Ice Probe Eheim Combo

johntanjm

• SRC Member

I have an old eheim 2222. I was thinking if I can remove all the trays inside, cut through the 2222's acrylic walls and install an ice probe there. Since there are 4 sides to the 2222, means i can effectively cut 4 holes and have 4 ice probes installed. I will then rely on the 2222's pump mechanism to circulate water around the tank.

You guys think it'd be a workable idea? Anybody knows how to bore a hole in acrylic? I should think this would be quite a space saver design.

Oh yes, anybody intending to sell their ice probe let me know too!

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

• SRC Member

For the price you'll have to pay for 4 iceprobes plus ur Eheim, ur better off just buying a chiller buddy.... :P

It's a workable idea....just not the most cost efficient one.... ;)

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

no lar, considering that i have a 2X1.5X1 tank, and the eheim 2222 has been with me for a long long time. if i can get a second hand ice probe, that would work pretty well i guess. any idea how to drill acrylic?

I have an old eheim 2222. I was thinking if I can remove all the trays inside, cut through the 2222's acrylic walls and install an ice probe there. Since there are 4 sides to the 2222, means i can effectively cut 4 holes and have 4 ice probes installed. I will then rely on the 2222's pump mechanism to circulate water around the tank.

You guys think it'd be a workable idea? Anybody knows how to bore a hole in acrylic? I should think this would be quite a space saver design.

Oh yes, anybody intending to sell their ice probe let me know too!

Bro....

Is a big waste to cut off your Eheim 2222....

You intend to keep marine of freshwater ?

Your tank 2 x 1.5 x 1ft , what temp is you aimming ?

Do you know by using 4 x Micro-chiller (ice-probe) Price is higher than buying a chiller , how many electric bill cost ?

If you really wanna cut your Eheim cannister, i can help you ( FOC )

• SRC Member
no lar, considering that i have a 2X1.5X1 tank, and the eheim 2222 has been with me for a long long time. if i can get a second hand ice probe, that would work pretty well i guess. any idea how to drill acrylic?

Second hand iceprobe = $100 x 4 = $400

That's way too much to be spending on a chiller to chill down your 2 ft tank...and mind you, one iceprobe definately won't be able to chill down your tank volume.

Plus you are forgetting another problem, you will need to make sure you get an ice probe with a temperature controller if not, the iceprobe will be running 24/7 which'll definately affect your electricity bill...plus doesn't offer you the ability to maintain a stable temperature as the unit won't cut in and cut out at desired temperature.

Basically what i'm trying to say is, tho a very noble idea...and trust me, i've already went through the same phase you did when i had my nano....but the fact of the matter is, it's just not worth it, you are better off either buying a second hand Resun for under 200 dollars or buying a brand new chiller for under 400.

Sorry....don't mean to burst your bubble buddy....unless u just merely like to DIY for the fun of it, this is not the solution to your heat issues :)

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member
Hmm, maybe you could get a cheap tank to act as a sump and place the 4 iceprobe in it. Use the 2222 as a return pump with some carbon and po4 removal media in it. Just a suggestion. :)

U cant just place ice probes into a tank...the tank has to either be drilled to insert only the ceramic portion of the iceprobe or find another way to only submerge the ceramic portion in the water. The entire unit cannot by any means be fully submerged. The other problem then is to ensure that you have sufficient water flow (not too high or too low) to give the probe time to chill the water that passes through it.

Plus, if you add a sump, it adds to the water volume and greatly reduces the ability of the iceprobe to chill the tank.

Please don't get me wrong guys..am not against the iceprobe at all...just trying to educate ya'll on it's uses. It' really isn't meant to be used for tanks larger than 15 gallons IMHO....

Also the problem here in Singapore is that ppl tend to associate nanos with 2 ft tanks and these tanks vary greatly from standard 16 gallons (2x1x1) to big ###### 60 gallon cubes (2x2x2) and the iceprobe is really only good for much smaller tanks like perhaps the 12 gallon JBJ Cube or other similar sized tanks.

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

Hey guys, thanks for your advices, hahaha! I will defintely think twice about this. You are right, can get a second hand chiller at the same price i'm going to pay for even just 2 ice probes.

Haiz, now is the hunt for the second hand chiller. If lets say i have a CL85, can i use the eheim2222 to power it? eheim has been with me since my freshwater days years back, and I got no heart to throw it away.

• SRC Member

What's the flow rate on the eheim...if it's around 600 to under a thousand litres an hour then it should be possible. But don't quote me on this...will need to check the flow rate of the CL85 which i suspect should be around 600.... ;)

southpaw23's reef