Filter Media

marlin

Hi,

Recently, I have been told to get rid of my bio balls, which comprises 50% of the media I use. I was warned they are "nitrate factories". Already 2 months after my tank has been cycled, nitrates has been the most difficult to bring down.

If not Bio balls, ceremic rings?

Could we just list down what we use?

Many thanks! :P

It does not matter if you use bioballs or biorings or coral chips or even LR in your wet/dry filteration system.

These are all excellent for aerobic bacteria to grow on (those that process ammonia to nitrites and nitrites to nitrates) as they have excellent oxygen diffusion all around.... and thus the bacteria can process ammonia & nitrites very quickly to nitrates. Hence the term 'nitrate factories'. :D

For anaerobic bacteria (those that process nitrate to harmless nitrogen gas)... anoxic/anaerobic (very very low amounts of oxygen) conditions must be created.

These can only be naturally created with a plenum or Deep Sandbed (DSB). Or the usage of many large LR where the centre of the rock is dense and large enough to house ample populations of anaerobic bacteria.

Hi AT,

That was a very informative answer, thanks!

Related to this question about aenerobic bacteria and live rock, does weight matter? People seem to be talking about how heavy their rocks are. I would think surface area is more important than weight, to house those bacteria. Which is better, Coral "rock" or Rock "rock"?

Also, does anyone have experience with cultured bacteria in a bottle to boost the bacteria population? How effective is it and what are some brands to look out for?

Appreciate any reply.

• SRC Member
Also, does anyone have experience with cultured bacteria in a bottle to boost the bacteria population?  How effective is it and what are some brands to look out for?

Appreciate any reply.

Tried before, No special effects. :)

Bevor Sie das Licht sehen, müssen Sie sterben!

Also, does anyone have experience with cultured bacteria in a bottle to boost the bacteria population? How effective is it and what are some brands to look out for?

Appreciate any reply.

hi there....

those bacteria in a bottle thing? there are pretty mixed receptions towards it. in fact I'm one of those who experienced a mixed reaction as well...it worked superbly well for my goldfish tank when I needed to jumpstart my BB due to the fact I changed the Overhead Filter to a canister. worked supremely well. three days later all my readings were zero. :P

as for my tetra tank. well. it almost wiped out my lifestock. almost. you could see them half dazed and floating around after adding the BB solution inside. was really scary.

hope the above information helped. :P

hi there....

those bacteria in a bottle thing? there are pretty mixed receptions towards it. in fact I'm one of those who experienced a mixed reaction as well...it worked superbly well for my goldfish tank when I needed to jumpstart my BB due to the fact I changed the Overhead Filter to a canister. worked supremely well. three days later all my readings were zero. :P

as for my tetra tank. well. it almost wiped out my lifestock. almost. you could see them half dazed and floating around after adding the BB solution inside. was really scary.

hope the above information helped. :P

Maybe it's all just a psychological effect. ;)

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Hi AT,

That was a very informative answer, thanks!

Related to this question about aenerobic bacteria and live rock, does weight matter? People seem to be talking about how heavy their rocks are. I would think surface area is more important than weight, to house those bacteria. Which is better, Coral "rock" or Rock "rock"?

There are some rocks which are thin, flat, extremely porous and IMO, more suitable for rockscaping than doubly function as a denitrification media.

Logically bigger denser rocks that are less porous will have much lesser oxygen diffusion to its core... ideal for denitrifying bacteria to grow in this anaerobic/anoxic environment.

Don't get 'rock' rocks... like granite or marble! :rolleyes::lol: