Jervis' Full Time Job

jervismun

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i still not clear.

why do we need ammonia while cycling the tank?

for bacteria to grow?

Yes... and thanks bro JC85 for the diagram. Actually the cycle has already completed last 2 days... since my live rock will only be introduced in 2 weeks time... I'm worried all my cultivated bacterias will starve to death (afraid my tank may be too sterile)... therefore I introduce the Green Mussels... hoping their decay flesh will create more Ammonia... keeping my bacterias well fed along the chain... this step is optional actually but I prefer to experiment to keep myself busy :lol:

Hope you don't find my methods too confusing...

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Biobacter is for adding bacteria to the tank...

Well my tank completed its Nitrogen Cycle within 3 weeks (without live rock)... I guess it works :unsure: But I also added some Live Sand to the substrate and DSB :heh:

Thanks , and for the place of that bacterial origin? Which lfs :yeah:

Thanks , and for the place of that bacterial origin? Which lfs :yeah:

Origin of my bacteria? Emm... there are 3 sources:

1) AquaMedic Biobacter – thanks to bro Lyz77

2) Nature's Ocean Live Substrate – AM

3) Nature's Ocean Live Sand – AM

And here's a shot of my beautiful Green Mussels... apparently rotting its flesh away :sick:

Ammonia up a bit to 0.25ppm this morning :)

post-34-1160653088.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

And my Bubble Master loves the rotting mussels :lol:

post-34-1160653180.jpg

Origin of my bacteria? Emm... there are 3 sources:

1) AquaMedic Biobacter – thanks to bro Lyz77

2) Nature's Ocean Live Substrate – AM

3) Nature's Ocean Live Sand – AM

Great thanks :thanks: , thought i was able to purchase it from loacl lfs, the bio-bacteria

Great thanks :thanks: , thought i was able to purchase it from loacl lfs, the bio-bacteria

Oh I'm sure Aqua Mart carries it... but there are a lot of other brands in the market... Aquapharm Bact Starter is good and much easier to use :)

A high-tech update...

th_Skimmate1.jpg

Movie taken this morning, the BM running out of stuff to skim and the Green Mussels are in "heaven" :sick:

Enjoy!

haha good 1..

DAMN! u are addicted to the video thingy! :P

Yes I am... now here's something can't show in pix :lol:

th_MOV07676.jpg

Temporarily added a stocking over the Bubble Master's outlet... to reduce noise and to avoid splashing (not so much micro bubble problem as I have a counter bubble in my sump)... you guys see the splashes on the side of the sump? Haha... splash no more :D

Will try to find a more permanent (looking) solution...

post-34-1161054089.jpg

And here come my Tunzes... nothing to shout about... all from my home tank :lol: Will try to connect at least the 6060 today :)

post-34-1161055017.jpg

oh my! w/o the video, i wouldnt know the power of the bubble master.

wow! the micro bubble moving so fast in the skimmer.

Yes bro Godzilla... it is quite a sight :eyebrow:

I removed my rotten Green Mussels from the sump as the Ammonia spike is sufficient to cause another round of Nitrogen Cycle. Wow... if only my radio could record SMELL :sick::sick::sick:

Enjoy :lol:

th_MOV07691.jpg

:D hee hee.. I like video than photos :lol:

Yeah... it is so much more fun to shoot also... no need to explain much and reefers will get the picture :lol:

Nice surface rippling... introduced a Tunze Stream 6060 yesterday... recycled from home :)

post-34-1161135355.jpg

More on Bubble Master...

th_MOV07735.jpg