Jervis' Office Paradiz

jervismun

• SRC Member

Haha... thanks bro... this little guy is sub-$1000... I think I will have to sacrifice some other equipments already (for the time being) ;)

U gonna plan and be firm on your decision cos it's either u 1 time siong siong or, make it your future upgrade as I believe u won't 1 2 buy & sell at a later stage!!!

Juz my 2 cents.... ;)

So how many return pump will u hv? Internal or external?

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The RD 6.5m3 is confirmed... you are right... knowing me... I might spend $400 on an Eheim and 2 months down the road... the RD will somehow get into the tank :D I am glad I can still make decisions like this at this stage as the design of the tank is still taking shape... luckily I chose to share with you guys or else... will surely turn out to be less exciting (and less well equipped) :lol:

I am still checking with the kind bro if his version is a ext or int... I am happy with either as the heat emission gonna be very low anyway :)

I will just rely on 1 return pump... if I upgrade to a MEGA tank next time... just get another RD 6.5m3 and run both lor :lol:

Now I need to check if I am qualify for the POSB Loan Assist ;) Imagine my application form... Reason for taking up loan: Need to buy a reliable pump for my new fish tank :lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

Haha... thanks bro... this little guy is sub-$1000... I think I will have to sacrifice some other equipments already (for the time being) ;)

Why compromise on your equipment just for a pump? U can call it the heart of your system if you want but a pump is a pump...an eheim 1262 will serve you perfectly fine and for one third to one fourth the price....

Forgive me for saying this but lately i've been noticed a sad trend that ppl tend to go for brand names (and price) over usability. Even if you do have loads of money to spend...spending it wisely is the key. You seem to tend to get hung up over all these branded equipment but hey,at the end of the day, it's the reefer that determines the success of a system....and one definately doesn't need state of the art machinery to have a great system.

One can always argue that this boils down to preference....and i completely agree...if you have lotsa money to blow....then go for it....but in this case, if you're going to have to compromise on equipment for a single pump, it doesn't make economic sense. Even with the other equipment, you could find a balance and not always have to end up with the "branded" ones.....

Of course...the calls up to you i guess....that's just my take on it....

Please don't take it the wrong way...not here to discourage or offend you...just voicing opinions ;)

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

Why compromise on your equipment just for a pump? U can call it the heart of your system if you want but a pump is a pump...an eheim 1262 will serve you perfectly fine and for one third to one fourth the price....

Forgive me for saying this but lately i've been noticed a sad trend that ppl tend to go for brand names (and price) over usability. Even if you do have loads of money to spend...spending it wisely is the key. You seem to tend to get hung up over all these branded equipment but hey,at the end of the day, it's the reefer that determines the success of a system....and one definately doesn't need state of the art machinery to have a great system.

One can always argue that this boils down to preference....and i completely agree...if you have lotsa money to blow....then go for it....but in this case, if you're going to have to compromise on equipment for a single pump, it doesn't make economic sense. Even with the other equipment, you could find a balance and not always have to end up with the "branded" ones.....

Of course...the calls up to you i guess....that's just my take on it....

Please don't take it the wrong way...not here to discourage or offend you...just voicing opinions ;)

Nah you do have a point there bro... I'm not offended... but what you said is also true... in the end of the day... it depends on what the reefers want... as for me... this kinda equipments give me the thrill... and I really enjoy the feeling :)

And no, I will not be discourage by you... you are in fact voicing out a wake-up call "whistle blower" to reefers like me... appreciate that :bow:

Sometimes when we mention things like loan lah... sacrifice lah... CFO lah... starve for 2 months lah... those are just figure-of-speech and I don't suppose you take them literally :lol::lol::lol:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Bro... a pump is a pump... is a pump?

