My First 15 G Tank

yaoza

Thanks Jervismun, My tank is juz abit bigger than two feet.Lenght and breath longer by 5 cm.Height is ard 50cm. You think is it okie? Rite now i using the 6 mini fan.But the tempurture nt so stable as in keeps on changing.Not so good for coral.

Emm... fluctuations are unavoidable for a small tank like yours... (example a small cup of coffee will cold easily compared to a big kettle of hot water)... it's going to be a constant challenge for you not just in temperature but in almost all parameters (except salinity maybe). IMO, the 6 fans are quite redundant, they will do more harm than good to your tank. High surface air flow is not very good when it comes to evaporation. For your tank, you may find evaporation a constant chore (to top-up) and if the water is to go down for more than 5%... more than enough to affect your salinity already. Let the CL85 do its job.

Regarding temperature fluctuations... a difference of 2ºC to 3ºC within a day is still acceptable for fishes and hardy corals... more than that can be disastrous. If you place your tank in an air-con room... it's even trickier as the water temp can go very low (say 24ºC) at night.

The best is for you to identify the lowest temperature your water will drop within a day (be it natural ventilation or air-conditioned). Say 24ºC at night, then set your chiller to 26ºC. So during day time, the temperature will always be maintained at 26ºC - 27ºC (which is acceptable coz it is around 3ºC difference to your lowest temp. I'm sure you will know how to work out this simple formula :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emm... fluctuations are unavoidable for a small tank like yours... (example a small cup of coffee will cold easily compared to a big kettle of hot water)... it's going to be a constant challenge for you not just in temperature but in almost all parameters (except salinity maybe). IMO, the 6 fans are quite redundant, they will do more harm than good to your tank. High surface air flow is not very good when it comes to evaporation. For your tank, you may find evaporation a constant chore (to top-up) and if the water is to go down for more than 5%... more than enough to affect your salinity already. Let the CL85 do its job.

Regarding temperature fluctuations... a difference of 2ºC to 3ºC within a day is still acceptable for fishes and hardy corals... more than that can be disastrous. If you place your tank in an air-con room... it's even trickier as the water temp can go very low (say 24ºC) at night.

The best is for you to identify the lowest temperature your water will drop within a day (be it natural ventilation or air-conditioned). Say 24ºC at night, then set your chiller to 26ºC. So during day time, the temperature will always be maintained at 26ºC - 27ºC (which is acceptable coz it is around 3ºC difference to your lowest temp. I'm sure you will know how to work out this simple formula :)

Thanks man, appreciated. More power to sgreef club !!!! Rock on fellow reefers !!!! :bow:

wow, nice setup...

how much was the protein skimmer?

Well the protein skimmer is not that cheap :cry: got it for $238.00 SGD from LFS - Aqua Marine (Jalan Kayu), however I think its a good investment in the long run.... :P

Wow!!! Very nice KORAN Angel... bro you bought some Sponges there and they can be pretty hard to keep alive... so if they ever fade in colour... don't worry that much :lol: But once they fade off significantly, you may consider removing them from your tank to avoid polluting the water... once they fade off... they will go :angel::angel::angel:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

Wow!!! Very nice KORAN Angel... bro you bought some Sponges there and they can be pretty hard to keep alive... so if they ever fade in colour... don't worry that much :lol: But once they fade off significantly, you may consider removing them from your tank to avoid polluting the water... once they fade off... they will go :angel::angel::angel:

Thanks for the advice.... :peace:

• 4 weeks later...

Hehe... the sponges go :angel: as expected... they are so damn hard to keep especially in a new tank :unsure:

• SRC Member

there is a way to salvage a dying sponge ... tear it up ... im serious ... i did tt to my purple sponge... stuff it into a hole in a good flow area and you;ll soon see thats its ok...

• SRC Member

I'm liking the new scaping.

But perhaps a word of caution on your livestock choices. Firstly, in a 2 footer like urs (i'm guessing its a standard about 16 gallons), your major limitation is going to be in your livestock choices and number of fishes you can keep. U will see that most don't quite practice this and tend to overstock smaller nanos but it is in your best interest to limit your fish choices as well as their numbers as it'll directly assist/affect your water quality.

Other concerns about nanos are also swimming spaces for fishes, i hate to sound like the tang police but basically tangs shouldnt be kept in your nano as they generally grow to be much larger than your aquarium can handle and also require much more swimming space than you can provide in a 2 footer. Some smaller angels do well in nanos but not the larger species. A single flame angel would do fine in your nano and would probably make a great addition to the tank, just be mindful that they have tendencies to nip at LPS corals...but it's a hit and miss, some dont face that problem while others do.

Please don't get me wrong, am not trying to discourage you in anyway....i think you're doing a great job with the amount of preparation and planning you have put into your tank thus far. Just know that nanos have their joys as well as their limitations. Wisdom comes in knowing the difference between the two.

Good luck with the setup...and keep the pictures rolling ;)

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

Your lobo dun look too good man..

Can anybody who keep lobo advise him?

Yeah.. can anyone advise me, I think the color is not that bright anymore.. :unsure:

I'm liking the new scaping.

But perhaps a word of caution on your livestock choices. Firstly, in a 2 footer like urs (i'm guessing its a standard about 16 gallons), your major limitation is going to be in your livestock choices and number of fishes you can keep. U will see that most don't quite practice this and tend to overstock smaller nanos but it is in your best interest to limit your fish choices as well as their numbers as it'll directly assist/affect your water quality.

Other concerns about nanos are also swimming spaces for fishes, i hate to sound like the tang police but basically tangs shouldnt be kept in your nano as they generally grow to be much larger than your aquarium can handle and also require much more swimming space than you can provide in a 2 footer. Some smaller angels do well in nanos but not the larger species. A single flame angel would do fine in your nano and would probably make a great addition to the tank, just be mindful that they have tendencies to nip at LPS corals...but it's a hit and miss, some dont face that problem while others do.

Please don't get me wrong, am not trying to discourage you in anyway....i think you're doing a great job with the amount of preparation and planning you have put into your tank thus far. Just know that nanos have their joys as well as their limitations. Wisdom comes in knowing the difference between the two.

Good luck with the setup...and keep the pictures rolling ;)

Thanks for the advice man.... I'm still learning ... and learning... long way to go... :D

• SRC Member
Thanks for the advice man.... I'm still learning ... and learning... long way to go... :D

Dont sweat it buddy...in this hobby....we're all still learning.... ;)

As for your lobo losing its color, it could either be a result of water quality or that ur lighting may not be sufficient. How many watts are you having over the tank? U might wanna consider getting high output T5s instead of the regular T5s and i'm guessing there's only 2 tubes in the casing so the lighting may not be sufficient for the clam in the long run.

hth....

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

Great Great Great

Good job for the 15G. It is not easy like most reefers would say, but take it slowly and built it up slowly. You will realise that sometimes somethings will work for some other reefers but not you, not matter whatever you tried.

But so far your 15G is looking great.

Great Great Great

Good job for the 15G. It is not easy like most reefers would say, but take it slowly and built it up slowly. You will realise that sometimes somethings will work for some other reefers but not you, not matter whatever you tried.

But so far your 15G is looking great.

:paiseh: yeah... tnx, i'll strive to add more color to my tank.... slowly... mmmm :idea: I'm wondering what's my next coral would be.....

• 3 months later...
  • SRC Member

nice job keeping it neat. so much better than my previous 2feet

but something i am going to warn you, watch out for ur bioload and nitrate before it kills ur corals away

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||