contingency plan for a long vacation....

• SRC Member

Hi,

I have a 2ft-10g (way-overstocked) :whistle nano tank that's been up for almost 3 months (only) :whistle ... we'll be going on a vaction for 3 weeks in december... this is currently my plan (with some questions) :) i don't know if who amongst my LS will be there in december, but if ever they all survive that long, i would really want to keep them alive longer...

i'm planning to do a dry run in the coming weeks just to see where things might go wrong...

1) Timers - mainly for lights and powerhead (i don't want to keep it on all the time)

2) Auto Feeder - timed for 2-3 feedings a day (on pellets)...

3) Auto Water Top-up device - this one is still being (re)considered.

my equipment:

Eheim Classic 2215 - bio filter (chipped corals), poly filter, sponge filter, carbon, PO4 remover

Red Sea Prizm Skimmer (Deluxe) - media cartridge filled with seachem denitrator

Light - 2 x 15K T5 lights + 1 T5 actinic

UV light (9W)

CL-85 chiller

my LS

1 - clown

1 - BT

1 - royal gamma

1 - randall gobby

1 - purple gobby

1 - coral beauty (my biggest fish, 1.5")

1 - batfish (that's growing very fast)

1 - yellow sebae anemone

1 - red-colored anemone (dunno the exact name yet)

2 - cleaner shrimps

2 - small snails (the shells resemble a hermit crab, got it from Marine Life)

1 - blue-legged hermit crab

1 - red (or red-orange) star fish

4 - tube worms

1 - clam (attached to a rock)

3 - corals (sun coral, and 2 green corals that looks flat on the rock but actually extends 10x their 'sleeping' size during daytime)

I'm really worried about my 2 anemones and clam...if they die (during that 3 weeks), I'm sure my entire tank will follow... i don't know if they'll survive on those 5-in-1 coral food... i'm planning to use some sort of a drip (which i haven't found) to feed them daily...

please do share some tips...

by the way, i'm almost certain that i'll upgrade my tank when we come back in january...

thanks,

zurc

hi zurc,

3 weeks without anyone to look after is way too risky.

yes the anemones are time bomb.

u can put up for adoption or sale b4 u leave .

maybe u can do a 50% water change 2 days b4 u leave .

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

Can post a tank pic?. Do you have a sump running? Thats quite a lot of nice fish you have and yes 3 weeks is a long time to leave things all automated. It takes one fish to die in your absence and it could avalanche...

Stop buying any LS from now (I know it sounds sad)... prior to your holiday (2 weeks before) give away (or sell) your Anemones and those LS you think you will not be transferring to your new tank. Lesser bioload will definitely do your system good, esp. the skimmer. Don't think your collection cup can collect 3 weeks worth of skimmate. If it ever overflow... disaster!!! Try dry skimming also (by adjusting air intake).

Don't put main pump on timer, reduce water circulation can be a bad thing.

I am also worried about your water level. Make sure all your equipments are not water level sensitive or else disaster again.

You know what I suggest? If you are going to custom your new tank from a LFS, then order your tank 2 weeks from your holiday. Pay them deposit. Tell them you need to decom your 2ft and put your LS and LR with them for the 3 week. Once the tank is ready (cycling), then you slowly transfer back your LS to your new tank. I don't think all LFS is willing to do that, you may need to shop around.

If you want, I can help you to ask around also... coz it's good to know who are the good LFS.

I am going for a 3 week holiday in December also... now doing some planning too.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

You will definitely have water evaporation issue :(

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

will the JBJ auto top-off system work on my small tank?

Oh yes... a top-up system is definitely a good investment... you can use it for your future tank also. I think some bro selling... check out Tunze also as I find it very reliable. All the best bro... once you settle the water evaporation issue... basically everything else is not major... perhaps a timer feeder. But don't overfeed.

Also try out 3 weeks of skimming without pouring away skimmate, most skimmers cannot last that long. Than you need to experiment with dry skimming for 3 weeks and see how... once your cup overflows... gone!

Maybe try also put your skimmer on timer, so maybe on 12 hours a day... just to avoid overflowing the cup.

• SRC Member

Oh yes... a top-up system is definitely a good investment... you can use it for your future tank also. I think some bro selling... check out Tunze also as I find it very reliable. All the best bro... once you settle the water evaporation issue... basically everything else is not major... perhaps a timer feeder. But don't overfeed.

Also try out 3 weeks of skimming without pouring away skimmate, most skimmers cannot last that long. Than you need to experiment with dry skimming for 3 weeks and see how... once your cup overflows... gone!

Maybe try also put your skimmer on timer, so maybe on 12 hours a day... just to avoid overflowing the cup.

:thanks: for the tips bro! you really gave me lots of ideas to play around with! :) i'll keep you posted through this thread... i'll probably start my test by next week so that i have plenty of time to reset my testing if necessary...:)

:thanks:

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

looks like january came in a little too early... :)

well not by entirely by choice... a colleague gave-up on the hobby... and decided to give me his 2-footer (24"x12"x17.5")... how could i say no??? :D tank was approaching me! :)

well anyway, it came just in time... my other nano tank deteriorated very fast after 1 week of 3x-day feeding... i'll be posting my tank picks in another thread...