Jervis' Office Paradiz

jervismun

just a small suggestion ya- to help you save some costs. :D

you dont really need two FRs, in the sense that the effectiveness of an FR is a factor of the contact time between media and water, so low flow is more crucial in that sense. holding 1000ml of rowa in an FR isnt really advisable as it leeches iron into the system, and iron as we all know is an essential nutrient for algae growth. just using a small pump to run a single FR with 100ml of rowa should last your system at least two months- case in point- scarabs system, where he uses like three tablespoons in a filter bag just placed into the sump.

plus you can mix carbon and rowa together, just that youd need to clear out the carbon monthly, so perhaps using a small amount of both, then just clearing it out monthly could be an option, seeing as calcium has a tendency to precipitate on iron and reduces the efficiency of the ferric oxide over time as well.

cheers,

ian

ps: cant wait to see the review for your ATi skimmer on the new system!

Thanks bro Iantoh

Yes I will follow your advice :D That's a major cost saving not only in reducing the no. of FR, will save tremendously on the media itself. Now I can free up some budget other essentials :thanks:

Yeah, I can't wait to see the Bubble Master in action too... :yeah:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks bro Iantoh

Yes I will follow your advice :D That's a major cost saving not only in reducing the no. of FR, will save tremendously on the media itself. Now I can free up some budget other essentials :thanks:

Yeah, I can't wait to see the Bubble Master in action too... :yeah:

Me too. :idea:

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

Not good... spotted my Chevron nipping my new Pure White Xenia :( I am hoping now the Chevy is just curious... already fed him with his favourite pellets :cry2:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Reef Central's TOTM... really dwarf my new setup... my 4ft tank is even smaller than his refugium (I think) :pinch:

Look at his lighting plan... so damn impressive :D

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-08/totm/index.php

Hehe... the Red Dragon 6,5m3 pump (for return and Reef Flushing System) is already at the tank maker's place... it's actually bulkier and heavier than I thought :lol: It's good to provide the tank maker as much equipments as possible so that they can design the sump accordingly :)

Will get official quote from them next week... hopefully no heart attack :pirate:

Oh dear... electricity charges increased by 3% for this quarter... here's a shot of Singapore Power's website. So if they constantly increase 3% every quarter... that's 12+% a year leh!!!

So, the charges now for running a 50W equipment, 24/7 will costs us $7.50/month.

I have an idea... let me calculate the energy consumption for my office tank ;)

post-34-1154850021.jpg

Let's start with:

PUMPS / POWERHEADS / WAVEMAKERS

Return & Reef Flushing System Pump

• Red Dragon 6,5m3 (65W/H-max: 4.0m) - 24/7

• $9.80/month

Chiller Pump:

• Aquabee UP3000 (45W/H-max: 2.4m) - 24/7

• $6.80/month

FR Pump:

• Aquabee UP1000 (10W) - 24/7

• $1.50/month

Water Top-up Pump:

• Eheim Compact 600 (11W) - Max. 10 min per day

• $0.25/month

ATI Bubble Master Skimmer:

• Eheim 1262 (80W) - 24/7

• $12.00/month

AquaMedic Nitratreductor 1000:

•Circulation Pump 300 l/h (5W) - 24/7

• AquaMedic Dosing Pump SP3000 3 l/h (4.5W) -24/7

• $1.40/month

Wavemakers:

• Tunze Turbelle Stream 6000 x 2 (15Wx2) - 24/7

• $4.50/month

• Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060 (11W) - 12 hours per day

• $0.80/month

TOTAL POWER CONSUMPTION (for this category): $37.00/month :shock:

CHILLER

• Arctica 1/5hp Titanium Chiller (150W) - 8 hours per day

• $7.50/month

LIGHTING

• ATI Powermodul 39W x 4 - 8 hours

• $7.90/month

• ATI Powermodul 39W x 2 - 12 hours

• $5.90/month

• Built-in fans x 3 (aprox. 10W) - 12 hours

• $0.75/month

TOTAL POWER CONSUMPTION (for this category): $22.00/month :pinch:

• SRC Member

bro.. can teach me how you calculate??

wanna calculate the comsumption of my tank....

