Aqualight MH (Mini vs Mega)

lyz77

• SRC Member

I have the intention of changing my current lighting fixture as having a single 400W MH does not seems to provide a good coverage for my 3ft cube tank especially I'm planning for 70%SPS and 30%LPS.

I have stream down to the model that I may be getting but still open to any ideas/ suggestion.

HQI-MEGA-D 250W+400W

429_HQI-mega-refl.jpg

HQI-Mini900 2x250W + 1x150W

949_HQI-Mini-900o.jpg

Kindly provide me with your comment/ suggestion! :thanks:

Personally, I'm not too sure about the MINI for a cube tank. The throw will not be complete... what fixture and bulb are you currently using? Do bear in mind the amount of energy the lighting consumes = heat generation = chiller burden :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
Why not just lift up your 400W higher to provide more coverage?

Thought of that too but solving one problem will created another!!! Higher height will hv better coverage but the light penetration will be weaker! ;)

• SRC Member
Personally, I'm not too sure about the MINI for a cube tank. The throw will not be complete... what fixture and bulb are you currently using? Do bear in mind the amount of energy the lighting consumes = heat generation = chiller burden :)

Yap! Hving more MH will result in higher power comsumption which means higher electrical bills!!! :cry:

As for the chiller, I think it's a yes and no cos with and without my MH, there isn't much diff in the kick-in time which I think it's partially due to the height of my MH ( ard 1 ft abt water surface)! ;)

Feels like a nvr ending story as it will be a big loss if I upgrade my lighting fixture now taking into acc the initial $ I spend on it!!! :(

What about adding T5 to balance (Aquablue Spezial)... a lot of huge tanks use both MH and T5 to achieve even illumination. They complete each other :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
What about adding T5 to balance (Aquablue Spezial)... a lot of huge tanks use both MH and T5 to achieve even illumination. They complete each other :)

Yes! For sure will add in at least 4 T5 tube to balance the lighting effect! :) Another reason for changing to MH is oso to use 3ft T5 instead of the current 2ft length due to the lousy design of my lighting fixture!!! :pinch:

Can add moonlight also :)