MY NEW SKIMMER

cmswong

• SRC Member
Hi Brother,

First of all I would like to share that. AT setup this forum is to allow members to share, cultivate and encourage for more members to enhanced their hobby. I think nobody here to stop us from ' designing' or make for self used. Edmund don't own the patent right. Your objective is to share with members on your ideas to spent less on marine hobby. Moreover, you do not have the intention to sell. I personally feel that marine equipments price in Singapore is extremely expensive compare if you buy one in USA or Germany. So is a good news hearing members here to make and share their stuffs. I believe AT agree on this. :thanks:

Sorry Powder Blue that I have to object.

Have you ever been to US or Germany and compared the prices?

If you do, you will find that most items are even cheaper in Singapore then in the countries they are produced. Even if the distributor has to pay the expensive shipping to Singapore (result = small margins...).

To be honest I'm a bit disturbed with the cheap cheap attitude this forum advertises.

Most fellow Singapore reefers give priority to cheap items never mind the trouble they go through, guarantee problems they might have at the end, time they have to invest or bad support they get at the end. CHEAP RULES.

How many of us have invested in cheap equipment or animals, maybe to save 20S$, just to realize at the end that the product we bought can not live up to the expectations we have in it or dies after a few days due to they way it was caught – the cheap way??? At the end we lost everything, instead of only 20 bugs.

I have learned from my mistakes (buy a cheap tank and don't be angry if your living room is flooded after 5 weeks).

Besides that, Singapore is a very small market. You can count the shops that sell marine equipment on you two hands. Even the sell of one skimmer will help this shop and the distributor behind it to justify future investment in new equipment and help them to support us in our hobby. Imagine the impact a DIY campaign (10 DIY skimmers for sale) can have on them! At the end we shall not be surprised if items we urgently need (skimmer broken, pump defect..) can only be ordered on request (what :o 6 weeks…….) – as it is with many items already today the case….

Please don't understand me wrong: I LOVE DIY and many of the items I use are DIY but sometimes we should think if the trouble we go through justifies the small savings we have and the impact is has on the local aquarium industry..........

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

cmswong you've done a great DIY job! The results looks really good. I've been toying around with the same idea as you for over 6 months now but never got down to it. Keep it up! ;)

Acrylic Aquarium Filtering Systems

Acrylic tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, overflow box, refugium, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors and many more...

Our New Address:

Blk 9003, Tampines St. 93,

Tampines Industrial Park A,

#03-134, Singapore 528837

(Located behind Tampines SAFRA)

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

Email me : info@iaquatic.com

*Please do not send PM's to us. Thank you