Jervis' Office Paradiz

jervismun

Oh they are all very nice... but I will surely avoid SPS :o

Had a discussion with my tank maker this afternoon... find that his proposal is a little too standard especially when it comes to the cabinet part... I want something more unique... so back to the drawing board :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haiz... too much restrictions... firstly space, then the old shophouse (my seat is at the attic actually... so 4 storey up narrow staircases)... also hoping to use back some of my old equipments... dun want to invest on new lightings and chillers... so got to cut down on water volume :(

Ooops :fear: I'm leaking news out already... haha... ok guys might as well... I am decom my Percula 90 in 2 months time (before my Sydney trip)... LELONG LELONG!!! :lol::lol::lol:

See list below :P

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Ok I've decided to go with a rather shallow tank (in terms of height). I'm going to recreate a shallow reef environment (no choice).

I've been looking at the proposed design... it will be impossible for me to dip my entire arm into the water... and I don't want to stand on stools (as I will be wearing working shoes)... sometimes I wear Polo Tee to work (casual days)... sometimes long sleeve with tie... I guess I really need to put all these to considerations or else I will find it very difficult and inconvenient to service it later ;)

So my latest design shows:

Main tank: 48"W x 18"H (water level - actual non-bracing tank is 22" H) x 30"D

Sump: 24"W x 12"H (water level) x 24"W

Total volume: 130 US Gal

Original design volume: 165 US Gal

What you guys think? Will the 18" height makes my tank look like a LFS coral display tank? :lol:

U want open concept view tank or one sided view tank?

3 sided... with the back against the wall... I want to create a strong current, bright, shallow environment... so some of my old corals will have to go... :nc:

Maybe the backdrop can be slightly darker blue (not black) to add a sense of shallowness... will have to do a bit more research on this. What you guys think? Black or blue?

• SRC Member

K first thing u must measure is after deducting the hood thickness when placed on top of tank how much viewing space is left for the eyes, cos if u going for narrow tank u have to consider the hood dimensions otherwise later stack a LR or 2 reach the max viewing height liao then buay swee. Cannot even play SPS if miscalculate.

Anyway from the diamensions of the 4Ft plus cabinet i'd say narrow or not narrow height u choose to make the setup u still need to stand on a chair or small ladder to place corals and rocks below .. maintenaince blah blah blah. Lastly if u going T5 then low height is the way if deeper tank u're gonna need MH which u dont like right? hehe

bro jerv. how long will the sydne trip be? if 1 week no need to decom right? everything in your tank is auto.

the clam... how the tank tahan the weight? i think need a crane to put the clam in.

use iron stand. sure break.

The Sydney trip will be more than 1 week... but the Dec trip will me 3 weeks long ;) So will probably start another mega project beginning of next year... possibly right after CNY 07 :lol:

I heard a 4ft tank (without water) is not going to be too heavy to move up to my attic office, the attic is concrete slabbed, so should be no problem. I will have to build a proper wooden cabinet to support the tank with a 2ft tank beneath it. If 2ft too cramp, I may consider 3ft but that's the max as I intent to fit the chiller inside the cabinet.

Definitely will not use iron stand :lol:

• SRC Member

If you are going for shallow tank, it will be great to do open top tank(no bracing no hood).

You will have an extra nice top view, just like the aqua technique's disply tank.

it will look very elegant, clean,longish and sleek!

My Reefing Mission:-

To manage the waters and lights with efficient resources, disciplined husbandry and prograsive knowledge.

K first thing u must measure is after deducting the hood thickness when placed on top of tank how much viewing space is left for the eyes, cos if u going for narrow tank u have to consider the hood dimensions otherwise later stack a LR or 2 reach the max viewing height liao then buay swee. Cannot even play SPS if miscalculate.

Anyway from the diamensions of the 4Ft plus cabinet i'd say narrow or not narrow height u choose to make the setup u still need to stand on a chair or small ladder to place corals and rocks below .. maintenaince blah blah blah. Lastly if u going T5 then low height is the way if deeper tank u're gonna need MH which u dont like right? hehe

There will not be hood, I'm going topless & braceless... ATI Powermodul haning above... water level is 18" but the actual glass is 22" (so allow 4" to avoid splashing"... it will be based on a shallow reef concept, so there will not be high scaping... relatively low for current and light loving corals to sway left and right. I will pay a lot of attention in wave making... I want to mimic that part of the ocean.

For sure will not go SPS with this tank... will leave that for my next project :lol:

I also want to enjoy the tank from top view, so it can be quite interesting a concept :)

And most probably will not introduce MH as heat is a major concern here... I am trying to use back my Arctica 1/5hp chiller ;) I'm too broke already... perhaps set the temperature to min. 26.5ºC or 27ºC instead since it is shallow waters :)

I'm even taking of making my own wavebox... I've owned one... so I know how it works... probably create a partition (maybe an extention of the overflow box) then hide 1 or 2 streams inside :lol: I am also avoiding any exposed pumps as I want to attempt RBTA again... they are just too pretty :yeah:

• SRC Member

Hi Bro, as mentioned abt the lighting yesterday, after calculation base on your tank length, can house abt 22 tubes!!! :yeah:

But that will be a killing factor and may or may not be feasible!!! ;)

Hi Bro, as mentioned abt the lighting yesterday, after calculation base on your tank length, can house abt 22 tubes!!!  :yeah:

But that will be a killing factor and may or may not be feasible!!!  ;)

Haha... I know been doing some calculations myself... 22 2ft tubes = $800 in changing tubes alone... not mentioning the fixture... so after talking to tank maker, we both agree that the existing ATI Powermodul will do the job fine... I've reduced the tank height from 24" to 18", so that will help compensate as I intend to hang the Powermodul a bit higher from the water surface:

1) Eliminate heat transfer to water surface altogether

2) To achieve a more even illumination as I am using a 3ft T5 fixture over a 4ft tank ;)

3) Allows me to enjoy viewing the tank from the top too since it will be braceless/topless

What u think bro?