Ok based on Singapore Power's latest tariff:

$0.2115 for every 1000W per hour

So 1W per hour is $0.0002115

So 1W per month is $0.1512

Say a pump that runs 50W will costs $0.1512 x 50 = $7.56/month :)

So brother... are you shocked by the electricity consumption of your tank?

The reason why I am particularly careful with electricity is becoz this is the only expenses I can't hide from my CFO... coz my CFO takes care of the bills :unsure:

Now, since I am to set up a tank in the office, it is good to know how much the tank will add to the already high electricity bill. So the new tank draws $60 worth of energy each month... and that's a-hell-of-a-lot :pinch:

Thats why u see a lot of ppl owning 4 to 6 footers quiting the hobby every few days mah ... cost and time consuming hobby if u dont calculate all the variables b4 proceeding to start up a sizeable setup.

Agree with you completely... if you look at my setup... I am already running on the best equipments (and lowest wattage) I can afford... still end up $60 for a 4-footer. And do expect tariff to rise average 10% to 15% per annum <_<

Ppl who running setup with MH lagi jialat man in terms of wattage ... also imagine the additives needed monthly  :yeah:

Not to mention those running high power consumption chiller :unsure: 650W for a mid size chiller :shock::shock::shock: Let me calculate... let's say running 8 hours a day... $33.00/month :pirate:

Yours also quite high... 450W :unsure:

• SRC Member

walao i bloody fed up ... i missed the chance to own a convict tang! Grrrrrr ... rarely see any sold yesterday saw one didnt know about it then came back read about it went back to shop its gone!

Heres the info :

Minimum Tank Size: 70 gallons

Care Level: Moderate

Tank Conditions: 72-78°F; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12

Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 8"

Color Form: Silver, White

Temperament: Peaceful

Reef Compatible: Yes

Diet: Herbivore

Compatibility: View Chart

Origin: Tahiti

Family: Acanthuridae

The Convict Tang, also known as the Convict Surgeonfish, has a stunning white to silver body highlighted by six vertical black bars. The peduncle spines (near the tail) are rather small compared to that of other Tangs. A great addition to the reef or fish only aquarium.

post-34-1154879065.jpg

Haha... yes Convict is damn nice bro... it's considered rare in the hobby... have not seen one in a reefers tank before :D Better luck next time... have you come across fancy looking fish at your workplace?

Yah lots of fishes at my workplace of cos but fish inside tank already cannot catch dont say open sea LOL .. i plan to make some kind of fish trap soon lah see wat i can catch.

I so envy you bro... your workplace is so much better than my workplace with a reef tank... too bad I can't come over and help you catch fish... or else surely damn fun :lol:

Saw bro Cherm's new tank (delivered today) and I kinda like it... it looks much cleaner than my original design actually... nice :)

Maybe just have to change the laminate to Silver and tadaa... a designer tank :D

Calculated my tank volume (incl. sump) = 150 US Gallons (565 Liters)

That is almost double my Percula 90's volume. Now, running an ATI Bubble Master in my new tank will be like... let me calculate... 5 times overpower... so I expect crystal clear water (maybe don't even need a Denitrator) and SPS to thrive under such pristine water :lol::lol::lol: Dream on... dream :snore::snore::snore:

• SRC Member
Bro Jervis,

with your kind of setup in mind, I dun see why SPS will not thrive in your new tank.  I think its just a slight change in your husbandry routine...  :eyebrow:

You got a point here. Jervis, try lah. :eyebrow:

True... a change in routine and a big courageous step... but the main objective for me setting up this office tank is to transfer all my LS from home... continue keeping them... so that I can decom my home tank (make way for future SPS tank... at home) :lol:

We'll see how, if everything turns out well, I shall add my first piece of SPS within 2 to 3 months :)