Jervis' Office Paradiz

jervismun

Wow... then how are you going to breakdown the bill? Install a seperate meter? hehehe :lol:

It can be easily calculated... going to be around $55 to $60 a month :unsure:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

since it's office. just get 2X250W MH. CL650.

haha. then pay $50 everymonth.

You must be joking me... let me calculate:

500W MH (8 hours daily) = $25/month

Resun CL650 (650W - 8 hours daily) = $33/month

These 2 items will easily increase my office tank power consumption from $60/month to $100/month and that's a lot of $$$ per annum :ooh:

Actually... I am wondering... how many reefers actually calculate their tank power consumption? I got a feeling a lot of reefers don't really care... or afraid to find out the truth :erm:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

R u refering to me!!! :P

I think it all boils down to planning and the type of setup you want! If u r going for SPS, than lighting is inevitable! Who knows down the road, I may give up this hobby too due to high maintenance cost! ;)

R u refering to me!!! :P

I think it all boils down to planning and the type of setup you want! If u r going for SPS, than lighting is inevitable! Who knows down the road, I may give up this hobby too due to high maintenance cost! ;)

Hehe... not only you lah... but your chiller is a real killer :o

Yeah I may consider switching to MH later on... but the general rule of flooding the tank with 3 x 250W MH somehow doesn't appeal to me... power consumption is too high.

As mentioned before, utility bill is something I can't hide from my CFO (now my business partners) and must be sensible in handling it. $120/month on electricity is insane (IMO) as it is an ongoing reliability that adds up to $2400/annum :shock: I think this issue has been downplayed too much. Also, be mindful of Singapore Power increment of average 12% per year :unsure:

Yes bro Lyz77, a lof of reefers gave up large tanks due to the maintenance costs and energy being a major one. That's where you CFO will keep nagging and nagging ;) Just like our parents nagging about high telephone bills while we were young :lol:

$120/month on electricity is insane (IMO) as it is an ongoing reliability that adds up to $2400/annum :shock:

Sorry wrong calculation... only $1440/annum... morning coffee has not kick-in yet :lol:

Latest update...

May consider trying out SOLARIS for this new tank... will do more research on this product as it is very very new in the market... US Technology :unsure:

Most importantly to me... heat emission and power consumption :nc:

Let the POWER SHINE.......

Thanks bro for the grand introduction... already checked, for a 4ft fixture... 300W of LEDs (100 pieces x 3W) :shock: Running 4 cooling fans... end up consuming about the same power as 6 x 54W T5 :unsure:

And in order to get the best out of the built-in computer programming... the unit gotto run 24 hours a day :(

jervis, dun jump into sps so early. Cuz sps can mean a lot of things such as higher maintenance, as little fishes as possible in ur tank.

will u be considering using a zeovit reactor? Quite a few reefers here have success keeping sps using one, but have to read up on how it works.

You definately need a huge CR to feed the sps. Tunze 6100 x2 is not enuff for the 4 footer. Iwarna's 5 footer sps tank got 6 x tunze and wavebox!!!! :lol:

In the long run, u will realise its a lot more expensive than keeping lps or fishes, but its probably more rewarding.

As for the lightings, minimum is 150 watt x 2, supplement with t5 tubes. :)

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

jervis, dun jump into sps so early. Cuz sps can mean a lot of things such as higher maintenance, as little fishes as possible in ur tank.

will u be considering using a zeovit reactor? Quite a few reefers here have success keeping sps using one, but have to read up on how it works.

You definately need a huge CR to feed the sps. Tunze 6100 x2 is not enuff for the 4 footer. Iwarna's 5 footer sps tank got 6 x tunze and wavebox!!!! :lol:

In the long run, u will realise its a lot more expensive than keeping lps or fishes, but its probably more rewarding.

As for the lightings, minimum is 150 watt x 2, supplement with t5 tubes. :)

Bro AJ, thanks for the concern, perhaps I am jumping into SPS too early since I am relatively new in the hobby. However, I think this is the right time to start planning for it (not at later stage).

Some of the issues highlighted:

1) Yes higher maintenance is expected (I think I'm ready for it) and yes small amount of fishes, that's why I wanna retain my home tank for FOWLR.

2) Yes, I read a lot about Zeovit. I will be using the Polyp Lab System Re-resh™ (claimed to be similar to Zeovit), since I have almost half left (4 bottles in a set), will continue to use it.

3) Yes a CR will come in as part of the new setup, may not be HUGE, but quite sizable for a 150 Gal setup.

4) I only have 2 x 6000, so will look into upgrading in the future. As both my 6000 were in fact 6100 with stepped down transformer, getting back to 6100 will not cost too much. Perhaps add a 6080.

