New Tank Stocking

• SRC Member

I got a new 3'X2'X2' tank. It will be a Reef-LPS/Fish tank

I always hear that we need to stock it SLOWLY.

Slow is subjective, how slow is slow?

1 coral/fish a week?

Thanks in advance

My Reefing Mission:-

To manage the waters and lights with efficient resources, disciplined husbandry and prograsive knowledge.

I think most of us cannot "tahan" 1 fish/1 coral a week... how to resist!?! :lol::lol::lol: Furthermore, some fishes you need to buy as a school, or some symbiotic creatures come in pairs... so the rule doesn't have to be as clear cut as that.

IMO before you add anything, you need to be confident with your water conditions (all major water parameters checked)... make sure you have proper cycling (Nitrifying bacteria)... once all checked, I don't see why you can't introduce 2 to 3 fishes a week. You can always start with some hardy species first :lol:

Have fun!

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

i agree with bro jervis.... but i feel for fishes u gotta try 1 species a week ... prevent pocket burning too ... u dun wanna overstock and the fishes die ... money goes to waste ... i used to stock like 4 -5 a week and it was bad .. if u getting schooling fishes like chromis ... it wouldnt be a prob ... but anthias... only when ur confident of your bacterias ability to breakdown the extra bioload ... corals IMO can stock up relatively fast but just make sure the waters alright lor ...

pardon me if im wrong ... still learning as well

• SRC Member

rule of the thumb. go LFS once a week. nvr get more than 2 things at a go. else your tank might not be able to handle all the new introductions to the bioload. when you add corals, corals do produce bio-materials, and that will of course add to your bioload.

of course, unless you got nice nice equipments like bro jervis... :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

of course, unless you got nice nice equipments like bro jervis... :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Hey!!! Don't listen to him Minireef, he is just trying to pull my leg (coz I dislike him) :lol::lol::lol:

But both Jacobus and Colinsoon have some important pointers there... dun waste too much money at this stage and avoid those very expensive fishes.

However, there are reasons for fishes to stay cheap too.

It's all about supply and demand.

For example:

Moorish Idol is one of the hardest and most beautiful fishes to keep. However, due to low demand (coz too many reefers avoid it) you can get one for as low as $8.00.

So do not take price as an indication of it's care level.

Check out this website:

www.Liveaquaria.com

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

just to share, if possible, always to start of with small (size) fish so that any new comer will have a better chance of making it through...

that is how i introduce my three darf angels... start small then add bigger fish and so on...

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

another way to do it is by rotation, week 1 only buy fish, week 2 only buy coral, week 3...

one VERY important thing about new LS is the acclimation process, it is important. learn form ML, i think Henry score full marks for this, we shall all follow his way :)

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member
I got a new 3'X2'X2' tank. It will be a Reef-LPS/Fish tank

I always hear that we need to stock it SLOWLY.

Slow is subjective, how slow is slow?

1 coral/fish a week?

Thanks in advance

as long as u feel confident abt ur water parameters that u tested....u can add fishes n corals anytime u wan....for corals u can add in several at one go...but for fishes...for a 3ft tank maybe a max of 4 per day?.....

take a example lyk yellow n purple tang..its best tt u add both at the same time.... :lol:

in the case of disease being spreaded across.....buy fishes that are quarantine frm LFS...if not u can quarantine urself by having another seperate tank.. :D

ps: take note that there is a limit of number of fishes u can add in ur tank..do not overcrowd...

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member

one thing i dont understand ... is why is the cycling process so long ? bacteria multiply very quickly and their numbers shoot up by the millions(even billions) in a matter of hours ... so why would it take so long ?

another word of advice

3 - 4 ft tanks arent for MIs ... for them to be really happy .. at least 5ft .. IMO la ...

please dun be tempted ... u'll be very sad in the end ...

• SRC Member
one thing i dont understand ... is why is the cycling process so long ? bacteria multiply very quickly and their numbers shoot up by the millions(even billions) in a matter of hours ... so why would it take so long ?

another word of advice

3 - 4 ft tanks arent for MIs ... for them to be really happy .. at least 5ft .. IMO la ...

please dun be tempted ... u'll be very sad in the end ...

when the liverocks are transported frm a place to another place..lots of bacteria are dead by then.....plus....the LRs are added into the tank.....with completely new water conditions, the live inside the LR will get shock....so it needs some time to be stable...

after a few daes bacteria will start to multiply w/o the lights on....oh ya...nitrifying bacteria helps to speed up the cycling process too...

n plus a few daes to get the water parameters rite bro....

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

Hehe... see you get so many tips in a day... all the best to you bro... but before buying LS, check your water parameters first, ok?

Also, you can start a tank thread at the Members section to share your progress with us (and to inspire new comers)... we can be more easily support you over there.

• SRC Member

Wow, I'm impressed by the generous contributions.

1. Any brand of nutrifying bacteria to recommend?

2. When we travel 3-5 days, what are the stuffs we must prepare and watch out for?

3. Is there any neat calcium reactor to recommend(co2+CR in a set with build in pump)

4. Other than skimmer, what is important?

Thanks a million again

Wow, I'm impressed by the generous contributions.

1. Any brand of nutrifying bacteria to recommend?

2. When we travel 3-5 days, what are the stuffs we must prepare and watch out for?

3. Is there any neat calcium reactor to recommend(co2+CR in a set with build in pump)

4. Other than skimmer, what is important?

Thanks a million again

Haha... all the BIG questions there... I will try to answer them all:

1) I tried Aquapharm Bact Starter during my Nano Cube days... in tablet form. It's very easy to use and affordable too. The only thing you need to be aware of when adding bacteria is to switch off your protein skimmer.

2) 3 to 5 days is relatively short lah... to put it shortly, water level and food. You can make good use of electric timers. Again depending on what kinda LS you keep and how complex is your setup.

3) CO2 and CR in a set? Emm... may not be a good idea as you need to refill the CO2 tank quite often... I am planning to get a Deltec PF501 this week... to me... it is quite neat looking :)

4) Emm... everything is important actually... but lighting (if keeping light dependent corals) and wavemaker top my list. Fish/coral food is important too.

I'm sure other bros will help fill up the gap :)

• SRC Member

MOST IMPORTANT THING: PASSION !

im sure most bros will agree with me ... this hobby takes up alot of time .. alot of energy too .. and when u lose a precious LS ... u will be devasted ... it takes passion to keep it going !

What is this? :huh:

Minireef,

One of most important trait of a responsible marine hobbyist is DISCIPLINE.

Any good hobbyist will advise you to allow your tank to complete the cycling before stocking. That could range from 4-6 weeks or even longer. Its the natural process of bacteria dying off and multiplying again to compensate for the increasing processing load.

Meanwhile, you can do more reading and saving for better equipment.

1 fish/stocking a week is only a guideline for responsible stocking, the tank system needs to stabilise with each introduction of waste producing organism.

It is the feeding that kills, not the waste they produce.

If in the unfortunate event that you had begun to stock heavier than it reasonably should, you might want to consider transferring your excess stock to a mature tank, or crank up dosing of ammonia neutraliser.

Depending on the brand you use, excess dosing alter pH or any other parameter which might again cause undue stress to your tank inhabitants.

Good luck now and hope you get better advice next time.