Well... after reading your claim, I did some research just to further support my belief... and here's what I found:

Eheim 1262 Universal Pump (S$269.00)

Specifications

- Pump Output: 3,400 l/h

- Delivery Head: 3.6 m

- Power Consumption: 80 W

- http://www.eheimasiapacific.com/English/universal.htm

Red-Dragon pump 6,5 m³ (around $900)

Specifications

- Pump Output: 6,500 l/h

- Delivery Head: 4.0 m

- Power Consumption: 65 W

- http://english.royal-exclusiv.de/output-cu...dragon-pump.htm

For my tank (with a high capacity protein skimmer) I will need around 10 times the tank volume circulation per hour. So using 1 Eheim 1262 is insufficient. So if I am to use 2 x Eheim 1262, here are my findings:

1) Power consumption: 95W more than Red Dragon (based on current energy rate $15/month more on utility bill)

2) The higher heat emmission will further burden my Arctica 1/5hp which is currently running a low 150W.

3) Waste of space to acommodate 2 pumps (instead of 1)

The price difference between 2 Eheim 1262 and 1 Red Dragon 6,5 m³ is around $360.00... so based on the electricity savings (not incl. savings on chiller), I will be able to break even in 24 months.

Not to mention lower noise emission and the prestige of owning one (of course).

What kind of compromise will you be making? Maybe that will better help in your decision.

Haha... maybe introduce the CR at a slightly later stage lor (1 month later)... since I design the tank to be able to use back almost all my old equipments... I think I really should give this Red Dragon a try :lol: I'm sure till now you guys should more or less know me... if people say it is damn good... it sparks my curiousity... I wanna try it out myself to see if it is damn good... in short "kiasu" :lol:

Guys... I am finalizing the design of my tank with the tank maker tonight... gotto decide on the colour real soon... so have all of you voted?

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...pic=51100&st=15

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

Already given the new colour scheme to my tank maker... :thanks: all the bros/sis that voted for my tank colour scheme... 1/3 of the total votes go to the all silver tank :lol:

Yes my tank is now SILVER!!!

bro i just wanna ask .... where did u get the 10 times water volume thing ? im interested at how tt theory works ...

Oh... did I calculate it wrongly? Well... say the RD 6.5m3 (producing 6500l/h)... after headloss, say 5500l/h... my total water volume (incl. sump) is around 500 liters. So the water will circulate 11 times from the main tank the the sump back to the main tank within an hour... I heard 10 times is quite standard for a healthy reef (especially those running powerful skimmer in the sump)... some reefers go as high as 20 times the water volume per hour.

Do correct me if I am wrong... this is my first setup with sump... still got so much more to learn :bow:

• SRC Member

wah ... u are making super worried ... esp ur discussion at AJ's thread... making think whether i should continue with the 5fter. with this 11 times theory and AJ's equip list... im really not sure if my family can handle the added financial burden ..

wah ... u are making super worried ... esp ur discussion at AJ's thread... making think whether i should continue with the 5fter. with this 11 times theory and AJ's equip list... im really not sure if my family can handle the added financial burden ..

But that's just a guide for the "advanced" reefing lah... although some of us will tend to follow... don't think it is an absolute must... but getting a slightly overpower skimmer is definitely necessary (regardless of brand... but the chances of less superior brands over-rate their performance are much higher)...

For example, Skimmer A claims up to 1000L. Take it as 750L (I think 25% is quite realistic). If you running a 900L and go for Skimmer A... surely not desirable. That's why I will go for a larger skimmer to be on the safe side :lol:

In a setup, (to me) the most important 3 equipments are:

1) Return Pump

2) Protein Skimmer

3) Lighting

These 3 items cannot play-play :o

• SRC Member

But that's just a guide for the "advanced" reefing lah... although some of us will tend to follow... don't think it is an absolute must... but getting a slightly overpower skimmer is definitely necessary (regardless of brand... but the chances of less superior brands over-rate their performance are much higher)...

