Jervis' Full Time Job

jervismun

Thanks bro... here's a cute shot :D

post-34-1176048603.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

heys..show those new colour sticks u bought for one of the senior reefers lehs!! :lol:

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member

can guess which piece u got from him.. haha.. the big mili and the stag behind right? lol.. the 3rd piece i donno.. lol.. really very nice.. :D ur tank really insipire me of having my coming 3ft tank.. haha..

Reefing is like a Relationship, Once you fall in Love with it, You will Love it for Life... :wub:

5a8bbdf6e2308_YUMA16.png.f2e17836611683574a142ad6fbd86466.png

INSPIRATIONAL.......as always.... :lol:

Hey bro!!! Long time no see... still resisting the DARK SIDE? :lol::lol::lol: If you wanna try SPS... come to my office... I will bring you over to the DARK SIDE :evil::evil::evil:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

oh btw, i think your anemone is quite an eyesore, planted smack by the front panel...

I know... but I rather have it smacked there than to have it hacked into 10000 pieces :erm::erm::erm:

Let me share with you guys one of my feeding methods... as a SPS keeper... I will try my very very best to reduce/eliminate Phosphate introduced to the system via feeding. According to an article in Coral Magazine, thawed water from Frozen Brine Shrimp measures as much as 1000ppm of Phosphate!!! (a study done in the US) :erm:

I usually feed twice a day... meaning I will have to repeat this process twice daily :eyebrow:

In the morning, 2 cubes of Frozen Mysis plus 2 cubes of Frozen Brine Shrimps :)

post-34-1176122878.jpg

Some reefers will leave the cubes out in the open for natural thawing... but I prefer to "quick melt" them using boiling distilled water. For the following reasons:

1) The melting process will only take 2 to 3 minutes... I can instantly feed my fish... reducing the chances for bacterias and pathogens to develop/grow.

2) Tap water contains phosphate... therefore it is not the best media to be used in soaking/rinsing.

post-34-1176123288.jpg

:D

post-34-1176123347.jpg

Can't imagine it being poured into my tank :cry: But I got a feeling my skimmer can easily extract 75% of it out within a couple of hours :lol:

post-34-1176123863.jpg

This is a very important step :lol::lol::lol: I will squeeze the food using my stainless-steel teaspoon... (broke a few plastic spoons long the way :lol: ) Now I can feed my precious :lol::lol::lol: I will try to finish feeding within 15 minutes... any unfinished food will be discarded :nc:

Hope you guys find it useful :D

post-34-1176124043.jpg

This is a very important step :lol::lol::lol: I will squeeze the food using my stainless-steel teaspoon... (broke a few plastic spoons long the way :lol: ) Now I can feed my precious :lol::lol::lol: I will try to finish feeding within 15 minutes... any unfinished food will be discarded :nc:

Hope you guys find it useful :D

great info !!!

:bow::bow::bow:

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

why not try water form the tank rather than tape water?

I need boiling hot water for "quick melt"... furthermore if I keep drawing salt water from the tank... then I will have to make up for it (by adding saltier water) :P:P:P Not a good idea IMO :erm:

As planned... my Arctica 1/3hp chiller is back to acceptable level... running 7 hours a day (4 kick-ins)... before changing to T5 the chiller runs for at least 9 hours (5 kick-ins) daily

From the graph below, lighting is still the main heat contributor... besides...

1) Tunze Streams... during lighting hours, my 4 Tunze Streams will pulse from 30% to 100%, after lighting hours, they will remain at 30%, generating less heat at night.

2) Lighting for my 2ft tank... ATI PM 2ft x 4 tubes.

After studying the graph closely, my current equipments are not generating much heat... it took 5 hours to rise 1ºC (8.30pm to 1.30am, 3am to 8am)... not bad at all... I think my investment in good equipments does pay-off in the long run :eyebrow:

post-34-1176129324.jpg

Ok guys... if the graph above doesn't make much sense... IT DOESN'T MAKES SENSE AT ALL :shock::shock::shock:

I misread the graph... the situation is very serious (opposite of my previous post)... the chiller runs for 5 hours at night to bring down 1ºC!!! :shock::shock::shock:

I moved some furniture around yesterday... I think I know the source of the problem... I believe I accidentally blocked the chiller air inlet (or having my cabinet too close it)... will immediately rectify the problem tomorrow morning :erm:

Will post another graph 2 days later... sorry for the confusion :bow::bow::bow:

• SRC Member

What if the source of heat is from the chiller itself? If your office can't dissipate the heat effectively, the chiller might be using the same warm air that is still available when your office is closed for business. Possible theory?

What if the source of heat is from the chiller itself? If your office  can't dissipate the heat effectively, the chiller might be using the same warm air that is still available when your office is closed for business. Possible theory?

Yes very possible... the blockage is the main source... will add a fan tomorrow (connect to the chiller) so that they kick-in together... use the fan to circulate the air surrounding the chiller... will definitely help :nc:

Installing an exhaust fan is the best... but there is not window nearby :cry: I might explore relocating the chiller too :erm:

A reefer will come over my office during lunch time tomorrow... need an extra brain to figure things :heh::heh::heh:

How about some GRADE A skimmate :lol::lol::lol:

post-34-1176134925.jpg

• SRC Member

u can try shifting the furniture around a bit, but from the way i read the graph, your chiller is taking 4.5 hours to bring down e temp by 1 degree, kicking in at 2030 hours, which is after your office is closed. i have to assume that the aircon is off too. hence e surrounding air temperature is higher, and it takes a much longer time to cool down e compressor.

at 9.30am the temp peaks, and the chiller takes 3 hours to chill down e tank. but considering that the lights are on, which should heat up e tank more, the chiller is doing a better jobb chilling in e day. cos i assume (yet again) that the aircon is on, and heat is dissipated from the compressor more effectively, hence lower chilling time.

what i am trying to point out is, that u can install more fans n increase e circulation of e chiller, but then, if the surrounding temp is high, like at night when e aircon is not on, there is pretty much no point. cos e air being thrown around e chiller is still warm air. so it travels at a faster speed, still warm air nontheless.

i suggest relocating the chiller to a spot that you can draw in cool evening air from the OUTSIDE, might be better, but of course daytime might be e problem. or i could suggest ventilating the office, so that air circulation is present, warm around around e tank caused by the chiller will be more effectively exchanged with cooler air elsewhere from e office.

juz a half cent's worth from a person sick of studyin for exams. haha..

(interesting thing to point out that, how come the increase in temp for all 4 cycles are all similar, considering that there is v minimal heat input to the water at night... so shouldnt the gradient for e night cycles be more gentle...? )