Tangs That Are Paid Less Attention To

• SRC Member

I've started to look for different tangs besides the usual ones we know and although dull in coloration as juveniles , we never pay attention to these beautiful "other" tangs that mature with distinctive coloration. I found this specimen unrecognised and was in poor health at one of the farms and it was really cheap. ;) I did some research and found what the adult looks like which was really beautiful. :D You're looking at Acanthurus Blochii ;)

post-8-1066099498.jpg

Hi Acanthurus pyroferus

The fish in the pic is not Acanthurus Blochii but a Acanthurus xanthopterus.

Kept 1 before.....grow from 2" to 1.5' within a 4 years.

A fish with very big appetite. The colours you have now is what you going to get as it grow. It turn darker and have mottle marking on the body when it get excited.

• SRC Member
Hi Acanthurus pyroferus

The fish in the pic is not Acanthurus Blochii but a Acanthurus xanthopterus.

Kept 1 before.....grow from 2" to 1.5' within a 4 years.

A fish with very big appetite. The colours you have now is what you going to get as it grow. It turn darker and have mottle marking on the body when it get excited.

Hi Morgan , theres so many varieties of these surgeons that all the possible close markings seem confusing. They also call it the Yellow Fin :huh: Some pics show the Blochii with the same markings for the juvenile.....I am confused now! :lol: They say that the Hawaiian variety has different markings.

post-8-1066108142.jpg

There too many species :D and not all are colourful. They don't change their colours or pattern much as they grow like angels. Some even lost their brillant colours as they age like chevron.

I prefer those with striking colours now.

There too many species :D and not all are colourful. They don't change their colours or pattern much as they grow like angels. Some even lost their brillant colours as they age like chevron.

hey i love the adult colour of chevron

Just like my chocolate mimic tang!

When it's a juvenile, it's so different from its adult colouration! I just love its colours... esp. the orange rimmed sickle-shaped tail! :)

• SRC Member

I think these tangs and surgeons we tend to forget are colorful enough as Acanthurus dussumieri below is quite striking! :D

post-8-1066112391.jpg

• SRC Member
ooh..... i juz saw many from Reb@@n yesterday didn't realise what tangs were they.

Usually these fishes are ignored but some of them turn out really striking! ;) Acanthurus Dussumieri would be a good choice! :D There are still a few other worth checking out." It's like a box of chocolate , you never know what you might get in one!" :lol: I actually bought the largest species of tang , Acanthurus Xanthopterus aka "The Yellow Fin Surgeon" yikes! :o Anybody wants one?!

post-8-1066182159.jpg