another 2 inch of #1 sand.

advantages are prevent sand diggers from burrowing into the sand bed.

#1 sand will not fall below to #0 sand .(hope tt makes sand,though sand deplete over time..)

for my case. im using #1,#3,#10 sand...

first 3 inch theres a plenum system.( surrounding the plenum and thin layer on top are the #10. reasons cant find smaller mesh tt finer grade sand wont fall in, so LL use #10.)

second 2 inch of #3 sand to block up those 'holes' from the #10.

follow by a mesh on top of the SB.

and another 1 inch + of #1 sand .

(i know tts a weird,wrong,failed way of DSB, tt some might say.)-_-

but hey, i got this inspiration from another reefer tank tts up and running for 2 yrs.. i also like the different layer look of the tank.

might add another 1 inch of #0 for asthetic reasons;plus i read an article abt pods are found in higher density in #0 sand compared to other grades.

tts just my newbie setup .

its really up to u how u wanna do it.

cheers

:lol:

• SRC Member

I had just added the extra bag of 0grade sand. Now, i think my tank look damm weird. Find that the sand bed is too high. Cant see much. Will take out that extra 1inch of sand. Will post pic on the 2 different later.

• SRC Member

actually the DSB is best used in the sump if u dont like to see such a deep look in ur tank.

DSB refers more to surface and depth .

with all the LR on top of the DSB there wouldnt be much surface area..

tts y theres many reasons y pple put the DSB in the sump.

make sure tt water flow over it and not under and through it .

• SRC Member
I had just added the extra bag of 0grade sand. Now, i think my tank look damm weird. Find that the sand bed is too high. Cant see much. Will take out that extra 1inch of sand. Will post pic on the 2 different later.

If it looks wierd, just buy the black tape n tape the tank's bottom loh....

wat's more impt is its reliable function... :)

i have a question about DSB. if i'm using crushed coral sand for my DSB, how much is enough for the depth? and also is it really necessary to include caulerpa or other any higher algae plus 24 hr lighting in my sump? can i just make do with the coral sand?

Another question about using plenum. i have read the plenum space should only be 1 inch, what if i made it to 2 inch plus another 2 inch coral sand topped up with 1 inch sugar fine sand? will the plenum still function because of the elevated plenum space?

please enlighten

:unsure:

"Less technology, more biology" --- John Tullock

• SRC Member

About your question on DSb, the depth will depend on the grade of crushed coral sand used, the bigger the grains, the thicker the DSB has to be.Macro algaes are put into a refugium as a form of nutrient export, if your bioload is very low and you are diligent enough to change water frequently, than you can skip the refugium but its your loss.