For example, Skimmer A claims up to 1000L. Take it as 750L (I think 25% is quite realistic). If you running a 900L and go for Skimmer A... surely not desirable. That's why I will go for a larger skimmer to be on the safe side :lol:

In a setup, (to me) the most important 3 equipments are:

1) Return Pump

2) Protein Skimmer

3) Lighting

These 3 items cannot play-play :o

icic .. good thing im going FOWLR... only need to worry abt 1 and 2

icic .. good thing im going FOWLR... only need to worry abt 1 and 2

True... have you decided on your lighting? Maybe try not to have it too bright and 10000ºK above to slow down algae growth <_<

Will you still use a chiller for your FOWLR setup?

• SRC Member

lights will come into the picture later so im not bothered by it now ... and no ... no chiller at the moment .. i'll monitor the water temp when the tank is cycling ... if its too absurd .. then i'll get a chiller... btw bro ... who is ur tank maker ? GohTM ?

lights will come into the picture later so im not bothered by it now ... and no ... no chiller at the moment .. i'll monitor the water temp when the tank is cycling ... if its too absurd .. then i'll get a chiller... btw bro ... who is ur tank maker ? GohTM ?

AquaMarin... I get Steve to do the tank for me coz I am very happy with their service the last time when they came to my place to install the ATI Powermodul... and I don't know that many people lah... so very limited choices :lol:

Yaloh... lighting and (possibly) chiller can come in later... do start posting your cycling period... coz I need to learn how to do proper cycling... my last 2 were cheats... using matured LR and matured tank water ;)

CHEH! If compromise means getting your CR 1 month late, really surprised me how long it took you to make that decision :D :D

Hahaha... the RD 6.5m3 is confirmed and final. Already ordered a piece to replace the loan piece once it arrives... got a feeling it will take a while... this RD can use for a very long time... probably... easily... outlast my passion in this hobby... I hope it has a good resale value :lol: ... Imagine... CHEAP SALE: RED DRAGON... in Pasar Malam :lol::lol::lol:

hope u get bored soon! :evil:

I know... but things like RD people seldom sell coz they are reusable in future tanks (most of the time)... unless you are talking about giving up on reefing... well perhaps knitting or stamp collecting is more interesting :)

I intend to create a new tank every 2 years... alternating between home and office... so each tank will have a 4 years lifespan which is about there... let me calculate how many years I've got left... emm... actually not a lot of tanks :cry::cry::cry:

• SRC Member

I know... but things like RD people seldom sell coz they are reusable in future tanks (most of the time)... unless you are talking about giving up on reefing... well perhaps knitting or stamp collecting is more interesting :)

I intend to create a new tank every 2 years... alternating between home and office... so each tank will have a 4 years lifespan which is about there... let me calculate how many years I've got left... emm... actually not a lot of tanks :cry::cry::cry:

Jervis bro, I can't wait 4 u to set up more tanks with different themes and share ur experiences with us. I can't get enuff of ur stories and updates :)

Jervis bro, I can't wait 4 u to set up more tanks with different themes and share ur experiences with us. I can't get enuff of ur stories and updates :)

Hehe... talking about themes... I am now doing some research... I wanna create a true reef with a clear theme as guidance... I am actually looking at creating a Shallow Caribbean Reef for my new tank... and in there... every fishes and corals are from that part of the ocean... no mix-and-match... but LR and sand a bit hard lah... other than that... just have to be patient (cannot buy whatever pleases the eyes) and must pounce once the opportunity comes...

What you guys think? SHALLOW CARRIBEAN REEF... you think worth pursuing? But I might have to sell off most (if not all) of my existing LS... mostly Indo-pacific :cry2:

Found a few interesting BIOTOPES in one of my reefing books:

1) The Beach Zone

2) A Seagrass Aquarium

3) A Reef Gorge Aquarium

4) A Pizza Anemone Aquarium

5) A Rubble Zone Aquarium

6) A Small Cave Aquarium

The Rubble Zone Aquarium seems quite similar to what I want to achieve... according to the author (just extractions):

• between the reef flat and the beach

• shallow area

• coral sand

This is an interesting one:

• the smaller, loose rocks are often turned over and tossed about by waves and currents (now how can I achieve that?)

blah blah blah :lol: