Jervis' Percula 90

jervismun

• SRC Member
Thanks bro Subxero... thought nobody interested in this topic... so I quickly posted some nice pix instead...

The pH Probe should be same diameter... coz I have not physically played with a Deltec CR before, so can't tell if there's a need for connector or something... the AquaMedic CR requires a special socket ;) Will probably bring my probe down to RD when I get my salary <_<

Yalor... I am also thinking of using Mg Pro... thanks bro for confirming that... so what's the right proportion to add? Which bottom, which top?

Ok I will consider using the Tropic Marin Bio-Mg as I've read a lot of good reviews about it... although quite costly :nc:

Are you using the PF501? Or larger model? Do you think 2 hours of running is unrealistic?

Ha Ha.. bro jervis, thats the reason I sold off my AM CR. The price of their special probe is really :blink:

The recommended amount of Mg Pro is 10% of your CR media, on top of the media. I can't control where I want the Mg Pro to be, because media in my Deltec CR keeps circulating and they become a "mixture" <_< (It is a lot more "violent" that AM CR)

I've tried SeaChem, TM and salifert. IMO, I find that Tropic Marin bio-Mg is more effective. I do agree its a bit more costly, not sure if its due to its concentration as compared to those brands I've used before. There are some reefers who tried epsom salt and getting good results too.

I'm using PF501, the smallest version :D .

Although the manual recommend something like 8 to 10hrs a day during light-on period, I'm running it 24hrs a day. The reason could be we usually get the higher pH during light-on period, the CR output will try to bring pH down to prevent large pH swing which stressed the livestocks in our tank. :)

I think 2hrs of running may be insufficient, but since our setup is different so you have to try before you know. :rolleyes:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thanks: bro for your contribution... I am much more confident now... I will go and get it this week... yalor I am getting the same model as you :lol: Let me check if they have stock or else :cry2:

Oh I tried Aquapharm liquid magnesium... haha... I get what I paid for lor :nc:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Last pix of the day... notice the closed polyp? I have no idea why... but after 5 new tiny polyps extended from its sides... the mother polyp sorta closed and disappearing... is this a natural phenomenon? Emm... strange as the rest of the polyps are opening well ;)

post-34-1151858341.jpg

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

No problem bro jervis..

Just sharing what I've gone through. Wasted money buying some not so useful things :( , but I guess its the process of learning. By they way, I'm still learning :lol:

Better still ask them to deliver to you when they have stock for the CR.

I'm impressed with your review on the Aquatronica controller. :bow:

Now I'm considering if I should get one too. <_<

No problem bro jervis..

Just sharing what I've gone through. Wasted money buying some not so useful things :( , but I guess its the process of learning. By they way, I'm still learning :lol:

Better still ask them to deliver to you when they have stock for the CR.

I'm impressed with your review on the Aquatronica controller. :bow:

Now I'm considering if I should get one too. <_<

Yes we are all still learning... oh my... I am now a SHARK!!! :lol:

IMO Aquatronica is a good product... and it is rightly priced for general hobbyist... I am so so lucky to bought it before investing hundreds (if not thousands) on separate controllers/monitors such as Milwaukee/AI/AquaMedic :lol:

Just happen to be at the right time... :bow: the LFS that brought in this amazing product.

• SRC Member
investing hundreds (if not thousands) on separate controllers/monitors such as Milwaukee/AI/AquaMedic :lol:

You are referring to me :lol:

Instead of having a few controllers/monitors.. This toy enable you to plug everything into 1 computer. I like the part where you can download data onto your PC and it generates a graph. Good for lazy people :heh:

You are referring to me :lol:

Instead of having a few controllers/monitors.. This toy enable you to plug everything into 1 computer.  I like the part where you can download data onto your PC and it generates a graph. Good for lazy people  :heh:

Err... ooops :pinch:

I know... I am so impressed by the whole thing... totally didn't expect it being so detailed, elaborate and accurate... :lol: It's just good to have record of everything... especially things that happen when we are not around... but the best part of the product has yet to come :lol:

Haha... sorry guys... I hope I am not putting too much influence in you guys... probably in my blood... my job scope is to see the best parts in every design/creation (those done by my designers)... packaged it, present it and try to sell it to the client... now I hope I am not crossing hobby/job too much :pinch:

• SRC Member

:rolleyes: The feature #8 is very important. The lid just twist and open for ease of re-filling the medium.

For your tank size, and you're not into sps, it more than sufficient.

In previous RC "reefkeeping" magazine, there are a few chapters of CR tuning and info etc, you can refer to them.

When I get my CR, this is how I tune my CR with pH controller help;

Day 1 , KH=9.6,

Set pH controller at 6.2, turn on C02 solenoid for 2hours period, measure KH at 2 days later;

Day 3(2 days later), KH=8,

Then it means the CR cannot sustain the KH consumption, I then increased the hr to 4 hours period and pH remains the same, re-measure at 2 days later;

Day 5(another 2 days later), KH = 7.8 ~8 range.

It indicated the CR can sustain the KH consumption since the KH remain stable. Then I fixed this setting. Next I used KH buffer to raise till my ideal approx KH 9.4 range(my preference range).

This setting will remain for the time being, but if you change the lighting regime or increase more coral/clams(or more coralline algae) etc, you will need to check the KH and increase the hrs or drip rate accordingly.

Hope these info on CR tuning helps. :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

Managed to locate the date of the "reefkeeping" magazine.

The online "reefkeeping" magazine dated May 2002 contained the article on "A uide to using CR" will be useful to you.

Sorry, I don't know how to copy the link to here. ;)

Last pix of the day... notice the closed polyp? I have no idea why... but after 5 new tiny polyps extended from its sides... the mother polyp sorta closed and disappearing... is this a natural phenomenon? Emm... strange as the rest of the polyps are opening well ;)

bro anyway i notice that happen to my frag too... but after a while they will grew in numbers :)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

bro anyway i notice that happen to my frag too... but after a while they will grew in numbers :)

Isn't nature amazing?!? Wow... these are the little things that can keep popping up and keep amazes me all the time :lol: Long Live this Beatiful Hobby :P

Managed to locate the date of the "reefkeeping" magazine.

The online "reefkeeping" magazine dated May 2002 contained the article on "A uide to using CR" will be useful to you.

Sorry, I don't know how to copy the link to here. ;)

Thanks bro Happy for all the effort... I will try to capture it tonight... :lol:

Must also thank you for showing me your Deltec CR... one look at your CR... can tell the difference already... that's when (in a split second) I decided to go with Deltec already... (even RD refuses to give me 1% discount :lol::lol::lol: )

That's the amazing thing about sharing... :thanks::thanks::thanks:

Another closer look at the perished mother colony... it's offspring (total of 5 mini polyps) are doing fine... I guess this is a way to avoid the mother colony from covering the area... leaving much needed space for the new babies to grow... wow! Amazing :shock:

post-34-1151931873.jpg

• SRC Member

Err... ooops :pinch:

I know... I am so impressed by the whole thing... totally didn't expect it being so detailed, elaborate and accurate... :lol: It's just good to have record of everything... especially things that happen when we are not around... but the best part of the product has yet to come :lol:

Haha... sorry guys... I hope I am not putting too much influence in you guys... probably in my blood... my job scope is to see the best parts in every design/creation (those done by my designers)... packaged it, present it and try to sell it to the client... now I hope I am not crossing hobby/job too much :pinch:

I must agree with you. Its a good habit to keep records :D , so we can trace back to check if anything is "out of range".

Understand the situation/problem, and try to find a solution.. Isn't that what our teachers teaches us in school :lol:

• SRC Member
:rolleyes: The feature #8 is very important. The lid just twist and open for ease of re-filling the medium.

For your tank size, and you're not into sps, it more than sufficient.

In previous RC "reefkeeping" magazine, there are a few chapters of CR tuning and info etc, you can refer to them.

When I get my CR, this is how I tune my CR with pH controller help;

Day 1 , KH=9.6,

Set pH controller at 6.2, turn on C02 solenoid for 2hours period, measure KH at 2 days later;

Day 3(2 days later), KH=8,

Then it means the CR cannot sustain the KH consumption, I then increased the hr to 4 hours period and pH remains the same, re-measure at 2 days later;

Day 5(another 2 days later), KH = 7.8 ~8 range.

It indicated the CR can sustain the KH consumption since the KH remain stable. Then I fixed this setting. Next I used KH buffer to raise till my ideal approx KH 9.4 range(my preference range).

This setting will remain for the time being, but if you change the lighting regime or increase more coral/clams(or more coralline algae) etc, you will need to check the KH and increase the hrs or drip rate accordingly.

Hope these info on CR tuning helps. :rolleyes:

Sorry bro jevis, borrow your thread for a while.. need to ask bro happy something :paiseh:

Bro happy, I find that the lid is quite tight to twist and turn. Not sure if it is due to pressure build-up in the CR, or the o-ring which prevent leakage that increase the friction. I'm not very strong leh, any tricks to open it easily? :P

Anyone can identify this odd looking creature? :lol:

post-34-1151939601.jpg

This guy is really a reefer's best friend... he is extremely good at cleaning the sand bed, eating algar from the glass and rock surface... no regret despite its horrid look ;)

post-34-1151940847.jpg

My temperature graph of the day... amazing stuff... for once I can count how many times my Teco RA240 kicks in a single day... this is the power of information:

1) My chiller kicks in 5 times a day (actually not to bad huh?)

2) At night (no light), the chiller takes around 1 1/2 hours to bring down 1.5ºC

3) During intense lighting, the chiller takes a whopping 2 1/2 hours to bring down 1.5ºC

Extra info:

• Teco RA240 running w/ Aquabee 3000

• 225W

• Temp: 27ºC – 28.5ºC

• Tower fan blowing towards the tank/chiller all day except at night.

So with this information... you guys think I should upgrade my chiller?

post-34-1151941743.jpg

• SRC Member
My temperature graph of the day... amazing stuff... for once I can count how many times my Teco RA240 kicks in a single day... this is the power of information:

1) My chiller kicks in 5 times a day (actually not to bad huh?)

2) At night (no light), the chiller takes around 1 1/2 hours to bring down 1.5ºC

3) During intense lighting, the chiller takes a whopping 2 1/2 hours to bring down 1.5ºC

Extra info:

• Teco RA240 running w/ Aquabee 3000

• 225W

• Temp: 27ºC – 28.5ºC

• Tower fan blowing towards the tank/chiller all day except at night.

So with this information... you guys think I should upgrade my chiller?

Abt the same number of time my chiller have to take to cool 50 gallon of water, w/o sump.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

molted cleaner shrimp shell.

Yeah... 1 point to bro Colinsoon... ;) My cleaner shrimps are growing so damn huge... I think they doesn't belong to a 3ft anymore ;)