5) Yes, SPS is more challenging and rewarding... and there's hell a lot to learn... :evil:

6) Lighting, will try out the SOLARIS LED lighting, if it is as good as they claim... 100 pieces of high output LEDs can do wonders :)

See... it's not that hard... I've got everything settled... smooth sailing... hahaha but lots of readings, research and help needed from experienced reefers for sure :)

CORRECTION: Can't afford SOLARIS... a 4ft fixture costs $4000 :shock::shock::shock:

hhahaa solaris damn ex sia.. they muz be mad!

They are mad... for once I wish they manufacture the unit in China :lol::lol::lol: But it is the most advanced lighting fixture ever seen... very very sophisticated :unsure:

$4000 ? insane la .... i can buy so many things with tt ready ... i think u DIY the bloody set also less than 1000

True lah... that's the price to pay lor... but this product does have a very high potential... the built in computer is extremely convincing... no other lighting fixture comes close... really. Perhaps SOLARIS will give us a hint of how exciting future reefing can be when ATMAN or SOLITE manage to copy the technology :) I'll give them 3 years... max!

• SRC Member

you know ... i actually have a feeling that us reefers can develop similar products if we pool our resources ...

after all we have designers , engineers, programmers, etc etc... if we had the right sources... we could even develop a solaris within a T5 price range.

i dunno if im breaking any rules by saying all this .. but ya ... i've discussed this with my dad before ..its very possible ... if we somehow managed to pool together .. it wont be a problem.

you know ... i actually have a feeling that us reefers can develop similar products if we pool our resources ...

after all we have designers , engineers, programmers, etc etc... if we had the right sources... we could even develop a solaris within a T5 price range.

i dunno if im breaking any rules by saying all this .. but ya ... i've discussed this with my dad before ..its very possible ... if we somehow managed to pool together .. it wont be a problem.

Actually, I think the only part that may be more complicated is the computer part. Other than that... shouldn't be much of a problem since some reefers already played with LEDs for a while now... oh the SOLARIS comes with a 2 year warranty and the LEDs can last 10 years (as claimed) :P

Whether or not we are breaking rules... we need to check if the product is patented (or patent pending). Which part of it is patented. Which countries. Shouldn't be hard to check if you guys are really keen... but who will fork out $1000 to buy 100 supre bright LEDs for testing? :lol:

• SRC Member

Don't forget that the lifespan for the LEDs are 50,000 hours, if left on at 24 hours a day, that's almost 6 years before replacements are required. But note that not all bulbs will be fired for the whole 24 hour period which effectively makes the lifespan of these units close to 10 years possibly.

Other advancement like the simulation of various color temps from 5k to 22k plus lunar phases makes these lighting set unlike the rest. It really can't be compared to MH with all these other add ons....

As for the price, like any introductory technology, it's understandable that it'll be high...just have to give it sometime. Look at plasma TVs...i remember seeing themg going for 40k way back during it's introduction....look how much cheaper they are now.

End of the day, it looks like exciting times ahead of us with the advent of this new technology...and likely more to come. ;)

As for pooling of our resources together like Jacobus mentioned....unfortunately its not that simple. These products undergo years of research and testing, even if we had the capabilities within, how many of us would want to dedicated our time out of work to work on all these activities?

It's like a job in it's own...and at the end of the day and spending all that time on it....when u can finally come up with a model ur happy with at an affordable price, ask yourself, after all that work, are you really willing to sell it off at cost price or slightly above cost price? Would you not expect compensation for the two years worth of time dedicated into research and testing etc?

Tho i can't justify on their part why the price tag is such, understanding the nature of businesses, there's probably a reason why it's priced that high. It's also called first movers advantage...at the end, if it's really true that they're overpricing, it's only a matter of time before someone comes up with a better cheaper model...

So let's wait and see.... ;)

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

Very well said bro Southpaw... I can still remember I paid $7999 for a Sharp 37" LCD TV slightly more than 2 years ago... now, newer model at $3999 :pinch:

But it also depends on how many of the components SOLARIS manage to get worldwide patent. It is common for patents to last 10 years... so if these guys are smart... we will not be expecting the same lighting with the same concept from another brand within the next 10 years... but on the other hand... don't think they are capable of maintaining a 10 year worldwide patent/s for this product :lol:

I believe one of the reefers here own a set of the solaris. :heh:

maybe can check with him how it works. .

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

jervis, post some pictures of ur ATI Bubble Master leh. . :pinch:

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

Calcium Reactor:

jervis, post some pictures of ur ATI Bubble Master leh. . :pinch:

My ATI BM is still at the LFS, too lazy to collect... let them deliver to my office together with the tank lar :)