SOHO reef

yvoneysl

sis...I am "hard core of a deep sand bed system"...no way my tank will be no sand..

Anyway DSB in the Live Sand Filter depends upon "sand stirrers" moving through the sand....why hydrogen sulphide present , how?

Pockets of toxic gasses (produced by decaying organic matter) form thus by having those critters minimize the gas to be created...evolved...

thus having crites like sand dollar,snails etc etc is good because when they move or plow through the substrate, consuming detritus and uneaten food as well as releasing the toxic gases in small quantities, before they can grow to dangerous levels..

Well just my 2 cents perhaps the senior here can further enlighten... :thanks:

• Replies 613
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Ya ya you can address sis or bro cos this tank is own by yvonne and YSL.

Bro woverine, you are the king of DSB so please help to answer question no 2 :evil:

Q2- Substrate

What's the maximum depth for DSB, is 8" too much? Am I asking for trouble with very deep DSB?

Planning to using mixture of grade 1 sand with aragonite, is this ok and what's the mix ratio? If not what will be the better choice?

:bow::bow::bow:

sorry Bro

king of DSB no! no ! me only a newbie trying to share

my limited experience...

How deep emmm I believe it is ideally a minimum of 4 inches

which contains a wide variety of grain size so as to entertain

a well colonised to house different range of beneficial

creatures, many of which live at different levels in the sand bed.....

Oh... a DSB guru indeed :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Not much of progress due to my in-camp training.... :unsure:

Thanks woverine for the information on DSB. Will start with 3 inches deep sand bed using a wide variety of grain size. :bow:

Bro lyz77 my monthly electrical bill average is about 250. I think about 100 go to aquarium consumption. :cry2:

Some more equipments to share

DI unit

3-Stage tap water filter with TDS meter

post-34-1157895386.jpg

Wah bro... we share same taste in equipments :lol: DI and Arctica (also 1/3hp)... everything is going according to plan? When will you open a tank-warming party? :rolleyes:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Ya, everything seen on schedule for the sump(Phase 1). :lol:

Hopfully can donate my existing 3ft tanks by this Sunday so as to make way for the new sump, water storage tank & quarantine tank. I have incorporate a quarantine tank beside the refugium, as the best way of avoiding the introduction of parasites and diseases into the mini eco system.

Will post the undated sump elevation soon for more advise before the fabrication. :bow:

I have incorporate a quarantine tank beside the refugium, as the best way of avoiding the introduction of parasites and diseases into the mini eco system.

It's a good idea to have Q tank... this Q tank is not connected to the rest of the system, is it?

• SRC Member

The QT is seperated from the main system.

Just a small bare tank between 60- 80L with small filter, PL light and some PVC tubes as hiding places.

Will connect the filer pump to a exterior UV if required.

After some though, I think QT is a must. :eyebrow:

After some though, I think QT is a must. :eyebrow:

It is a must... good decision bro :lol:

• SRC Member

Hopfully this will be the final revision ;)

Add in a quarantine tank beside the Refugium.

To make water change as easy as ABC, here's the concept for the water changing tank;

Step 1 -Tank will be fill up with DI water control by float value.

Step 2 -Add salt

Step 3 -Turn on pump inside the tank to mix one night before

Step 4 -Turn off return pump/s, DI water inlet

Step 5- Drain water from Refugium or QT or sump

Step 6- Open value to Refugium or QT

Step 7- Close value

Step 8- Turn on DI water inlet, tank will be fill for next water change

Done :whistle

post-34-1158038544.jpg

Much better... can see the improvements everytime you post your revised plan... having the chiller hot air outlet next to your window is good... you sure your skimmer can fit? Looks very short to me leh... a BK? :lol:

Haha... bro yvoneysl is a very powerful man :lol: A glory to all mankind! :bow:

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Updates !!! :lol:

Finally manage to brake down all my planted tanks...

Full view showing 3 tier custom made stainless steel support using 40mm by 40mm SQ hollow section with plywood base.

Chiller is place on top level with the hot air outlet facing the window for better ventilation.

post-34-1161358587.jpg