LRs changing color

• SRC Member

hi reefers..

i have seen LRs from many other reefers..

with algaes of reddish, purple, green..

but mine is turning brown.. brownish..

generally whole lot of them :cry2:

initally i got my my LRs from another reefer

and the LRs are quite mature ones

with the purplish things (forgot wat its called) growing all over liao .. :lol:

but recently, esp after i got my T5,

i see a slight change in colors on my LRs

brownish, and if i pick it up and rub, a tiny bit brownish stuff will drop off..

is it algae oso?? :huh:

can anyone enlightment me??

my water parameters are fine.. (if anyone of u are thinking to ask ..)

• SRC Member

Browning only meant that algae is growing. Dose kalkwaser will bring coralline algae back.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

Those purple/reddish looking algae is know as Coralline Algae and it is highly desirable. You have 2 problems at hand that need to be tackled one at a time.

Firstly, the brown thingy:

I suspect those are brown algae (or whatever you call it) and they are real bad! What lighting were you using previously? Is there a major change in intensity? What is the Phosphate level? To be frank with you, there must be something wrong in your system that promotes such growth... brownish algae is also common in new setups. Find out the reason why.

Secondly, the Purple Coralline Algae:

In order to maintain coralline algae, the condition of your tank must be right. KH, Calcium, Magnesium and Strontium (just to name a few). It can be a daunting task maintaining all these at tip top level just to grow some purple algae! There are 2 products I recommend you try. Caribsea AragaMilk and PurpleUp. You can find both at Reefdepot. You can read more at product review done by bro Altantis. I'm using both with very positive results. Actinic light also help in promoting growth (believe it or not).

If you are using tap water... perhaps that's the source of the problem.

Je®vis

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

thanks for all the hits..

i am using PL previously..now T5s..

i am oso keen to find out wat is the reasons..

guess its more test kit buying..??

BTW Dose kalkwaser will bring coralline algae back.

but will it affect my water paras..??

thanks for all the hits..

i am using PL previously..now T5s..

i am oso keen to find out wat is the reasons..

guess its more test kit buying..??

BTW Dose kalkwaser will bring coralline algae back.

but will it affect my water paras..??

Yes, Kalkwasser is a good source of Calcium.

Yes, dosing of Kalkwasser will also affect your other parameters... only use it if you are confident.

As mentioned before, if all you want is some nice coralline algae... stop the algae/diatom from spreading (lots of methods to achieve this) and can try Caribsea AragaMilk or PurpleUp. That will give you the purple you always wanted :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

will the aragamilk or purple up affect the ph,kh and other parameter????

kH yes, pH not noticable... according to the product claim... these 2 products are natural products, there's no danger of overdosing... so far my tank looks decently "purple" after using them for 2+ months :)

• SRC Member

umm.. ya i am keen on where to get the Caribsea AragaMilk. or purpleUp too..

i juz wanna get rid of the brown stuffs..

the purple algae, its fine will me.. slowly slowly come..

haha.. but the brown algae i wanna xterminate them..