Mini X-reef Skimmers

southpaw23

No...it shouldn't be targetted at you...just that you were the main one responding the last few threads... :P

Hehe... I'm one of the few that can have access to SRC during office hours :lol::lol::lol: Can you get the manufacturer to do a proper product review on this product? Or at least show it in water lah :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

I guess the tricky part is trying to establish comparisons when there really hasn't been real life testimonies of users of the X-reef. The whole reason i posed the question was to try and get an understanding of how one technology or brand can be that much better than another and justify the additional price tag?

And i was wanting to limit the discussion to purely performance because the other arguements of reliability, reputation, brand loyalty etc....is a whole different issue that i dont wanna get into...

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member
Hehe... I'm one of the few that can have access to SRC during office hours :lol::lol::lol: Can you get the manufacturer to do a proper product review on this product? Or at least show it in water lah :lol:

nice job u have there...but i have access to the forums during ours too..probably not as much as you tho... :P

As for the review...well, i spoke to the manufacturer before, and i think they're too busy focussing on the export market as that's where the money is for them...and apparently profits aren't too big locally so there hasn't been alot of focus on gaining market confidence here.

Either way...the link i posted from the reborn thread has pics of their skimmers in action...and i have seen it personally too a while back....bubble density is very impressive and so was the skimate...and we know how much u love skimate :sick:

:lol::lol:

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

It is quite a tricky comparison... as for most of us, most products come as a package. You don't just buy a car that saves energy, you will look into the comfort, handling, safety, track record, after sales service, warranty & etc. (if you want to put the reputation, brand loyalty and advertising aside).

Again, if PERFORMANCE is your only theme, the only way to do it is not by WORDS but by putting the 2 skimmers next to each other.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

nice job u have there...but i have access to the forums during ours too..probably not as much as you tho... :P

As for the review...well, i spoke to the manufacturer before, and i think they're too busy focussing on the export market as that's where the money is for them...and apparently profits aren't too big locally so there hasn't been alot of focus on gaining market confidence here.

Either way...the link i posted from the reborn thread has pics of their skimmers in action...and i have seen it personally too a while back....bubble density is very impressive and so was the skimate...and we know how much u love skimate :sick:

:lol::lol:

Too bad I've already bought the ATI Bubble Master... or else can also consider this skimmer... to support local market a bit lah :lol:

It's actually quite sad to hear businesses "focusing on overseas as the local market is not profitable enough"... it is happening all around us... luckily we have brands like Tiger Beer, their philosophy is... although the local market is small, they will continue to spend millions on advertising campaign to strengthen their position as they want to be seen as a proud Singapore brand.

So how well can a brand do elsewhere if it doesn't get enough footing in its own country? (Like no one actually seen it before?) Unless they register a company in Texas and brand it as an American brand :lol::lol::lol:

Any reefers using a X-Reef Skimmer? Maybe can post some skimmate here (as I love them :sick: )

I know all these branding issues are way :off: but that is what my clients paid my company to help them look into :lol:

• SRC Member

I guess at the end of the day it's still a business and it's a tough world out there to make ends meet....if profitability is better elsewhere, then it makes sense to focus there first and build their base....especially when it's a startup.

southpaw23's reef

I guess at the end of the day it's still a business and it's a tough world out there to make ends meet....if profitability is better elsewhere, then it makes sense to focus there first and build their base....especially when it's a startup.

You have a point there too... is X-Reef a SRC sponsor? If yes, that will give this new startup more access to the reefers here... I'm sure a lot of SRC membes will support forum sponsors :) And also some nice deals for the reefers lah :P

I am the user of Deltec APF600, the pump rated is only 7w and not wat the previous posted as 38w. This pump is specially manufactured for Deltec, dun tin u can get it outside.

Hi Skimmer,

I think you make a mistake on the wattage.

There are 2 type of Aquabee which is rated 2000 liters/hour.

Aquabee 2000, i think 18 watt

Aquabee 2000I is 38 watt.

Deltec AP600 is using the lower wattage version which is Aquabee 2000.

APF600 is using Aquabee 2000I which is 38 watt.

;)

Aquabee 2000, i think 18 watt

Aquabee 2000I is 38 watt.

Deltec AP600 is using the lower wattage version which is Aquabee 2000.

APF600 is using Aquabee 2000I which is 38 watt.

;)

Wah... so actually AP600 is very low power consumption leh... only $2.70 per month!!! :o

Wah... so actually AP600 is very low power consumption leh... only $2.70 per month!!! :o

Hi Jervis,

I cant remember the actual wattage but definitely it is much lower.

May be you can check at aquabee website.

the AP600 and smaller model usually use this pump

but the 2000i will draw more air and create more intense bubbles.

All aquabee and eheim pumps used by deltec, H&S are all std pumps.

They are not customised made for these skimmers makers as claimed by our reefer.

The only difference are the impeller.

These impellers are expensive to purchase and it is Patented even Deltec has to pay for this patent charges.

;)

• SRC Member

Don't know where ur getting ur 7 watts from...this was taken directly off reefdepots website on the specs of the APF600

Air Intake

500 L/hr

Power Consumption

21 watts

Unless they made the pump super duper efficient to cut 2 thirds of the power consumption, i just don't see how it's possible.

cheers ;)

southpaw23's reef

Yeah I find 7W a bit unbelievable also... there's a only fine line between super duper efficiency and underpower :nc: