powerhead

hydra

Any idea what's the total litre/hour of water movement is needed for a 4X2X2 FT tank ?

I have just installed a return pump (from the sump) 2200 L/hrs. Probably will be about 1200 L/hrs when

it reaches the main tank. And I have also placed a powerhead in the main tank rated at 2200 L/hrs. Seems

like there are too much turbulent...what is the recommendation ?

Also which is the best direction for the powerheads ? Thanks.

• SRC Member

Hydra, just to share with you, I have 2x1200 L/hr PH in my 4x2x2.5 and a 1060 from the sump. I still see that some about half side of my tank(towards the back) is still stangant. I will probably need another PH to direct water to the rear from the side of my tank, better still use a reeftec. For your case, it depend on how much rock you have, and how they are being arrange. I would position the PH and the return pump such that both of them are blowing water at each other or in opposite direction, this will create some form of turbulance, just my thought.

Hi Clowntrigger, my idea is to push the water from the left side of the tank, to the

right where the overflow box is. So I have placed both return and PH at the left side,

pointing towards the overflow box.

It's quite tricky to find the stagnant zone in the tank. Why don't you try those splitter

where you can re-direct some the of flow to the rear of your tank ?

Are you getting reeftec ? I would like to get one too, but it's quite ex for just a few

pieces of acrylic assembly.

• SRC Member

hi hydra, yep me thinking of getting the reeftec cos I see that guy could push out a lot of current at a lower speed and at a wider angle which should be able to cover the entire tank with just one of these. I was thinking of the redirecting nozzle, but was afraid that when I do that, the strength of the actual current in the tank will weaken and also the current stream will be a narrow one, unless I can get the duck shape nozzle, which can project the water stream like a fan shape, that should help a little. Mm... maybe we could ask AT to give us the dimension of the reeftec housing and then we will DIY it :rolleyes:

Well, if you asked me...

The reeftec design is the most professional and well-done DIY job.

I brought it down to 2 acrylic shops and guess what? They say for the amount of hand work to produce it they will charge MORE than what I paid for it!!!

Surprising isn't it? So it could be worth the money after all... to import it.

You can try the other DIY reeftec designs..