Coraline algae on LR during cycle

Hi fellow seniors

Had started cycling a new 3 ft tank with 6 kg of LR (I know too little but intent to add on later bit by bit) for a week, bit of worry that the coraline algae might bleach off during the initial cycling.

Had tested the PH to be 8.0 and ammonia to 0.03mg/l, not tested for any other water parameters. Heard that calcium are needed for coraline algae to grow, would it be necessary to top in some additives to prevent any loss on coraline algae. Also is it necessary to place a cocktail shrimp to help kick off the cycle.

:thanks:

post-6-1066128464.jpg

Sure got die offs from ur LRs for cycling. Some of the coraline will die too.

No need to put the shrimp n any additives. :D

If you use uncured liverock, your cycle will be kickstarted once there is sufficient ammonia.

If not a shrimp left to rot should provide that souce of ammonia.

To preserve your coralline algae... turn water circulation up and also try to maintain stable PH, calc and alk levels.... but most people don't worry about these as coralline algae will return eventually... but most importantly, set up your system right and test your parameters until everything is over.

Don't stock up till the cycle is complete.

Only bad things happen fast in this hobby, always remember that!

No harm.... as it may keep some of the coralline algae (light reliant species) and any other living photosynthetic creatures to survive.

Some people do not switch on their lights to prevent nuisance algae and bacteria from taking advantage of the heavy overload of dissolved nutrients in the water during the cycle to bloom and overwhelm the LR.

But usually, it's a futile exercise as immature tanks will still undergo such algae cycles during the months leading to a matured filtration system (around the 1 year mark).