Nitrate Absorption Compounds

accurist

• SRC Member

i m also trying that ... will do a nitrate test tom n c what the readings r

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member

OK .. for guys using it .. tested .. works .. nitrate levels drop from 50ppm to less than 20ppm within 3 days .. but I was using it prior by dumping the bag in the sump .. didn't work ..

now based off recommendations by Henry from Marinelife.. I had it put into an FR .. works like a charm .. but problem is you need to take out the bag for it to fluidise .. and when you do .. the small resins tend to flwo out of reactor .. making a mess of the tank ..

lucky it's not poisonous .. as it got onto my main tank too .. and some of my fish thought it was food :angry:

aquatronica7na.gif

The only thing I could find was Seachem denitrate, but its not an absorption compound, but got a litre to try out. doubt it will help.

Don't waste time :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Thanks for the info, I'll try some in my FR as a short term measure. I know that I need to upgrade my skimmer, and throw the bioballs for a long term fix.

Yes upgrading to a more efficient skimmer (overpower by 1 model if can afford) is definitely a long term solution to your NO problem.

Why would you want to dispose all the bioballs that already contain so much aerobic bacterias on it? Just make sure no wastes/food/macroalgaes come in contact with the bioballs... make sure your filter floss works well.

Remember, the bioballs help to convert much more harmful Ammonia to Nitrite, Nitrite to Nitrate. A sudden removal of a large amount of Aerobic bacterias MAY create a sudden spike in Ammonia.

If you are determined to remove the bioballs, try to remove them in phases... perhaps 25% every 3 days. If I were you, I will just upgrade the skimmer for the time being.

Hope this helps :lol:

Je®vis

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

OK .. for guys using it .. tested .. works .. nitrate levels drop from 50ppm to less than 20ppm within 3 days .. but I was using it prior by dumping the bag in the sump .. didn't work ..

now based off recommendations by Henry from Marinelife.. I had it put into an FR .. works like a charm .. but problem is you need to take out the bag for it to fluidise .. and when you do .. the small resins tend to flwo out of reactor .. making a mess of the tank ..

lucky it's not poisonous .. as it got onto my main tank too .. and some of my fish thought it was food :angry:

Yes, I agree, the resins are really light that they will flow out of the FR. After I bought a control valve, everything was ok, the resins dancing up and down in the FR. Prior to start using the resins in the FR, get a control valve for your FR, it works like miracle. If not, get a FR with a control valve attached, henry have it, it's even better. :lol:

• SRC Member

tried the product pura nitratelock for abt 10 days (10 Oct - 20 Oct) ... just dump the whole bag into the sump .

result = no change in nitrates lvl still ard 20 ppm ... i think the method may be wrong after doing a search in the net...

this w/e will get another FR n place the pura nitratelock in it n see if i get better results

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :