dKH at 16

I believe so... try to bring it down to 12dkH, not more than 2dkH daily recommended.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

hi there bro waner,

theoretically, alk levels at 16dkh shouldn't exist, because its oversaturated, and has an immense propensity to precipitate. with normal levels of calcium (say 400ppm), once alk exceeds 14dkh, calcium carbonate and aragonite should begin to precipitate and cause a natural lowering of alkalinity.

could you kindly tell us your calcium levels? the high alk could be an indication of extremely low or biologically unable calcium, because calcifying corals consume both alk and ca in a specified proportion, and cannot build its calcium skeleton without either, so in case where calcium is very low and corals are unable to obtain calcium, alkalinity will remain high, with every additional alk supplementation raising alk levels further.

alternatively, you can try testing with a different test kit just to ensure your readings are right ya.

cheers bro, and hope you work our your alk issues,

ian

• SRC Member

hi iontoh

my calcium measurement is way too low , only 300 no matter how

hard i try to add the additive. i tried to add everyday but it doesnt raise

at all. i used both tropin marine bio-caocium 4 level spoon n aquapharm two-part A

8 caps. my tank is 3x2x2 with sump 2x1.5x1.

magnesium reading is at 1400.

• SRC Member

Bro WaNer;

It is prefered to use Calcium and Carbonate hardness of the same brand to avoid the problem of ions imbalance. Now that u have solve the problem, you still need to monitor a pattern of not causing the imbalance.

I ran into this problem bcos of different brand and I stupidly follow the different set of dosing instruction as per the bottle not knowing that concentration may be different.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member
I'm using tropin marine bio-calcium to raise my calcium. I notice that bio-calcium not only raise Ca, it also raise kH. Or am I the only one who experienced this? :rolleyes:

sure didnt, calcium alway low for me :pinch: ,kh usually stay around 12, but last week suddenly shoot up to 16, had a shock. maybe due to tropic marine bio-calcium? i added 4 level spoon almost everyday last week :sick: .

I'm using tropin marine bio-calcium to raise my calcium. I notice that bio-calcium not only raise Ca, it also raise kH. Or am I the only one who experienced this? :rolleyes:

You are not alone :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

maybe due to tropic marine bio-calcium? i added 4 level spoon almost everyday last week :sick: .

Yes that is a very possible cause... mine shot up to 14dkH when I first used the product :erm:

• SRC Member

Yes that is a very possible cause... mine shot up to 14dkH when I first used the product :erm:

:lol: same same..

Initially I only did a Ca test and happily add bio-cal thinking it only raise Ca, until one day I decide to check the kH and got shock :o

I believe the reason for Tropic Marin to raise kH at the same time is because reef tanks deplete Ca as well as kH along with other trace elements. :)

:lol: same same..

Initially I only did a Ca test and happily add bio-cal thinking it only raise Ca, until one day I decide to check the kH and got shock :o

I believe the reason for Tropic Marin to raise kH at the same time is because reef tanks deplete Ca as well as kH along with other trace elements. :)

Yupe... something like that :lol: I believe is your kH is very low... no matter how much Ca you dose... it will not rise :huh:

• SRC Member

Yupe... something like that :lol: I believe is your kH is very low... no matter how much Ca you dose... it will not rise :huh:

My kH is about 7-8 dkh and Ca about 340 ppm initially. It raise to an uncomfortable level (10dkh) and I had to turn off the CR for a few days and let the kH drop slowly by itself ;)

• SRC Member

alvin, i m not too such whether it is difficult to raise ca, ph and mg with high kh. i know that kh and ph somehow relate... with high kh, you will have higher ph value.

if your mg is off range, no matter how you try to correct your ca and kh, they will always off range unless you correct your mg value :)

age.png

• SRC Member
hi iontoh

just took the measurement

dkh now at 13 liao, cal 400 liao , mag at 1260

phew

:thanks:  :thanks:

hi, what test kit are you using to measure your ca, kh and mg? is it new test kit? it seem that your kh drop from 16 to 13 and mg from 1400 - 1260, all within a day. that is too much of the drop. even with my full sps tank, mg wouldn't drop that fast rate :) something is not right from your measurement. or you took the measurement from many days apart? :)

age.png

• SRC Member
By the way, I thought it is more difficult to raise water parameter such as pH, Ca, Mg with high kH? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

It is not difficult to raise. Can be done quite easily. If alk is toohigh, the all the 'spare' space will be alloted to carbonate ions. Its is the nature of seawater to balance them to equilibrium. i.e. Ca = 400, dKH at 7, Mg at 1350 and pH to 8.2.

pH values are mostly due to CO2 levels, in water as well as the surrounding air. A high alk prevents the volatile swing(buffers), but it won't prevent pH from going where it wants to eventually.

Now if you're getting consistently high kh relative to Ca, then its attributed to your dosing regime and your tank's unique consumption of these ions. I believe it would be better for you to set aside the balance TMCa additive and use a two part one for better control.

• SRC Member

hi, what test kit are you using to measure your ca, kh and mg? is it new test kit? it seem that your kh drop from 16 to 13 and mg from 1400 - 1260, all within a day. that is too much of the drop. even with my full sps tank, mg wouldn't drop that fast rate :) something is not right from your measurement. or you took the measurement from many days apart? :)

the test was done a week apart not a day, pH at 8.3-8.6

cal n mg using Sera, pH using tetra

yes they are new test kits, bought in July 29th

• SRC Member
Now if you're getting consistently high kh relative to Ca, then its attributed to your dosing regime and your tank's unique consumption of these ions. I believe it would be better for you to set aside the balance TMCa additive and use a two part one for better control.

yeah im using aquapharm Aand B and tropic marine bio-cal.

i've since stop adding part B but am still using dosing part A n adding bio-cal.