• SRC Member

Haha... I know been doing some calculations myself... 22 2ft tubes = $800 in changing tubes alone... not mentioning the fixture... so after talking to tank maker, we both agree that the existing ATI Powermodul will do the job fine... I've reduced the tank height from 24" to 18", so that will help compensate as I intend to hang the Powermodul a bit higher from the water surface:

1) Eliminate heat transfer to water surface altogether

2) To achieve a more even illumination as I am using a 3ft T5 fixture over a 4ft tank ;)

3) Allows me to enjoy viewing the tank from the top too since it will be braceless/topless

What u think bro?

Regardless of the size of the tank, I believe it's a personal preference kind of thing and as long as you like the overall design and setup, then go with it!!! ;)

But of course, u must be prepare of the limitation or rather, how u gonna setup your LR and etc with the given space in your tank!!!

• SRC Member

The new tank specs sounds really good...i like the idea of the topless and braceless tank....and the 2.5 ft depth against the 18 inch height would be great if u can somehow incorporate a valley scape. In fact, while ur still designing, pushing the depth to 3 ft would be even better... :P

Looking from the top is a great idea as well but note that if you're going to do that, try not to have too much current running at the top of the tank that will compromise the view. Not placing the wavemakers too close to the surface will help i believe.

well..good luck with it.... ;)

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

The new tank specs sounds really good...i like the idea of the topless and braceless tank....and the 2.5 ft depth against the 18 inch height would be great if u can somehow incorporate a valley scape. In fact, while ur still designing, pushing the depth to 3 ft would be even better... :P

Looking from the top is a great idea as well but note that if you're going to do that, try not to have too much current running at the top of the tank that will compromise the view. Not placing the wavemakers too close to the surface will help i believe.

well..good luck with it.... ;)

Hi bro... thanks for the encouragements... yeah I kinda like it to be different... want it to look more "customized" :lol:

Yeah valley scaping with even some macroalgae/mangrove grow above water level can be interesting too. May even explore the idea of a high/low tide... let me figure out how to achieve this :lol::lol::lol:

Yes, I will make sure the water surface remain relatively calm (without compromising gas exchange too much)... I usually deactivate my Tunzes during feeding and I think I will enjoy feeding with a top view... :lol:

I am currently exploring on ideas to concealed/hide all my Tunze Streams... I want the tank to be natural looking and 3 Giant Streams doesn't look very natural no matter how much algae grow on them :P

Yes will update you guys more in the coming days... I got a feeling I am getting real close to what I want... really :heh:

Nope can't fit a 3ft depth tank... would love to... but then... I might have to upgrade my chiller right away ;)

Went to JBJlighting.com to check chiller compatibility and I'm very happy with the outcome :lol:

As you can see (attached), the new setup scored only 0.1 point more than Percula 90... thanks to the air-con environment in the office. If what JBJ recommended is correct, I can expect my existing Arctica (1 month old) 1/5hp to run just like before... 1 hour running / 2 hours resting... I think this is acceptable :D

So in terms of electricity consumption... it shouldn't burden my company too much... based on 8 hours per day... shouldn't exceed $10/month as this Arctica only consumes 150W :lol:

post-34-1154315532.jpg

• SRC Member

Unfortunately, you're going with a 3 sided view, else you could have two side overflows and incorporate the tunzes into each overflow which would completely conseal them. 2 tunzes on oposing sides set on a multicontroller would simulate some good waves and flow.

I guess the other alternative is to buy the tunze rock and incorporate it into the rockwork. ;)

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

Haha... MCE600 reserved and 10% deposit collected. I still have a few items to let go... check out my signature :lol:

Unfortunately, you're going with a 3 sided view, else you could have two side overflows and incorporate the tunzes into each overflow which would completely conseal them. 2 tunzes on oposing sides set on a multicontroller would simulate some good waves and flow.

I guess the other alternative is to buy the tunze rock and incorporate it into the rockwork. ;)

I know... I'm thinking of creating my own wavebox... but have to do proper planning and calculation... also might create uneven water level for the overflow box and dangerous for my braceless tank ;)

Yes I love the left-right Stream effect... what I am creating now in my Percula 90... unbeatable :lol:

Bro Acidjazz

Your previous tank was a braceless tank... just want to seek your opinion... 4" of clearance between the edge of glass and water surface sufficient to stop splashing coused by Streams and crazy fishes?

Oh quite nice yeah... Carribean shallow waters... emm... the backdrop is blue... I will search for more source of inspiration and share with you guys :lol:

Courtesy of www.gallery.eism.net

post-34-1154320702.jpg

Great Barrier Reef

Anemone!!! And Skunks are very pretty especially the really pink ones... :lol:

Courtesy of www.gallery.eism.net

post-34-1154321037.jpg

Ok I've decided to go with lighter blue backdrop... seems like all shallow waters are lighter blue in colour :lol:

post-34-1154321321.jpg