I need comments on my lighting

blueheaven

I am now using one ATI T5 Aquablue Special and one Arcadia Marine Actinic for my 2ft tank. Like this good enough for clams and other SPS anot?

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

tombang on this thread on lighting for clams, if wattage is one of the key considerations, does it make a difference between MH or T5 ?

For example, for a 2.5ft height tank, we would need at least 250W of MH. If we use 3x80W T5 (asuming a 5ft length tank) we would have got 240W.

Pls advise if the comparison is valid and able to support clams. Understood SPS will not do.

• SRC Member
I am now using one ATI T5 Aquablue Special and one Arcadia Marine Actinic for my 2ft tank. Like this good enough for clams and other SPS anot?

I guess you need to let us know how many T5 are you using and what is the height of your 2 ft tank? If you are new to the hobby, I will not recomend you to keep SPS or clams. If you really want to keep these 2 category, make sure you can provide the ideal environment for it, lighting is only part of the equation to keep the above 2 category, there is still alot more that you need to cater for it.

I guess you need to let us know how many T5 are you using and what is the height of your 2 ft tank? If you are new to the hobby, I will not recomend you to keep SPS or clams. If you really want to keep these 2 category, make sure you can provide the ideal environment for it, lighting is only part of the equation to keep the above 2 category, there is still alot more that you need to cater for it.

I think he mention one t5

150w of MH vs 150w of FL vs 150w of PL vs 150w of T5 vs 150w incandescent vs 150w of LED = All have different intensities of light due to the inherent design and efficiency of bulb.

Intensity is key to depth penetration. A deep tank will typically require a higher intensity bulb or your lower placed inhabitants will not get enough light. For SPS, intensity is crucial if you want to make sure they don't remain dull and brown.

what kinds of coral are considered to be 'SPS' ?

Hmm... if you don't know what SPS corals are... why ask about lighting for them?

Lighting is just a small part of keeping SPS...

You have to read up more about corals and their requirements before attempting them... esp. SPS.

I recommend you start with keeping easy to keep corals like soft corals first... and progress to LPS corals later on.

ok so got any recommendations?? :D:peace::lol:

It would GREATLY help if you provide a LOT more information first if you want specific advice. :) Help us to help you! :peace:

Eg.

How deep is your tank? - A 2ft long tank can be 3ft deep or just 1 feet deep!

What do you intend to keep in future? - ok, you said clams and sps... but first... you have to read up more and get more experience first.. ;)

Budget? - no problem?

Overhead restrictions? - lack of space, can't build a hood, can't drill into ceiling?

Heat restrictions eg. can't afford a chiller?

Do you have plans to upgrade soon? - don't waste money upgrading all the time.

It's like buying a car... :) You need to know what you want... to use it for... budget.... how often you drive..... fuel consumption... etc. of course, the basic question is... do you even know what a car is? Do you even have a driving license? :D

I'd recommend a Lamborghini Diablo, even if you just want to market! :)

Blueheaven.... i found your tank specs thread.

You have a small tank and probably the usage of PL or T5 will be sufficient to keep even SPS corals.

But you should not progress there until you gain a little more experience with your current livestock first. :)

Ok my tank is measuring 2ft by 1ft by 1ft

No more space to put anything on top of tank liao

Don't need a chiller

Budget a little bit tight

wanna set clams to ultimate goal (did some research le)

planning to upgrade to 5ft after 5 years

will this help??? :thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

oh so you saw the thread liao

can help me think of ideas to catch the mantis?

its really in a rock i cannot remove (foundation)

• SRC Member
It would GREATLY help if you provide a LOT more information first if you want specific advice. :) Help us to help you! :peace:

Eg.

How deep is your tank? - A 2ft long tank can be 3ft deep or just 1 feet deep!

What do you intend to keep in future? - ok, you said clams and sps... but first... you have to read up more and get more experience first.. ;)

Budget? - no problem?

Overhead restrictions? - lack of space, can't build a hood, can't drill into ceiling?

Heat restrictions eg. can't afford a chiller?

Do you have plans to upgrade soon? - don't waste money upgrading all the time.

It's like buying a car... :) You need to know what you want... to use it for... budget.... how often you drive..... fuel consumption... etc. of course, the basic question is... do you even know what a car is? Do you even have a driving license? :D

I'd recommend a Lamborghini Diablo, even if you just want to market! :)

can we move the light to the coral so we dont need high intensity? for example, place the light behind the tank at mid level(height) of the fish tank or just above the corals.

will that help?

• SRC Member

can we move the light to the coral so we dont need high intensity? for example, place the light behind the tank at mid level(height) of the fish tank or just above the corals.

will that help?

if you have a 150W light, it will be helpful to move your clams higher up the tank, but if your light is just a 36W PL, its useless.

:lol: